Author Topic: YZ360B  (Read 17703 times)

firko

Re: YZ360B
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2010, 03:57:15 pm »
I'm using DT250/360MX 'no name'* outer cases including the clutch activator/chain cover on the RT1 engine in the Cheney project. They're slightly easier to find and bucketloads cheaper than YZA/Bs pissy little cover plus you don't need to make up a bodgy looking sprocket cover.
*Socalled because they're plain with no Yamaha branding anywhere.

Offline Husk72

• B-Grade
  • Attitude? What effing attitude?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2010, 04:53:28 pm »
Hey Mark,any chance you could put up a pic of the air box that appears in your post?
Like to get some ideas for an air box I need to build.

Cheers,Mark.
I used to drink a lot.
I still do,but I used to,too.

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2010, 06:27:56 pm »
I'm using DT250/360MX 'no name'* outer cases including the clutch activator/chain cover on the RT1 engine in the Cheney project. They're slightly easier to find and bucketloads cheaper than YZA/Bs pissy little cover plus you don't need to make up a bodgy looking sprocket cover.
*Socalled because they're plain with no Yamaha branding anywhere.

Firko, I'm sorry to say that any self respecting yamaha YZ-A or B owner would rather have their 'pissy' little genuine clutch activator cover than a cheap run of the mill DT cover even if its got a spocket cover built in.  ;)
If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2010, 08:13:19 pm »
Talking about dodgy, what sort of head is on that Mark?
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2010, 09:31:28 pm »
DT-MX bits are pretty cool in their own right.
DT1 parts for the (price) win.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

firko

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2010, 10:24:35 pm »
Talking about dodgy, what sort of head is on that Mark?
Thats an ACK head John...The fugly thing was a good idea at the time but I now hate it. It's to be repaced with an RT2MX head as soon as I can find one. Because I'm running a modified YZ360A Pro-Form pipe the ACK is the only thing that works in with the pipe so far.
Firko, I'm sorry to say that any self respecting yamaha YZ-A or B owner would rather have their 'pissy' little genuine clutch activator cover than a cheap run of the mill DT cover
I fully agree DJ..The "pissy" is in reference to its size, nothing more. Have another look at the covers and what I wrote, they're definitely not cheap run of the mill DT covers, they're from a DT2MX, a bike rarer, dare I say it, than a YZA and featuring covers that appeared for only one model year. That's why I'm using them,to be a bit different from the run of the mill DT1 stuff.

Hey Mark,any chance you could put up a pic of the air box that appears in your post?
Like to get some ideas for an air box I need to build.
The airbox is away at the polishers right now but I'll take a shot of it when I get it back. In the meantime, here's a shot of the forums Dave Macs Cheney Ducati showing it's airbox sitting next to it. It's essentially the same as mine, the pipe routing through the middle of the box, exiting directly under the rear guard, above the tyre. Weird I know. The Poms were good at making a simple process difficult.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 10:58:18 pm by firko »

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2010, 08:01:51 am »
Is their any parts or bikes you own Firko that are "normal, standard or just plain original"?..... fug me.... you have all this "shit" ;D that I've never heard of the manufacturer before......I must have been living under a mushroom the last 51 years...... or am I too young?...I mean I do admire you having a Ducati Cheney Yamaha Hindle Rickman Suzuki CZ frame with a Yosimura Mugen CCM Lito Monark Montessa BSA powered engine running on hot air, with Betor, Marrozzocci, KYB, Koni, Works, Ohlin's, WP, Fox suspension with a set of chrome steel handlebars.....I mean, what gives?......You still havent found a Kelvin Franks bike or frame yet...your slipping Mark!! ;D

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2010, 08:11:42 am »
I like the head, and would leave it there.
Cheers,
K

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2010, 08:19:44 am »
Have another look at the covers and what I wrote, they're definitely not cheap run of the mill DT covers, they're from a DT2MX, a bike rarer, dare I say it, than a YZA and featuring covers that appeared for only one model year

Exactly what I was going to point out. Love those DT2M s'covers.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2010, 09:02:11 am »

Thats an ACK head John...The fugly thing was a good idea at the time but I now hate it. It's to be repaced with an RT2MX head as soon as I can find one. Because I'm running a modified YZ360A Pro-Form pipe the ACK is the only thing that works in with the pipe so far.

If the ACK head is designed for a piston-port RT1 motor, then please think of me when you remove it from your motor!
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2010, 09:21:44 am »
I like the head, and would leave it there.
Cheers,
K
Me too.
Anything aftermarket is cool to me, be it ugly or not. I don't think it's ugly either. Never heard of it either. The beauty of the old days, heaps of trick parts. Aftermarket parts these days consist of anodised parts...woopie!

firko

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2010, 10:20:54 am »
Is their any parts or bikes you own Firko that are "normal, standard or just plain original"?.
John, I've been involved with vintage motocross in one way or the other since 1986 and in that time I've restored a heap of "normal, standard or just plain original" bikes, many of which are still out there racing today. After I cried blood to get my DT1 resto "absolutely perfect" I vowed I'd never put myself through that again. As much as I'm reasonably happy with the final result, I hated nearly every minute of the build and in the end it's just another shiny DT1.

I have a background in drag racing and modified cars so it's only natural that my interests swayed towards modifying my bikes. It started innocently by modifying my 350 Maico, making alloy airbox, fitting Wheelsmith goodies and tailoring the bike to look different to all of the other Maicos out there. Then I built the now legendary "DT1 from Hell" and I realised what fun it is to build 'hot rod' vintage racers. Today, I love building bikes that are different to the norm that are quirky and allow me to throw a bit of "artistic" flair at the bike while keeping it within a particular class legality. I like being able to build a bike using the best parts from a particular era rather than being tied to what a particular manufacturer wanted. The Cheney for instance is to be a serious pre '70 racer using the best pre '70 major components I can find.
My mate Alan Jones shares my weird fetish with hot rod bikes and we inspire each other with each new project. While I became bored with building bikes "right" I admire you guys who strive for factory perfection. Preserving bikes in their original form is essential to the future of our sport. What I'm doing is a bit of fun, showing what 'could' have been built if we'd had the money back then.
If the ACK head is designed for a piston-port RT1 motor, then please think of me when you remove it from your motor
Nathan, the head's designed for an RT1, whether it was available for the black tanker is going to take some research. I bought it from the guy who used to collect YZs (Attard??) but sold up in a huff, now collects skateboards. I paid stupid money for it (I think $300) because I'd never heard of one before. Since then I've bought one for a DT1 on eBay but haven't seen too many more. I found one ad for one in a 1971 Popular Cycle and that's it. If you want to pay me what it owes me, it's yours. Or..find me a RT2MX head and $200 and it's yours. I don't like it because I don't think it fits the pre '70 'look'. A Webco fits the look but I can't fit an up pipe on this bike with its unique pipe routing problem.
The beauty of the old days, heaps of trick parts. Aftermarket parts these days consist of anodised parts...woopie!]
That's right Brad. Back in the pre '75 era the manufacturers were still experimenting on the 'hot setup' and many, many aftermarket manufacturers came onto the scene with their product that was going to improve on the bikes performance. That most of them were crap doesn't detract from their place in history. Just wait until you see some of the cools shit on this bike at CD7. Even the barrels special, and nobodys mentioned the inlet manifold yet. ;D
sorry 'bout the thread hijack DJ...funny how these things evolve eh? :)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 10:22:54 am by firko »

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2010, 10:28:14 am »
I hope you have got a sore finger now!!.....now hop it out into the shed and finish some of those bikes....CD7 is not very far away...NO excuses!!

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2010, 07:06:13 pm »
No problem Mark, thats what this is all about, showing the parts off, new and old. Hopefully it helps poeple and shows what can be done when people with great skills(not me) and knowledge(once again, not me) of this sport share what they have.
If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2010, 12:31:19 am »
Last i heard the YZa could run the sprocket cover as original equipment, its not really a safetly issue as it does cover enough IIRC.

Firko DONT take this the wrong way, and Without putting the cart before the horse you keep mentioning POST 71 parts on a pre 70 racers, am i missing somthing here or .......

arenth they suppost to be pre 70, and look like the model they are representing from the outside.....

The Cheney for instance is to be a serious pre '70 racer using the best pre '70 major components

ACK head found in a 1971 Popular Cycle and that's it.
find me a RT2MX head (72)
DT2mx Clutch cover unit (72)
Inlet manifold/reed.

And heres me worring about  square swing arms.

Getting back to the thread DJ,
 be interested in cost, very good set up, be interested in what button mech he is using in there also ...
 get him to get a price for 10, i think you'd sell that on here alone.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 12:38:42 am by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff