Author Topic: Go Pro Helmet Camera Tip  (Read 1175 times)

Ji Gantor

Go Pro Helmet Camera Tip
« on: June 02, 2010, 05:59:55 pm »
I used my Go Pro Helmet Camera hero 170 on Sunday during a trail ride at Kingaroy.
When I fixed it to my helmet all was well.
When I removed it an hour later the lense was completely condensed.

What happened?

Well thinking back when I last had the camera out of the housing to install new batteries and down load a video was 1 month before. I did this during the day which was about 29degs C with 90% humidity.
Moist air entered the camera housing and condensed on the lense when I was at high speed on a cold morning.

Here is the tip
Always open the back of your camera housing just before you use it. This should allow the moisture content to equalise.

The first 20 minutes of the vid is great the last 20 minutes is like looking through a milk bottle.

Ji

Ji Gantor

Re: Go Pro Helmet Camera Tip
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 10:51:04 pm »
The next tip is to always use fresh lithium AAA batterys every video ride.
This little camera chews the batterys.

Tight nuts

Ji

Offline fatboyracing

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 06:27:47 am »
Hi Ji Gantor,
I have one of these helmet cams also, great camera, I have some great vids from nationals and HBBB. I found that the batterys need to be replaced every 2 to 3 hours of filming even when they are the best money can buy I think I paid $14 for 2 of them Ultra lithium batterys.I havent tried rechargable batterys yet but I would be interested to know if anyone has tried them and how long they lasted.

Also found that the sound volume is very low as the housing doesnt have a hole for the microphone. If I was to put holes in for it ,it wouldnt be waterproof any more. Any ideas??

cheers
Fatboy

Ji Gantor

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 07:23:38 am »
Hi Fatboy,
Yes I have used rechargable batterys and they only last an hour or so.
If you don't want to miss a second of action replace the batterys every time you use it.
It does cost a bit but so did film in the old days.

The camera comes with default settings go back through your manual and select hi volume.
This will pick up much more sound.

Tight nuts

Ji

mx250

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 07:26:33 am »

If I was to put holes in for it ,it wouldnt be waterproof any more. Any ideas??

Put the hole in the case but cover it with thin plastic like Gladwrap ;) :). Hey, don't sue me. I'm not recommending it but it would work. I wouldn't guarantee it for life. The exclusion of water and dust wouldn't be guaranteed.But regular checks and replacement..........

Ji Gantor

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 07:32:38 am »
I wouldn't drill a hole in the housing as we went trail riding at Kingaroy two weekends ago and it rained all day Saturday.
I still got some good footage.
Dust is also a killer of electronics.

Tight nuts

Ji