Author Topic: Who likes KSI's????  (Read 5798 times)

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

SAABCOMBI

Re: Who likes KSI's????
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 07:32:37 pm »
l was wondering how long it would take for someone to spot this bike and put it on the forum.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 07:38:05 pm »
This is the second time it's been on ebay in the last fortnight and it's hard to believe it hasn't sold.

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 09:14:21 am »
YUK!

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 09:21:04 am »
Not a fan then K man  :D
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 10:35:02 am »
Who likes KSI's????
Not I. They look very home made.

firko

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 11:18:09 am »
This is a rare piece of kit. There's a fairly lengthy thread concerning Cheneys and the KSI and their similarity somewhere else on the forum. I may have seen this bike before. I recall racing at an event in Corona in or around '77/78 and being pitted next to bar one from these guys with a KSI with red guards instead of the correct yellow. It may be a different bike but the fenders do narrow it down a bit. In my opinion these bikes are the ducks guts as far as early Honda XL conversions and I'd love one. With a bit of a resto, this bike would look far less home made and more like the designers intended. Where's KSI Derek?

suzuki43

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 06:06:39 pm »
I'm with Firko they are nice,typical Lady Bradalot your taste is in your arse.....along with your husbands you know what  :-*
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 06:16:38 pm by suzuki43 »

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 06:18:39 pm »
The fact that Marty Moates rode one in the GP's makes them cool and an important part of history for me.. and i've always had a soft spot for 4 strokes.
Pommy bikes have always looked a bit 'homemade' but they do the job.

Offline ksiderek

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 11:05:18 pm »
I love the "home made" comment ;D Bloody right they were, in the coal shed behind my house. I've got a huge pile of cash waiting for this baby. It's a shame US customs wont let it go without a title. I dont think John, the owner will break it down taking the title out of the equasion, so I'm a bit stuffed. I'm guessing the reserve is quite high on this one so your probably going to have to be very keen to win it. There is another one I have my eye on that isn't being advertised at the moment, and it's in the UK. That alone would save at least 25% in taxes and freight on the price. The reason I want one is because I made them. With only 14 left in the world geting hold of one is going to be fun.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2010, 11:19:27 pm »
Derek how many KSI's were made originally?
Wouldn't it be possible to buy it and send to a shipper who specializes in bikes and have them break it down and send to the UK in parts?

Offline ksiderek

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2010, 05:08:34 pm »
We made just 44 in total. Most went to the states and Sweeden. Do you have any details of companies that will strip and send as parts? If they will that could make a deal possible.
I'm always seeing nice bikes for sale in the states and have been warned many times not to even think about it without the right paperwork.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2010, 06:04:34 pm »
I'm always seeing nice bikes for sale in the states and have been warned many times not to even think about it without the right paperwork.

Never heard of a problem shipping an off road bike. Be nice to have the real deal instead of having whip one up from an XL250/ ;D

As for Big K he has an aversion and is in denial that they actually won GPs.

I think it says it all that Bengt Aberg actually found that slipping a TT500 into a Husqvarna frame was a huge improvement.
formerly Marc.com

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2010, 06:35:55 pm »
I love the "home made" comment  ;D
:-[
That will teach me for shooting from the hip.
The #43 pic looks great (back pedal) compared to the one for sale.
Very cool to have a great such as Marty Moates ride and win on one.
We both have made things. You made a cool bike and I made.... a mess in the shed!
Hey Johhny O, time for my next history lesson!
Its times like these I feel it was a bummer being an 80's guy. A lot of cool stuff happened in the 70's.

Offline ksiderek

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2010, 06:44:35 pm »
Bengt Aberg came and sat on the bike in the states after Marty Moates beat him in a national four stroke race. He wanted to ride the bike but Allen Greenwood was a bit concerned about all the contracts involved and said "no". The bikes handled well enough but they wern't cheap. The other problem was always the cost of making an xl350 go fast reliably. Add this together and why spend such a lot of money on a bike when you could spend half as much and get something that was just as fast right off the peg.

Looking  back I know a lot of the big teams around at the time had a real good look at the bike. I think if nothing else it demonstrated that you could make a lightweight modern fourstroke that could keep up with the best two strokes around. With all the emissions issues going on in the states at the time I know at least one of the big four started spending a lot more cash on four stroke development. They might have even given us a bit as well  ;)