Author Topic: paint strip engine  (Read 1946 times)

Offline piney

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
paint strip engine
« on: April 25, 2010, 11:49:44 am »
hi any body got any ideas on paint stripping old flaking and spray can touch up paint as don't/need to pull engine down

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: paint strip engine
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 02:15:05 pm »
if you don't want to pull it out and blast it have you tried a high pressure cleaner.  At the least get the old flaking material off.

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

oldfart

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 05:23:05 pm »
K & H    have a product called  "  RAPID "   paint stripped for automotive and Industrial use.    Be warned this stuff requires gloves and suiting up, if you get it on your skin it burns like hell.

Offline piney

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 10:37:39 am »
Thanx Guys , my cocern with using indusrial paint stripper was the potential for the paint stripper damageing gaskets,
ps getting frame (kx 500 )back today so getting excited about project
cheers Piney

Curly3

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 02:56:31 pm »
Mr pine, you can make blanking plates for the Inlet & Exhaust ports, put an old plug in it and put it in a small blasting booth. I'm planning to do the same thing to an engine I've got at a mates factory around the corner. Let me know if your interested?

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 05:18:44 pm »
Blasting is the way to go, DRAIN THE OIL AND FLUIDS, flip it upside down and let it stand for the day,  use plugs and duct tape to mask her up, take some time, get someone reliable to blast the motor.

Doesn't have to be flash media finish if you are painting it, fine garnet with nozzle not too close, rougher finish helps paint to stick.

Next grab your favourite engine paint, spray the lot, then finally to finish the project replace all the casing screws, head nuts etc with new ones from the shop. I buy those bolt kits and just replace one bolt at a time so not to disturb the gaskets. My MX250 was done that way.

http://ozvmx.com/community/index.php?topic=6756.0
formerly Marc.com