Author Topic: Why Modern Four Strokes Suck; By Super Hunky  (Read 11497 times)

suzuki43

Offline huskibul

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Why Modern Four Strokes Suck; By Super Hunky
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 04:42:08 pm »
    Hear Hear  ::)

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 04:57:01 pm »
Say no to big red & their blue conspirators/lackeys  ;)

suzuki43

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 05:12:08 pm »
Yes indeed Tony,this is another reason to boycott those dirty stinking Red lemons!!
Say no to progress and buy a VMX bike (two stroke of course).

PS Just caught up with MarcFX this afternoon,last seen fettling his Rickman Metisse beast with a hammer and grinder...

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 06:11:01 pm »
Most of that was directly lifted from Guy Procter's MCN article "Two Strokes Strike Back". Best is to actualy buy  new 2T bikes that's what they listen to.
Jesus only loves two strokes

mx250

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 06:14:59 pm »

".......everything you know about two-strokes is wrong, and their revenge against the four-stroke is imminent."

" “We cannot see an end to two-stroke developments, and we intend to develop the 2-stroke advantages further. "
And there was me lining up to by electric ::).

"What can we do about it? Not a whole hell of a lot, except to get into vintage racing."Maybe there's an opening there for VMX to exploit. I think it is in all our interest to have a wide base of support including younger riders.

(I think the article was ghost written by Lozza ;) ;D)

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 06:38:36 pm »
There's no doubt that the new range of four-strokes works pretty well (woeful longevity record aside !) but they sound (not my words) like a postie bike with a blown head gasket. Not good !  ::)
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Offline ba-02-xr

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2010, 11:38:18 am »
Last year I raced a CRF 250. This year I am on a KTM 150. My lap times have dropped & I am keeping with guys that last year beat me (hope they dont find out about 2/s ;D). I have seen this happen with a few outher people as well. We have a young guy up here racing a YZ 250 in the U19s nationals this year. He is saying there are only a few guys on 2/s. I think this is mainly due to the fact that none of them have learnt how to ride a 2/ corectly. 4/ are easier to ride but I feel the 2/ when ridden corectly can be as quick on a track if not quicker.

mx250

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2010, 12:23:04 pm »
I think this is mainly due to the fact that none of them have learnt how to ride a 2/ corectly. 4/ are easier to ride but I feel the 2/ when ridden corectly can be as quick on a track if not quicker.
The most modern 2t I've ridden is a 2000 YZ250. It was scary fast and scary violent in its delivery (comparatively) - it really grabbed your attention and demanded your concentration. Come to terms with it and it is faster than a 4t.

I think if the same technology that has been applied to 4t such as Position Sensored Throttle, EFI, programmable Ign and Electronic Engine management than they manageability would parallel the modern 4t experience.

monaro308

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2010, 12:49:05 pm »
I was just browsing through a latest mag 450 shootout with a husa,ktm,yam,suz,kaw,hon.
Everyone was expecting the new YZ450F to be the clear winner with all the latest technology.
The riders commented about it having a great handling chassis (feeling like a 250)and linear bottom,mid and topend with instant throttle response and great traction....all great in the first morning session as the track was smooth and unrutted etc.
Towards the end of the day,most of the riders struggled with the same delivery output that would continously spin up the back wheel in the slippery loose surface and became tiring to ride.....they almost compared it to riding a 2 stroke.

Every rider chose a different favourite with the KTM450 edging for the best.
The yam lost on price.
The Suzuki did everything well and was given high praise because it was the least tiring to ride at the end of a hard day.
Kaw,honda and the berg were all nudging for top honours. ALL GOOD BIKES...but like a few have been saying here,these 4 strokes are slowly searching for more and more of an edge in power and suddenly are becoming the 2 strokes that was evil.

What goes around.........comes around ;D

All Things 414

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2010, 01:29:23 pm »
Why isn't someone building a fuel injected 400cc two stroke? I would have thought with programable fuel injection and ignitions they'd be able to build a 2T bike with similar power characteristics as the modern 4's. (They'd sell a squillion! ;))

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2010, 01:36:35 pm »
There is no real need for EFI on a 2T engine, anyone can replace the carb with a TB and program away but with lots of time and $ you might be marginal ahead of where you would have been with a carb.
Carbs with TPS on them date back to mid 90's, the trick is to interpolate them together with advance/rpm/power valve, which modern ignitions let you do.
Jesus only loves two strokes

firko

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2010, 01:50:51 pm »
interpolate.....good word Lozza. ;) I had to hit it with the Google dictionary to see what it means :-[.

All Things 414

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2010, 01:56:33 pm »
There is no real need for EFI on a 2T engine, anyone can replace the carb with a TB and program away but with lots of time and $ you might be marginal ahead of where you would have been with a carb.
Carbs with TPS on them date back to mid 90's, the trick is to interpolate them together with advance/rpm/power valve, which modern ignitions let you do.

???

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2010, 02:08:07 pm »
Why isn't someone building a fuel injected 400cc two stroke? I would have thought with programable fuel injection and ignitions they'd be able to build a 2T bike with similar power characteristics as the modern 4's. (They'd sell a squillion! ;))
I agree.
Fuel injection would be necessary to sell to buyers looking for the latest and greatest as you do when buying new.Better or not would be irrelevant to a majority. Shit, they swallowed the 4 stroke is better pill.
Interpolate? Is that like a transmognifier or splitetering valve???  :D