Author Topic: RM Expert Knowledge Wanted  (Read 3717 times)

Offline AdamN

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
RM Expert Knowledge Wanted
« on: April 22, 2010, 06:43:35 pm »
Gday,
I have just aquired an "81 RM465X. Now i'm no Suzuki expert, i've just done a near nut and bolt resto on an IT465, so i've got blue blood :D.
Can you Suzuki guru's give me the run down on all things RM, what parts interchange with the 465 (other RM models), where to go looking for parts, what to look for, the good the bad, the whole lot. I'm not planning a full NOS resto, but as close as financially possible is the plan.
It is missing the stator, kickstart lever, gearlever, reed block and rubber manifold, carby, muffler and nuts and bolts that I can see. Planning on splitting the cases and checking out the internals, new bearings and seals etc.
Hit me with it, the more the better, names, numbers, links and anything else you think I should know.

Looking forward to learning ;D
Adam
'82 PE175Z, '92 YZ125D1, '93 WR500ZE, '13 KTM350EXC-F, '16 Husky TE300

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
Re: RM Expert Knowledge Wanted
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 06:51:59 pm »
A) visit www.alpha-sports.com which is very useful for seeing whats available, whats superceded and what is common to other models
B) get one of these http://zedder.com/msg13.htm

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Suzuki-TC90-TC100-Blazer-Parts-Cross-Reference-Manual-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem45e0af9080QQitemZ300122345600QQptZMotorsQ5fManualsQ5fLiterature

suzuki cross reference programe. Again, very handy to have.

Also ebay is very good for suzuki parts as well as your local dealer if they are good with older bikes.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 06:53:56 pm by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 08:00:17 pm »
all the parts you are chasing interchange up to 1985
rm465 x z  rm500d e f
main difference with the 81 is the 5 speed box
follow me to first turn

Offline zorroz

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 05:10:19 pm »
rm465 x z  rm500d e f

I thought the same when I was building my 500E. I picked up a 465 5 speed motor thinking I could use parts but found out the cases are different internally, the crankshaft, cylinder and head, gearbox are different. The flywheel/magneto are same.  Exhaust chamber is the same, seat/tank but suspension is all different.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 06:47:59 pm »
rm465 x z  rm500d e f

I thought the same when I was building my 500E. I picked up a 465 5 speed motor thinking I could use parts but found out the cases are different internally, the crankshaft, cylinder and head, gearbox are different. The flywheel/magneto are same.  Exhaust chamber is the same, seat/tank but suspension is all different.
I went through the same problem when rebuilding the gearbox and crank on my '82 rm465.
I bought '83 500 gears and selecters and nothing fitted without machining cases and other mods.
The crank and primary drive gears were also different, it was a headache.

Offline AdamN

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 07:35:03 pm »
So what do you do for a piston for these things?? I had plans of just putting a Wiseco piston in it, but as i've found out, they don't do one anymore, no-one does ???
Also, the gear selector shaft is broken at the splines for the gear lever. looks like it's an orphan, nothing appears to interchange.
It needs a top end, stator and selector shaft to be basically complete. That damn exhaust flange the bolts to the cylinder is gone too, where do I get one of them?? It has an airbox, but has a couple of broken mounting tabs, so wouldn't mind trying to find a better one.
If anyone has any bits surplus, i'm listening ;).

Cheers
Adam
'82 PE175Z, '92 YZ125D1, '93 WR500ZE, '13 KTM350EXC-F, '16 Husky TE300

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 07:44:13 pm »
Pistons come up on ebay US, keep looking til you find the oversize you want.

Offline Scunge

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 08:28:21 pm »
I did a resto on an 1982 RM465 (Z) about 3-4 years back.

2nd gears (drive and driven) were toast in the four speed box.
Heaps of pistons come up on ebay and the odd gear.
It had a RM125 rear wheel on it so I got a NOS 500D hub off ebay and got it laced into a rim by the wheel man in Box Hill (lightfoot), Melbourne.
The rear brake pedal would be one of the harder things to source, so hopefully you have a good one.
Mario at Topline restored my seat base/foam/ and did a gripper cover for me.
Powder coated it black.
Got a single sided airbox from my bro for it (twin-air)
Jetting is still not sorted, need to go down across the board and in particular to an R2 needle.
Run the stock silencer, if at all possible. Mine has a DG and they just don't run the same.

I have got a quite a few nos parts (pistons a plenty) hanging around so PM me what you after and I might be-able to help!

Welcome to the big bore club!