Author Topic: What has really frightened the shite out of you??  (Read 8215 times)

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
What has really frightened the shite out of you??
« on: December 13, 2007, 08:19:50 pm »
Hmmm I had more than a few riding ideas as I typed this question, but then it hit me,  Twas lifting a rolled  VMX outfit off one of my sons to find him seemingly not breathing !!! Was just seriously winded........... buutttt !!!!
OK, me , I confess it was on a (horror :-[ .. road racer .. have a blast around Calder Park on a practice GP500cc Suzuki , AWESOME power, and in , up and out of the high banked corners!!!!!!! at 260Ks++++
VMX and Dirttrack? thank you Mr TM400........... Cheers Tim
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 08:22:27 pm by Tim754 »
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Doc

Re: What has really frightened the shite out of you??
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 08:42:35 pm »
I think my biggest heart stopper was at Nudgee flat track where I found myself spearing through the tyre wall at the end of the back straight..I still don't know what the heck happened but I somehow got caught in the graders wheeltracks on the inside line and highsided just as I entered the corner. No injuries apart from a good winding an' a bit of bruising thankfully. The next get off that sticks in my mind is coincidently another highside..this time tapping out the 400 in 4th on a wet sand oval and ka-blamy! I heard lots of snapping noises resulting in a month or so off with torn cruciates and medials..bugger  ::) worst injury on a motorcycle to date is broken clavacle followed torn knee ligaments and some nasty bruising on the odd occassion..I learnt how to tumble without too much bother doing gymnastics when I was a kid and I reckon this has saved me on a few occassions  ;D and no..I never wore any poofy tights!..but if I did they'd have been yellow and black  ;D

oldfart

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 09:33:38 pm »
An enduro event back in 1978. It  was a 4 hour event and I was winning in my class under 200 cc when  I smashed into a tree breaking my left arm and lay unconsious for some time  ::)
Still to this day I can not remember what went wrong , as the tree was way off the race line .
Must have fallen to sleep on the job again  ;D

Offline dodgee

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 09:46:52 pm »
Back in my mini bike days at the old north brisbane track in beams rd i use to race a 100cc short curcit side car , it had been raining and there was large holes of waterall round the track.2nd corner i had huge crashand the side car behind me also fliped and it landed on top of me while i was face first in a large hole of water .that was scarey the thought of drowning in 2ins of water.i couldn't move thank god for flageys.
dodgee

mx250

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 09:49:55 pm »
Ever time I approached 'the wall' at Kembla on the MX, 5 inchs of travel at the front and 4 at the rear - turn, face the drop off and make that instant decision, to jump 'the wall' or ride 'the wall' :o :P.

A love/hate relationship  ;D I know fear.  ;D

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 10:39:19 pm »
So many where bikes are concerned... I dunno, I rode like a real dick sometimes back when I was a kid.

Wheelying along in 3rd in the wet and left hand slips off the bars which makes me fall off the back and yank the throttle on hard...

Holding it on through a 3rd gear sweeper without realising the trail ends on the side of the Bruce Highway in another 20 metres...

Passing a truck on the Gunalda Range (stupid to begin with) and realising my DR500 hasn't got the grunt to do it so spend a few nervous seconds on the wrong side of a big semi at speed on a blind corner on a major highway...

Side by side with a mate in the bush and come round a corner to be face to face with a timber jinker....

Racing some mates at 160 km/hr plus along the coast road up to Noosa and knowing that I can't get the 750 down any further cos the stand's dragging and I'm running out of lane and it's Sunday and there's traffic around...

Trying a double jump for the first time. The second time explains why I still hate jumps today...

Pushing along in the dust on my TT600 at an enduro and figuring I'll be smart and cut the corner across a big field and realising at the last second that the reason no-one else is doing that is because there's a nice 4-strand barbed wire fence there...

Not knowing to tap the rear brake as my IT175 goes past the balance point at around 80 km/hr on the back wheel...

And while it didn't scare me THAT much, I have never forgotten trying to keep up with a chick on a blue CB900F along the highway at Cunningham's Gap in Sunday arvo traffic on the way back from Bathurst in about 1982. I'll never ride that stupidly ever again.

And now I re-read this, I think it should be in a thread called "What's the dumbest thing you've ever done on a bike"

firko

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 11:23:43 pm »
I've related this one before but it still brings me to a cold sweat.
Terrey Hills 1971 . We'd been to this riding area the previous week and adjacent to where we parked our cars there was a huge clay paddock, big enough to tap out in top gear on my dear Lobito. This week, it was the same drill as the previous time. I unloaded my Lobito and Maico and fired up the little Bully (to which I had recently fitted a 250 MK3 Pursang tope end) and proceeded to flat line it accross the clay paddock. All was well until a change in the landscape started to appear in front of me. While flat tap in top gear I rode into a 12' deep 20' wide ditch. WHAP!
I woke up in Mona Vale hospital 8 hours later with a broken collarbone, wrist and ribs. My helmet had saved my life but it was split accross the top from side to side. The bike ended up with a heartshape front wheel, a snapped top triple clamp, bent forks, and a badly tweaked frame and smashed fibreglass . It appears that I didn't notice until too late that the Water Board had started laying sewer pipes for a new housing estate during the week and I was the first stupid prick to discover the ditch. We estimated I hit the bank of that ditch at 60-70 MPH. I was a mess and it was months before I was well or game enough to ride again.

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 04:01:53 am »
yeaup!
about 18mnths ago at black duck valley, followed a mate over a fairly large tabletop jump on a modern bike, he's kicked up some dust just infront and i miss read the upramp, hit a hole within the jump face and proceeded to go over the bars.
funny how time stands still at moments like this. i remember seeing the ground in the most minute of detail, an onlooking riders eyes, the landing area which wasn't to friendly given my situation.
knocked myself out for a few minutes, broken shoulder, ribs, collapsed lung, and very bruised.
"flat bickie"

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2007, 09:54:32 am »
My wife, aaaarrrrghh!

Johns

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2007, 01:06:24 pm »
Hi from Johns:-

Having a cow step out in front of me on a dirt road whilst doing around 120k`s an hour on my trusty Yammy DT360A. End result was me being covered in shit, bike ploughing into side of said cow, as well as me going straight over the bars and landing about thirty feet up the road and landing on the broad of my back.

Injuries to me were a pair of severely bruised ankles, my boots torn off both feet, and the cow with two broken legs and internal injuries - the cow was put down by the owner shortly after and he said he wanted one to eat anyway.

Offline Rosco86

• A-Grade
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2007, 01:36:04 pm »
Had a few that spring to mind. Riding at the old Christmas Hills circuit, to keep the dust down for the punters the Hartwell club would put heaps of saw dust/fine bark chip on the main straight. Finished the race towards the pointy end of the pack and rolled over the main straight jump to hang the u turn to headback to the pits and got t-boned by someone I lapped, who decided he was getting his full race length and wasn't to fussed about the chequered flag.. Went down in the dirt and the old careera goggles let all the saw dust in through the openings under the eyes so when I opened my eyes I was basically blinded. Thankgod for the st johns boys and eye wash.
Second one was my first race at Brooklyn Speedway. Sitting at the fence gate warming the motor when a sidecar doesn't turn in and slams into the wall killing the rider. Wondered if I was really cut out for the sport then.
Again at the Brooklyn speedway, trying to kick the bike away in a fall and trapping the ankle/leg in a rotating rear wheel. Took the ambos about 25minutes to free me and I was glad that old Jack Walker had the sense to retrieve a set of bolt cutters and cut all the spokes so they could retrieve the leg. 3 plates 7 screws, it works fine except for the limp, pain on cold days and the lovely onset of gout/arthritis.But like all of us the fright was never enough to keep us away permanently.

firko

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2007, 01:43:06 pm »
Another one. It was in the early days of vintage, probably 1990 or so at Nepean. I was on my trusty 350 Maico racing around in mid pack when while (once again) tapped in top gear on the long Nepean straight I could hear an engine gaining on me. I quickly looked over my shoulder to see where he was. The next thing I remember is the slow motion thing everyone experiences where I was flying through the air in a perfect body flip and landing flat on my back. The next thing I saw was a flash of orange and my Maico bouncing directly on my to chest and further on in a series of rolls. The adjacent flaggie who just happened to be future superbike champion Shawn Giles was first to the scene and he still relates how it was the most horrible crash he'd sever seen.........
 What had happened was that the race leader John Hofstenge had siezed his TM400 solid half way down the straight and was himself in a tank slapper trying to regain control right at the very same moment I was having my little look over the shoulder. I hit John and his TM at full noise without a hint of braking.
I was knocked unconcious but later after a few post race brews it turned out I had nothing but a few bruised ribs, a headache and some oozy gravel rash. John was OK too but his TM suffered badly with an egg shaped back wheel twisted swingarm snapped shock and a bunch more stuff, not to mention the trashed engine that had started the whole scenario. A few years later however John had to retire from racing because of a tweaked back that he reckons had originated in our accident. My Maico only suffered a flat tyre, bent bars and a broken lever. It's funny but months later I started having nightly nightmares about that crash in which I actually died. Creepy.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 02:14:25 pm by firko »

husky61

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2007, 02:53:29 pm »
The other nite i was out having a few fine Xmas ales with a number of gentlemen and Maggoo turned up.

Now that was frightening

Offline fatboycrash

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2007, 02:58:36 pm »
I'm with bigk. My missus without a word of exaggeration scares the shite out of me every day. Totally illogical and unpredictable, ya never know where you stand!! :-[ :-[ Honestly, if you owned a bike like that you'd sell it or burn it as fast as you could. She's 5 foot nuthin of dynamite with a short fuse..........

For a less serious more in the tune of this thread brown pants experience, hang gliding competition about 5 years ago. Just launched and some F%^&CKhead euro tourist paraglider decides to drop into the thermal we are all in and proceed to turn the other way to everyone else. Misses me by centimeters. millimeters. I have never yelled F$%K off with so much conviction ever and doubt that I will again.

The funny thing is, I've just spent 10 minutes trying to think of a Motorcycle brown pants experience and came up with nuthin!!! Lots of times I know I should've been scared but was too stupid to be so.... Guess they don't call me FatBoyCrash for no reason??
FBC
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 03:02:46 pm by fatboycrash »

firko

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2007, 03:59:59 pm »
I too was enjoying a Christmas drink the other evening with Husky 61 and some other gentlemen when Magoo showed up. It was indeed a very frightening experience.