Author Topic: Seamail from UK  (Read 3503 times)

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
Seamail from UK
« on: April 26, 2010, 07:07:20 pm »
Does anyone know how long it takes for seamail to come from UK? I had some stuff posted on Jan 11th but it still hasnt got here. The worst part is that it was ment to be sent by air and my friend ask for air and was told he was paying for air but then after it hadnt arrived after a couple weeks he checked and then the post office said that it was sent by seamail instead >:(. We have no tracking number, only a delivery confirmation number. I guess theres nothing that can be done, but its annoying because its some valuable non replaceable stuff i wont be able to get again.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Seamail from UK
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 07:11:52 pm »
hello Leith, I have had two experiences, with UK seamail. Both took just over three and a half months.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 02:49:06 pm by MICK-DE »
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 07:15:21 pm »
Dito, and theres stuff all diference in price.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline DR500

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 07:16:23 pm »
Being and ex pom, it will be 3 to 4 months by sea mail.They hold the mail until they have enough to fill the container on the boat.

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 07:27:33 pm »
Ok well its only just been 3 months. i guess i just got to keep waiting :-\ My friend who posted the stuff is inquiring at the PO today to try and see if he can find out what ship its on or anything like that. I just hate it when you have unknowns like this.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline Canam370

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 08:50:48 pm »
Its not just the UK. Items out of Canada take 9-12 weeks to get to me. I admit that the delays tend to make me reluctant to buy from Canadian sellers unless I've dealt with them before. The Canadian sellers are aware of the situation and can't explain the delays either but I've found the sellers I've dealt with to be reputable and honest.Unfortunately you wouldn't know if you've been stiffed for ages and the delay puts you outside the protection umbrella of Ebay and Paypal. Crazy when items from the US arrive in 7-10 days or quicker.
WANTED. Canams;all models,complete or parts.SWM stuff too!

I'm THE Thread Killer - when I post a thread dies!

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 08:57:58 pm »
Ditto. I scored some gearbox parts off ebay for my roadracer from Canada for an absolute bargain price, but the postage for surface mail was an horrific $91 ! Then the wait began....just over four months! During that time, I made a couple of polite enquiries with the vendor, and he was extremely apologetic, but pointed out that the Canadian mail system actually promotes itself as frustrating, slow and laborious, and that things had always been so, to be patient, and not to worry. So I didn't... ;)
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 09:12:37 pm »
Recently got a 30kg parcel sent from the UK via UPS was 50GBP and here inside 2 weeks, another parcel sent with UPS from the UK was send thursday before good friday and here the following wednesday.For anything bigger the what Parcelforce will take UPS is the go.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 09:23:52 pm »
Yeah well my stuff was ment to come airmail. No way i would have chosen seamail.

It usually costs about 70-80 pounds for a set of shocks sometimes with no oil or springs from UK via parcel force packed as small as possible. Parcel Force seems really expensive. The 30 Kgs for 50 pounds via UPS sounds good but with UPS dont you get all that customs BS and hassles when it gets here and they slug you for duty etc etc and what initally seemed like a good deal quickly blows out because of etc fees etc? Or is that only the case with UPS from USA? Ive been stung by UPS/Fed X before and listening to what others have said the recommendation was to avoid UPS at all costs.

Heard back from my friend and he went to the PO in UK. They gave him an info book, a claim sheet and a hot line phone number where he couldnt get any 'real person' to speak to and it was costing 5 pounds per min so he hung up. He was also told 42-60 days for seamail.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 09:35:42 pm by LWC82PE »

firko

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 09:49:04 pm »
My Metisse bodywork and tank in a box the size of a 50l plastic bin came via Royal Mail and took a bit over a week which blew me away. The only downside was that it cost 120pounds to send. I try to avoid  dealing with Canada and the UK unless I absolutely have to.

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2010, 05:35:32 am »
Its not just the UK. Items out of Canada take 9-12 weeks to get to me. I admit that the delays tend to make me reluctant to buy from Canadian sellers unless I've dealt with them before. The Canadian sellers are aware of the situation and can't explain the delays either but I've found the sellers I've dealt with to be reputable and honest.Unfortunately you wouldn't know if you've been stiffed for ages and the delay puts you outside the protection umbrella of Ebay and Paypal. Crazy when items from the US arrive in 7-10 days or quicker.
I've been waiting almost a month so far for a set of brake shoes from the states that were posted next day, lucky they only cost 99c so I'm not that worried

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2010, 07:12:38 am »
has the boat  got a engine or oars ;D

Offline AdamN

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2010, 07:40:03 am »
I recently had some IT465 parts sent from Edinbourgh in the UK. A rear guard, both side panels, expansion chamber, both footpegs and some miscellaneous bits. Came by DHL through Trans Global Express, cost 58GBP. Was dropped at the DHL place on the Wednesday their time, and dropped off here in Sydney on the following Tuesday. Had a waybill # and was trackable right to my signature time. I'd recommend them for sure.

Cheers
Adam
'82 PE175Z, '92 YZ125D1, '93 WR500ZE, '13 KTM350EXC-F, '16 Husky TE300

SAABCOMBI

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2010, 08:06:40 am »
my dot tank was sent on a monday got on a friday in the same week from UK.

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2010, 11:25:16 am »
you guys have no idea about the time it takes to sea ship things.uk is further away from australia than l.a. usa
it takes steaming time 6 weeks to get from long beach usa to sydney.
once the container is packed buy the shipper it goes to customs in long beach for spraying (killing bugs) then down to docks for loading.this is a min of 1 week if busy 2(as it is now due to dollar to us dollar)
so now we are up to 8 weeks
the container gets to sydney and is unloaded and sent to customs for inspection.if all ok sent to shipping agent in sydney.then to a unpacking store about 2 weeks
so now 10weeks have go past since you parcel was placed in the container in long beach usa.
my importer then picks up all the boxes and takes them to his factory then rings you and lets you know your stuff is ready to pick up 1 more week till pick up
so 11 weeks have passed.now if your stuff arrived after the container is closed you have to wait for the next container to be packed.
3-4 months is the average time it takes to get stuff from usa to australia.
cheers
jim