Author Topic: 76/78 Mountain Man or Mr Motocross??? (Plus one Tivoli ring in)  (Read 7085 times)

IT400C

I took these photos when I was a 12-14 year old, except for the last on which I think is Dad's...  ;)

Unknown riders at Echo Valley

Unknown Rider going over the top at Echo Valley

Echo Valley

Gally at Echo Valley

Gall and Gunter, where else but Echo Valley....   ::)

And of course,  classic Gally at Tivoli....  (Gally's autographed the back of this one for me..)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 02:14:50 pm by IT400C »

Doggy Digger

Re: 76/78 Mountain Man or Mr Motocross??? (Plus one Tivoli ring in)
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 02:34:16 pm »
What the F**k!?

Even more extraordinary pix mate.   So clear, close and well framed.   Gold again!   Thanks for posting.   

Offline ba-02-xr

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 03:37:49 pm »
Isnt it strange that back in those days everyone wore some sort of upper body protection. Every rider in those pics are. Today very few do. I supose it dosn't look "cool".

All Things 414

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 04:21:23 pm »
Isnt it strange that back in those days everyone wore some sort of upper body protection. Every rider in those pics are. Today very few do. I supose it dosn't look "cool".

I suppose that has a bit to do with it however the shoulder/arm back stuff under a jersey is pretty restrictive. I stopped wearing heaps of the stuff years ago (however I do have a neck brace on) and found it felt better to ride without feeling like a mutant ninja turtle..... :)

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 04:58:48 pm »
i wouldnt ride with out my full body kit it save my life once(that 1 is in the bin as the tree root i hit smashed it up) and heck brace
jim

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 05:53:59 pm »
Great shots.. you should have been a photographer.
The 2nd pic is the late Geoff Worrell. I'm actually heading to Echo Valley this weekend for the 4th round of the Aussie MX Nationals.

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 07:59:43 pm »
Great shots.. you should have been a photographer.
The 2nd pic is the late Geoff Worrell. I'm actually heading to Echo Valley this weekend for the 4th round of the Aussie MX Nationals.

Competing or spectating Johnny O?
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 08:50:23 pm »
Just spectating Hoony, no Vets at these races.

Offline ba-02-xr

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 08:27:02 am »
I was there as well Johnnyo. Great day.

DR

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 08:56:35 am »
I notice Gunters bike in the 2nd pic 'appears' to have the fabled black optional alloy arm with floating brake and Fox shox...mmmm..all back in 1976  ::) :P great pics Tony..brilliant actually! 8)

IT400C

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 01:10:09 pm »
I notice Gunters bike in the 2nd pic 'appears' to have the fabled black optional alloy arm with floating brake and Fox shox...mmmm..all back in 1976  ::) :P great pics Tony..brilliant actually! 8)

Doc, here's a crop of the original (un-scaled) scanned image..  It's a lot clearer..   ;D 

If you want, I can bring the photo back in to work and try for a better quality scan too...  Was just using simple settings for these images (the network doesn't like when the scans are more that 20mb each)   ::)

IT400C

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2010, 01:13:15 pm »
I notice Gunters bike in the 2nd pic 'appears' to have the fabled black optional alloy arm with floating brake and Fox shox...mmmm..all back in 1976  ::) :P

what's the story with this anyway?? Am I missing something? ???

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2010, 01:14:14 pm »
I saw that doc and was wondering if anyone would comment about it.

IT400C

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2010, 01:39:12 pm »
Actually, if Gunter's riding as "N1", it could have been the Queensland MX Championships - the reigning QLD Champ would have had "1", and Gunter'd be riding as the New South Wales number "1".

You guys should take the dates of these photo's with a pinch of salt - I'm just working from my memory of things 34 years ago..

Shouldn't be too hard for someone with more intimate knowledge of the bikes of that era to identify the models though..
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 01:40:45 pm by IT400C »

DR

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2010, 02:05:25 pm »
I was just shit stirring Tony :D The little alloy arms on the pre'78 RM's were always rumored to be something that may or may not have existed but as shown it clearly did exist ;) The alloy arms from the '78 C models are identical to these earlier optional arms give or take some black paint and a small lug on the underside for the brake stay arm which most gun riders flicked in favor of a frame mounted lug as per Tony Gunters' bike in that photo. My argument was the alloy arms from the '78 model should be allowed in pre'78 as the C model arms were clearly a flow on part (albeit, an optional part) from the A and B models. Most pics appear to me be from '77 and '78. RM B's and C's and YZ D's and E's ;)

Johnny, I bet you knew I'd comment sooner or later..just can't help myself can I  ::) :D