Author Topic: Just asking, i can fit reeds in a PRe 75 Cr125 and its legal right ?  (Read 7087 times)

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
Just asking, i can fit reeds in a PRe 75 Cr125 and its legal right ?
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
It should be legal Freaky.. you could buy a Gem reed block in 1974 for a 125 and 250 Elsinore but who knows with the rules nowadays.

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
freaky
yes you can but must NOT BE V FORCE
a gem is ok

DR

A GEM reed setup will enhance the CR's low end power but it's a trade off and you may find it'll lose a little off the top ;) I tried a GEM reed on my TM125 when I first built it and that's basically what happened.

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
Doc if your tm lost power up top than the reed valve and manifolding are acting as a restrictor, maybe a larger r/valve out of a 250 would give increased flow

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
I think the Gem Type interreed, on a TM v's a CR on Alchy will be a little hard to compare, plus it might actualy fix the Cr125 'must run at 60,000 rev or nothing" problem anyway  ;D

Been messing with it and its been about the same line drag as the TM 250 on petrol, but against the other Cr's on petrol and Piston port its been 4 sec faster per 30sec laps, so looks to make a big differance in combination.  Just wanted to be sure i wasnt crossing the line, i assumed it was fine as other bikes ran Reeds in Pre 75 so basically your just transferring the technology across. 

Thought it was just worth checking before i committed to saying it was 110% legal ( i scrutineer on the classic line and dont want to shoot myself in the foot and look like a bigger peanut)  :D
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 03:50:40 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

DR

30 second laps :-\..obviously we are talking about flat track where it's a HP thing but the flow problem remains static no matter what fuel you run. I think you'll find the CR will develop more top end power without the reed regardless simply due to the reeds messing with the inlet flow especially at high rpm.

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
to get it to work properly you need to get the barrell ported.you cant just bolt a reed valve on a piston port motor and think it will work.
look at the difference between you rt1 and yz to see what i mean.
jim

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
Freaky - Jim is right in that it is not just a bolt on.  I believe two types were available - mossbarger and Gem.  I had the Gem on my 250 but it also needs porting and windows to the piston as well to get maximum benefit.  Doc - my well set up 250 absolutely flew with the Gem set up - made a huge difference to stock.

regards

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

DR

I was actually going to say it isn't as simple as bolting it on but I assumed since the bike was running alcohol that the motor would probably be extensively ported and running a huge carb anyway ;)

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
ported with 36mm MUK   ;)

i know it works, i just needed to be sure its legal in case people ask questions :)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 06:39:48 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

Offline micks

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
moms 18.6.04 c)no reeds valves perrmitted on machines up to and including pre 1970 class

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
freaky
yes you can but must NOT BE V FORCE
a gem is ok

There is no restrictions or rules to cover reed cages themselves.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
Lozza - V force by design maybe but not V Force by make ie later? :-*  ;)
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

firko

You can run a reed cage aa long as it's a period piece of equipment. GEM, Mossberger and even a DT/MX Yamaha reed block welded to the Honda barrel is acceptable. I'm certain you won't get away with later setups unless you're a master of disguising your work  ;).