Author Topic: Fox Factory triple clamps  (Read 12961 times)

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
Fox Factory triple clamps
« on: May 29, 2010, 09:30:17 AM »
Is there someone in Australia making Fox triple clamps?

I have a friend in the USA who recalls someone here who is/was reproducing them and selling them on ebay maybe a year ago?

If anyone has any info please let me know.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline flower pot racing

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Fox Factory triple clamps
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 09:10:42 PM »
Just seen this.  I know where they are.  43mm (so you get the look and can use any 43mm fork) or 44mm are available. Come with all Titanium fittings as standard (not imperial like the originals)

If you can appreciate how things are made and like beautiful work then you will not be dissapointed.

Steering stems for CR250 78-80 available to press straight in.

Other bits and bobs also available.  (dust seal covers for teh 44mm forks for example)

Various Fox airshox parts as well.  bodies, tops bottoms, bladders, seal kit, the tab washer for the internal nut on the shaft, the shaft nut (made in Ti) etc, etc, etc, etc!

I did see some in the US had a bike with a set on that were also beautiful.  I spoke to him about them and he said they were a one off.  They looked stunning and had the Fox log CNC's into them.

PM me if you need any more info

Offline SON

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 09:44:58 PM »
UK or OZ ?

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 09:45:34 PM »
Dunno if we are talking about the same place but the ones in the USA with fox head logo are made my RCM (would have been who i referred to as 'my friend' above i reckon)
They are not exactly a a 'one off' though. He can make them for more people if they want. Its all done by CAD. Hes also going to do/can do replica Works type KYB Proline billet clamps for early RM/PE (he has an original set to copy) and i am working with him at making some adjustments to that design to enable use on 79-82 RM's with 38mm forks and 80-84 PE's with 36 and 38mm. The true replica of the clamps sold by DG Performance will be identical but the ones to fit later models are mostly likely going to have bolt on bar mounts enabling different pull backs like the Fox factory clamps. The main difference we need to make is shifting the steering stops and the later ones will probably just be press in stem. Plus other trick parts are in the system now  and just needing time to get into CAD inc 6 petal repro DG reed blocks and 4 Petal replica R&R reed blocks are also a possibility as well as all the usual repro Fox gas and airshock parts hes already making for Thor. Complete brand new replica Fox gas shocks can me made from scratch with a few updates like spherical bearings and billet eyes. Saw them the otherday and they look amazing.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 09:48:03 PM by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline SON

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 09:52:14 PM »
Which model Works SUZUKI Clamps ?
Any photos ?

Offline Canam370

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 10:49:07 PM »
I thought Rod Spry in the UK was doing all the Fox goodies.
WANTED. Canams;all models,complete or parts.SWM stuff too!

I'm THE Thread Killer - when I post a thread dies!

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 11:19:06 PM »
As i understand it  (i could be wrong) the KYB 'Proline' triple clamps (which also came with 38mm forks with billet sliders) were made available as an aftermarket item and were either just a direct copy from some works clamps around 76-78 period or were exactly what what some works riders actually used anyway. i think KYB just thought they could make some money and decided to offer them direct to public. I could not say specifically if they are copied from a particular riders bike or something like that but several of the top riders of that period were using them. Around 78ish they were available as aftermarket item to public and sold through DG Performance and possibly Hallman? (since they sold the KYB airshocks too). These KYB billet clamps were intented to go on RM's 76-78 period and PE 77-79. Thats pretty much what they look like, they are that generation clamp with bar mounts straight up above the fork caps and not laid back like N,T,X models and the steering stops are on top of the bottom triple.

Its my plan to modify this design slightly so they will work on 79-82 RM (pre 43mm, theres already guys out there doing 43mm billet clamps) and 80-84 PE. They can be bored at manufacture time to 36/38mm thats no big deal. The mods that need doing are, changing the top bolt orientation to come in from the side (like 79 on clamps do which enables stock cable guide and PE special tool bracket) and the steering stops need to be shifted to the back of the bottom triple for later models and the later models have press in stem and no pinch bolt on bottom so we can get rid of that. Bar mounts will be bolt on and look similar to Fox factory in shape, so you can have the laid back mounts like 79-84 RM/PE or if you want custom height/pullback or straight up like pre 79 then that can be done too. The true copies of the KYB Proline clamps will have solid mounts though like they were. This does make the expense higher though as the raw material has to be thicker to begin with. These are not intended to be fancy or modern looking in anyway and the aim is to make them look how billet clamps were made back then.

These triples will also go on DR/SP's suzuki aswell!

They are not anywhere near production at all yet and aint gonna be cheap but if more people get on board then the price might be cheaper???? i will post info on here when they are closer to be being made.

I have photos of original KYB Proline forks/triples i have seen on ebay but can't post them now. If you got 78-80 DG performance catalogue you can see them in there.

Ok here you go. NOS set on ebay yrs ago. These triples can be exactly reproduced if anyone wants some

And here is a pic of the replica Fox clamps made by RCM

Also while i think of it, he can make Simons triple clamps too and has them already done in CAD.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 11:36:11 PM by LWC82PE »

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2014, 12:06:43 AM »
I cant see the pic of the RCM yokes on my PC.  But I think this is the place that made the ones I saw.  If I remember rightly the Fox logo is machined into the side of the bar clamps?  Nice looking kit...

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2014, 12:07:34 AM »
UK or OZ ?
Eh?

What is the question?  I am in the UK.

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2014, 12:10:21 AM »
I thought Rod Spry in the UK was doing all the Fox goodies.

yes Rod Spry in the UK has a lot of Fox parts.  A lot of his stuff is genuine NOS parts in the original bags.  More than enough parts to build new shocks!  He is a top bloke and knows them inside out.  You wont go wrong with Rod.

I also have quite a few parts.

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2014, 01:25:30 AM »
There are 2 photos in my post and i can see them. Yes the Fox are done by RCM. i think hes only made one set so far? and they went on a Honda which was feautured in VMX mag.

I looked for Rod sprys fox stuff but theres nothing on either of his sites. I want some of the Ti air shock lock nuts.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 01:27:47 AM by LWC82PE »

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2014, 02:04:48 AM »
I have got the Ti stiff nuts and the tab washers (that should really be fitted at the same time)

Not sure how up to date Rod'd site is, I know he has been very busy of late.

PM me your email address and I can help you out

Offline SON

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2014, 03:48:14 AM »
UK or OZ ?
Eh?

What is the question?  I am in the UK.
Yes Flower Pot I knew you are in the UK,
I was meaning the manufacturer of the copied clamps, as the thread started as someone in OZ was making the clamps, we know you are the seller of FoxShox parts,
But this is the first time I have seen something on copied clamps.
I sold the FoxShox and FoxForx when they were brand new back in 1978/79,
I still have several sets,
I also have a set of Hallman Kayaba Forks on my Aberg and a set of Brand New with the box DG Kayabas
I also have several sets of Works KYB forks including a set of 38s from one of DeCosters bikes and a US set, and some Kawasaki 43mm early 80s Disc braked sets.
I can email photos or put them on my Facebook page, put still can't post them on here,

Offline ola_martin

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2014, 05:54:28 AM »
I have seen Flower Pot Ben's replica FOX clamps in the flesh, they are stunning, I feel they look more like the original, and have less of the "modern CNC style look" of the ones above.
They even have machined the little casting-edge around the middle like the originals had!

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2014, 08:13:15 AM »
mmmmmm Nice to know that someone I respect noticed the details Ola! 

Special cutters were made to replicate the draft angle of the originals.  They could have just been slab sided ones, but oh no the book of common sense went out the window and special cutters were made to produce some magnificent parts.  Good job I am not an accountant, the bean counters would go mad! 

As always the devil is in the detail.