Author Topic: Bike hold downs  (Read 641 times)

Offline brent j

• Legend
  • Darwin, NT. Suzuki tragic, RL250M TS90MX PE250B
    • View Profile
Bike hold downs
« on: May 05, 2010, 09:13:23 pm »
I recently replaced my poor old Rodeo of 13 years with a late model Hilux extra cab. Great ute but there are no tie down points on the sides of the tray, just a ring in each corner. Pretty hopeless for tying one bike let alone more.
I wanted something that looked reasonably neat but still gave plenty of tie down points.
I fitted a length of 21x41mm UNISTRUT down each side of the tray where the tray sides "roll over" (it's a factory well side tray) and by using UNISTRUT nuts and some eyebolts I can have as many anchors as I need and take them out when I don't. The nuts are spring loaded adn stay in place with no rattles and they can be positioned any where.
I've lost 40mm off the inside width of the tray and don't see that as a problem. The tray sides on a late Hilux are quite flimsly but the unistrut stiffens them up nicely.
I used a length of 38x75 steel channel across the front of the tray to stop it bending and anchor tie downs to but we are looking at using 40x40 unistrut on the front of the tray on my mates Hilux. The channel on the front also has adjustable wheel chocks to hold 1,2 or 3 bikes.
Another mate who saw my set up is now fitting unstrut tracks to the floor of his van

Just an idea...............
The older I get, the faster I was