Author Topic: Wanganui on the net  (Read 6937 times)

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
Wanganui on the net
« on: December 16, 2007, 05:11:59 pm »
 Not mx-related, but a friend has advised that the Boxing Day roadrace from Wanganui's Cemetery Circuit will be streamed live on the net this year, info from speedbox.tv. There's usually some good motard racing, as well as madmen cutting loose on a tight, bumpy mile-long street circuit. Just a thought....
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
Re: Wanganui on the net
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 05:53:42 pm »
And it all happens 1k down the road from me ;D. A few VMX boys meet at my place and we walk to the meeting with our eskies full of beer and watch real road racing like they did 50yrs ago ;D.

Motard racing, and there is a dirt section.

F3 and the local Wanganui Club race

Sidecars
If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer

Offline geraldo

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 09:07:39 pm »
thats not our own VMXer Wayne 'Weasel' Marshall on the KX500 is it ???

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 10:55:32 pm »
I went there in '04 while holidaying, it was crazy. Motards and roadies in the same race taking different lines...yuk! Pretty scary track too,going around a corner while going over railway tracks. Caught a couple of riders out. Im pretty sure there was an old rm there as well, like an rm400 or something like that. It was a good day out.

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 05:13:05 am »
#14 is Wayne who marks out our VMX tracks(and races) that you guys seem to think are golf courses and the guy behind him #183 is Mark "The Eel" who races VMX also. Their are usually a few VMXers who race the Cemetry Circuit. The bike I think 090 is thinking of is a TM400 highly modified and he has a XR500 that is cutting egde. Ya have to hear it to believe it.
090 is would have been nice if we had have known each other and you could have stayed at my place with other VMXers. ;D ;D

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 06:23:25 pm »
Yeah would have been great. I wasn't even into vmx then either ::). Thats a nice shot of Josh McFarlane on the Aprilia. When i was going around the pits i saw an aussie that i knew who had an invite to ride there. Bloody aussies they're everywhere!

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 06:32:35 pm »
Hey 090 thats because "Wanganui is the centre of the universe" esspecially when it comes to motorbikes. There are a couple of aussies coming over again to race. Maybe you should be one 090 ??? ;D ;). Josh was great to watch last year but in the last race he dropped it siding into the dirt section and must have broken something (possible the gear shifter) as the retired 100m down the track. But man does he know how to slide a bike into the corners.

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 07:27:43 pm »
I will take you up on the offer next year thanks mate  ;) Love to tear one of those golf courses up for sure.
Cheers, Brad

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 07:38:59 pm »
Name your poison, and we will do everything we can to get the bike for you. The golf course is the easy part ;D ;D ;D ;). Motorbikes are faster than those old codgers on those golf carts ;) ;D

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 10:45:41 pm »
 Apparently they are broadcasting 22 races on the day, incl NZ championship rounds, historics, motards, sidecars, the works, cost will be US$6.95 for the day. See if we can spot DJ and the lads !
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2007, 08:50:00 pm »
The days racing is over and I didnt get many pictures of the bikes but we had a great day (Me and Bill) drinking and having fun. ;D ;D

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2007, 05:45:04 am »
The big winner on the day was Morley's son Craig. He was riding a GSXR1000. I was talking to Morley after the days racing and he said he has fond memories of racing over in Aussie, but he did mention something about snakes. Someone must have said watch out for the snakes, and at one point on the track he said he come off and ended up in a little valley with bushes all around him and he said he hadnt moved so fast in all his life to get out of there and back onto the bike ;D ;D

Offline yzhilly

• Legend
  • Melbourne
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2008, 09:28:16 pm »
Hey DJ i just got my ADB mag with the Aust Supermoto Champs dvd and they had the cemetry race on awesome looks nice and fast but jeez there was some ugly buggers in the crowd.And the weather ??? pissing down leading up and raceday sunny looks like a lot fun drinkin beers watchin them anyway.They only showed the supermotard .
yzhilly ,YZ400E,,YZ250J,YZ125K,YZ100K,IT465H ,IT400D,IT250K , IT200L,XR250,XL250R,XL200R,XL125
Viper #436

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2008, 09:46:50 pm »
DJ ,
Would you know Malcom or brother Kyle Rogerson,they are Wanganui boys they are in there mid 30's.
Kyle is still there and has a drilling busines.Father owned a garage/mechanic shop.
Mal is in Newman WA
cheers
Best is in the West !!

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2008, 07:50:47 pm »
Hi VMX247, how do you know the Rogerson boys? I think Kyle still has a bike and they still live out Kai iwi way. Years ago the Wanganui MX club track was on their property.