Author Topic: Good Bye BOC  (Read 17530 times)

Ji Gantor

Re: Good Bye BOC
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2010, 05:13:56 pm »
Hi Mark,
I don't know but I will ask tomorrow for you.

Ji

Ji Gantor

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2010, 05:17:29 pm »
Googling tells me that the heat tag is required to tell the filler if the bottle has been near a furnace or in a fire.
I am not even sure I will be able to fill this bottle back in Sydney so I don't think this will effect me.
BOC and Liquard Air will not fill it up here in Bris.

Ji
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 05:19:30 pm by Ji Gantor »

Ji Gantor

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2010, 05:25:14 pm »
This bottle is taller than my BOC cylinder and has more gas.

Ji

oldfart

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2010, 05:29:05 pm »
Not too sure Ji ... I have a BOC account and they are on My  - Argon 061 - oxy 020 bottles  and nil on acety 040.
There is a New kid on the block in Beenliegh I must check out as I have been informed thier rentals & refills are much cheaper ( Supagas )

Ji Gantor

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2010, 06:04:37 pm »
Thanks Oldfart,
I too will keep checking tomorrow as this is important.
Work place health and safety wise not to mention insurance wise on my buildings.

Ji

Ji Gantor

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2010, 11:01:14 pm »
Here is a great spot to read about gas bottles here in Australia.
http://safety.chemistry.unimelb.edu.au/pdf/BOC_Guidelines_for_Gas_Cylinder_Safety.pdf

Ji

Ji Gantor

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2010, 07:28:20 am »
I too am pissed of with BOC, over charge for the rentals on there bottles, I have oxy, acetelene and argoshield, even the refill costs are a rip off!!
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Ji Gantor

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2010, 08:01:01 am »
Apparently they extract Argon straight out of the air.
The device sucks in some of our atmosphere and separates all the gases.

Ji

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2010, 09:04:56 am »
Apparently they suck the oxygen out of the air to fill the bottles too

I don’t know about BOC having the monopoly, there has always been Air Liquide and Linde ever since my working days started.
Linde changed their name to something else a few years ago but I can’t think what it is at the moment.
Supagas is the new kid on the block for at least the last 5 years, maybe longer and now it seems we have Speedgas too.
From what I have seen though they must be in cahoots as their rental charges are all much the same.
Owning the bottles would certainly be a good saving. Air Liquide had a good deal many years ago if you paid 5 years rental up front it was way cheaper but they don’t do this anymore (or they keep it a secret).

I pissed off my acetylene a few years back and switched to LPG.
It feels the same for brazing, heating and cutting but not as good for welding, I only tried to weld with it once and couldn’t set a neutral flame so gave up.
The advantage of LPG is the gas is much cheaper and you can also save on rental as the fittings are the same as for you normal BBQ bottle.
You need different tips for LPG, possibly the torch too but I can’t see any difference in them.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

monaro308

« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2010, 10:24:28 am »
Hey Geoff,silly question. A few years back i had to get an exhaust and muffler apart (car)
I used my oxy/ac and as usual you run out of one of those,in my case oxygen.
I used my compressor to fill the oxy bottle with only compressor pressure and it got me out of trouble
The flame looked the same but the time to heat the pipe/join was way longer.
i'm wondering if its because of the actual compressor pressure instead of the very high bottled pressure.

I wonder if its the same when using LPG which a lot of tradies are using ie soft cock tight arse plumbers  ;) that drive gaylux's and go fishing on the days that end with DAY (mainly a few of mates)

I also tried the same in desperation when i had one last weld to do with the TIG.
A one second trial convinced me it was no good for TIG welding.
That last 1 inch of weld on a fuel tank cost me a $120 bottle of argon...damn that hurts plus the rental for the next unused months.
I used BOC for a couple of years and gave them the flick and use Supagas...rental about the same but the refill is a few bucks cheaper.
The whole gas rental/pricing is a rip off in my view.

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2010, 11:01:11 am »
The chances of running out of gas near the end of a job is directly proportional to the importance of the job being finished on time multiplied by the closing time and proximity of the gas suppliers.

It wasn’t the gas pressure that affected the flame but the purity of the gas.
Oxygen in a bottle is better for a flame than compressed air which contains a lot of impurities. Air is made up of many gases.
There’s another technical thread for someone, “What sort of air is air made from” :D

LPG is a softer flame but theirs something about setting the flame right to be able to weld with it. What ever it is I can’t be bothered.
I changed to LPG because I’m a soft cock tight arse Sheetie that would love to go riding on any day that ends in day

The idea of Argon around the weld is to keep the atmosphere away.
Inert gases are used for this, Helium also does the job.
TIG = Tungsten Inert Gas
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

monaro308

« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2010, 12:23:22 pm »
Lol...well said
I knew about the impurities and why argon and oxygen is used,maybe i was just trying to get out of being a tight arse soft cock motor mechanic.....but at least i turn up and fix the plumbers gaylux on time so he and his boyfriend can go fishing and rub oil on each other ;D
I'm fine with sheeties and real tradies that have to pay building leases and bills unlike plumbers and plasterers with 2 RDO's and stop work if they damage a finger nail crying about working out of a van or gaylux ;D ;D ;D
As you can tell most of my mates are in those trades.....lol

I'm with you on the riding days though.
Back to gases

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2010, 12:57:48 pm »
Last Time I rang BOC I said before they had a chance to answer ,I said Is this the bottle rental company.  ;D
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2010, 01:22:40 pm »
Hey Geoff,silly question. A few years back i had to get an exhaust and muffler apart (car)
I used my oxy/ac and as usual you run out of one of those,in my case oxygen.
I used my compressor to fill the oxy bottle with only compressor pressure and it got me out of trouble
The flame looked the same but the time to heat the pipe/join was way longer.
i'm wondering if its because of the actual compressor pressure instead of the very high bottled pressure.

I use gas detectors at work and never seen the O2 content above 20.9% (Nitrogen is 78% of the air we breathe) so you only had 20% by volume of actual O2 in the bottle. Next would have been the water vapour from the compressor you put into the bottle.Nothing to do with the pressure as that is regulated anyway.

There’s another technical thread for someone, “What sort of air is air made from” :D

A better one would be "What sort of air changes the tune of your engine" ;D
Jesus only loves two strokes