Author Topic: Hungry creek where was it?  (Read 8169 times)

Offline vmxrider

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Hungry creek where was it?
« on: June 10, 2010, 02:58:03 pm »
Its been over 32 years since I had my last ride at Hungry Creek. One day I'd like to go and have a look at what the place looks like now that its just farmland and reminisce a bit about the old days. Might even ride the trusty old XL 250 Motosport there just for fun. Question is after the turn off to Peats Ridge just past where the Oak milk bar is or was, where to from there? I remember turning right along that road a bit but exactly where is a bit vague. Anyone?

Offline MX?

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Classic Bike Forum
Re: Hungry creek where was it?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 07:12:22 pm »
Was up near Wollembi. Went up there a few times long ago......for a "dirty weekend" as they called it.
I do remember a mate working up there (Earthmover) yonks ago, so I'm guessing it was developed.
This is an old pic I have on the 'puter (not much of one).....disregard the S600 tacked on the bottom, but the top one is my ole Monorail at Hungry Creek.  ;D

« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 07:29:45 pm by MX? »

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 07:38:05 pm »
What a coincidental small world it is. I spent a couple of hours at a close friends place this arvo, His good mate was there, a bloke from the Newcastle area. He used to dirt track, and spend allot of time hanging from sidecars around Australia.

He said he has boxes full of “Super Eight film” from ““70’s 80’s”” DT MX & CHAIRS. Including Hungry creek. He even has film from events in Tasmainia(bring on the popcorn). 

Naturally now, I have an extra goal of achievement for this year.

1)   to find a super eight projector.
2)   A screen(or a white sheet)
3)   Industrial quantity of popcorn.
4)   Index and label his films.
5)   Sign a contract with old mate.
6)   Pay for conversion to digital edit.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 08:09:05 pm by MICK-DE »
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline AjayVMX

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • VMX Magazine
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 07:44:11 pm »
Hungry Creek was on "Murray's Run" which was a road off the Wolombi road, you turn off at "The Letter A"

Offline vmxrider

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 12:05:20 pm »
Thanks for the directions, will make my way there soon. Hope the landscape hasn't changed too much, don't want to erase the great memories of those "dirty weekends". VMX mag had an article a while back on Hungry creek. I guess places like Louee are the modern version.   

Offline vmxrider

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 07:05:56 pm »
Well I rode out today to where I thought Hungry creek once was. Turned off at letter A on the Wollombi road then onto Murrays run. It all seemed a little familiar to my 35 year old faded memory of the place but dont think I could pick exactly where it was. A few farm more houses along the way and a lot of the road now sealed. Anyway was a nice day for a road ride and a nice break from all the Christmas/new year festivities.   

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 02:19:00 pm »
What a coincidental small world it is. I spent a couple of hours at a close friends place this arvo, His good mate was there, a bloke from the Newcastle area. He used to dirt track, and spend allot of time hanging from sidecars around Australia.
He said he has boxes full of “Super Eight film” from ““70’s 80’s”” DT MX & CHAIRS. Including Hungry creek. He even has film from events in Tasmainia(bring on the popcorn).
Naturally now, I have an extra goal of achievement for this year.
1)   to find a super eight projector.
2)   A screen(or a white sheet)
3)   Industrial quantity of popcorn.
4)   Index and label his films.
5)   Sign a contract with old mate.
6)   Pay for conversion to digital edit.
If you do steps 1 to 5 and put a digital movie camera next to the projector, at step 3, then you won,t have to do step 6.
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

211kawasaki

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 02:06:39 pm »
Anyone get blasted by a sneeky can of baked beans in the fire up there? Its a cross Ive been carrying for 35 years and need to confess.

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 02:14:11 pm »
Are you changing your name to Earl Dave?
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

211kawasaki

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 06:04:59 pm »
No list here but every time I think of Hungry Creek I remember Brett Halvorsen and me sneeking around putting cans in fires and sitting up on the hill near the dunnys watching the carnage unfold below us. We were not the best neighbours to camp next to but were there for weeks on end every school holidays.
When you think about it it was pretty rough, the old girl would drop us off with the bikes gear and camping stuff and all we had to eat was GI cordial, baked beans (carton of 24), canned spag (carton of 24) and a couple of loafs of bread. "see you in a couple of weeks Mum!" We were 15 and 16 and I just cant imagine it happening now but it was a great time. If we didnt go to Hungry Creek we went to the brick pits at Terry Hills (Menai stunk to much to camp out there - sorry Mark)
Would'nt you love a time machine to go back to those days.
CD is like it, at CD7 one of the old camping buddies came along - same bike, same camping but better food and beer but a time trip all the same.

Offline Stewart Allen

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 07:50:35 pm »
Never suffered the baked bean fate you described, did suffer an alternative baked bean fate that was equally unpleasant if you just waking from a nioght of "fire crawling" in lieu of the lack of pubs.
CHEERS STEWART

Doing it to old things is fun
# 74 Heaven
IT490 Will be going one day soon
CR125M
SL175 bitza
IT250D needs work
CR250RE Not going as yet
YZ125F

Offline vmxrider

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 10:49:39 pm »
The very last time I ever rode at hungry creek was around December 1978, was taveling up the coast on my trusty old DT 175, and decided to stop over for a bit of riding and a nights camping. Come to think of it, there were a couple of likeable young larikins doing the baked beans in the fire trick.

211kawasaki

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2011, 08:23:51 pm »
Do Be Do Be do ;D

Offline crs-and-rms

• Legend
  • heaven 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2011, 09:34:14 pm »
i use to go to hungry creek with  my cousin we would get dropped there for the week or two weeks depending on what school holidays it was baked beens, bread, bananas ,water , fuel and oil we had a coton tent with no floor always had a great time  .think  time wise it was 75 to 76 they had movies in the old barn ,a small shop it was before they had the pool. the motorcross track had a wooden bridge across a small creek

Offline jerry

• Legend
  • Beware the work ethic of the evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2011, 12:53:08 pm »
Good article in VMX #23 Page 55 Enjoy Cheers Jerry