Poll

What Nationals would you ride if they were split?

Pre 78 and earlier only.
48 (48.5%)
Evo and later only.
23 (23.2%)
Probably only the closest event that year
5 (5.1%)
Both. I just can't get enough.
16 (16.2%)
Neither. It's just too damn dangerous....
7 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Author Topic: What Nationals would you ride if they were split?  (Read 40492 times)

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: What Nationals would you ride if they were split?
« Reply #90 on: May 10, 2010, 10:59:19 pm »
we ride VMX for the fun, that's what 99% do.  Because you never have to up date your bike and you never have to stay young to enjoy yourself.

The VMXWA club had 17 over 55's on the grid out of a day that had 68 riders all up.  We got told off for banging too many bars.  We laughed all the way home, thanks VMX for letting us stay young and Bill Watson still has the ability to put anyone on their back in the mud (I know) and it's great to see him do it.  The Sprite/Alron/Eagle (British) thread showed a 77yr old man (my dad) reunited with his original Alron and all he wanted to do was grab some gear and have a go, look at the photo's, a very happy man.

You get rid of age groups, you'll lose a lot of riders
1973 Rickman Zundapp Metisse, to rebuild
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 11, 2010, 11:01:21 am »
Long live VMX Tossa

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 11, 2010, 06:29:40 pm »
I think that if you did a straw poll amongst the older members of our sport you'd find that they'd prefer to race with their age peers.

Absolutely. I'm trying to find out whether the perception is based on anything concrete, or its just a 'it used to work, but we haven't stopped and thought about it in the last fifteen years' thing...

I obviously don't know what it feels like to be 44, 54 or 64. But I do know how my attitudes have changed from 14 to 24 to 34, and I can extrapolate. You won't find me showing any enthusiasm for racing modern MX nowdays, for example... Even when I'm eligible for over 35s, it holds minimal appeal.

I guess that's the point: Present day VMX is an entirely different sport to modern MX. Nowdays its not cheaper or easier than modern MX if you want to do well, so the guys who were attracted to the low cost of VMX in the early days are gone.
And so have the crazies.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

mainline

« Reply #93 on: May 11, 2010, 06:36:08 pm »
I think that if you did a straw poll amongst the older members of our sport you'd find that they'd prefer to race with their age peers.

Absolutely. I'm trying to find out whether the perception is based on anything concrete, or its just a 'it used to work, but we haven't stopped and thought about it in the last fifteen years' thing...

I obviously don't know what it feels like to be 44, 54 or 64. But I do know how my attitudes have changed from 14 to 24 to 34, and I can extrapolate. You won't find me showing any enthusiasm for racing modern MX nowdays, for example... Even when I'm eligible for over 35s, it holds minimal appeal.

I guess that's the point: Present day VMX is an entirely different sport to modern MX. Nowdays its not cheaper or easier than modern MX if you want to do well, so the guys who were attracted to the low cost of VMX in the early days are gone.

And so have the crazies.

Not so sure about that last bit.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 11, 2010, 06:41:59 pm »
OK... how about "So have the crazies that you can avoid by riding in age races"?

Or if you're being really pedantic: "So have the crazy riders that you can avoid by riding in age races"...
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

mainline

« Reply #95 on: May 11, 2010, 07:33:26 pm »
?

Offline worms

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 11, 2010, 07:34:39 pm »
how much concrete would you like Nathan?

we have had numerous riders, national champions, x a graders, mid pack , and enthusists all say age groups for all classes, how much concrete do you need, is this one of those glass 1/2 full 1/2 empty things, I dont think you have any idea of how the majority feels, cant you just accecpt that maybe you dont have a grasp on the issue, no offence and you are entitled to an opinion, but you still have baby powder on ya butt, 34, give me a brake, age groups will benifit you when i'm pushing up daisies ;D.

cheers trev

SAABCOMBI

« Reply #97 on: May 11, 2010, 09:24:07 pm »
turn the throttle wide open nathan, and use us oldies for traction, and you will only do that for one lap my friend, us oldies have gusto.

Note: read the fine print, ( am l talking through my arse, your did l just get excited for a second,)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 09:26:01 pm by DAVID#46 »

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 12, 2010, 02:17:05 am »
Worms, I'm trying to find out WHY people are so keen on age racing.
 I remain completely unconvinced by the assertion that any VMX racer who's younger than [you] is some sort of lunatic who will take you out at the first possible opportunity.

So what is it? Why is age racing considered to be so crucial, when simple age specific scoring of an all-in race would reward the fast guys of any particular age group?

firko

« Reply #99 on: May 12, 2010, 06:52:15 am »
Nathan, Is it age groups that bother you or is it the assertion that young riders were 'crazy'? I really don't understand why you're stuck on this. I think the 'why' part of your question's been well covered.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 12, 2010, 07:29:48 am »
How has it been covered?
If its "young riders are lunatics" then its not been covered at all. A few blokes have made that assertion without any sort of evidence. I've pushed for details and now we're into the "you just don't understand" excuses...

I'm pushing it for two reasons:
1. Because age group racing has become the flavour of the month, and it basically being touted as the sport's saviour.
I reckon that it will make SFA difference, and we shouldn't get too excited about it. Not to say that it is a bad thing, but let's keep it in perspective.
There are many other things that we could put our time and effort into for more tangible gain, IMHO.

2. I am over the 'young riders are lunatics' nonsense. If it was just about making excuses for not being right at the pointy end, it would be fine - but when it is divisive and elistist, then I'm going to call shenanigans.

All Things 414

« Reply #101 on: May 12, 2010, 07:34:58 am »
It's one of those "vibe" things Nathan. Not everything can be measured, photographed and sent away for analysis (like some other "riverting" topics). As I stated earlier, until I really thought about, racing against my peers is more inviting. Nothing to do with 'disliking' racing against the younger generations....... 8)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 07:37:00 am by All Things 414 »

« Reply #102 on: May 12, 2010, 07:40:22 am »
I think also that EVERYBODY wants to place or win at some stage. More of a chance in age group racing, especially if you are an old boy. We all get chuffed if we do well at any level of racing.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 12, 2010, 07:46:25 am »
Right...so we actually want to race against our peers, and the age thing is just a rough way to group ourselves with peers?

Is it effective enough to be worth the effort/hype?

All Things 414

« Reply #104 on: May 12, 2010, 07:47:17 am »
Yep. Works well in Viper..... ;)
And of course if The Nats are split (as per the topic) It'll make it easier to run age group races wont it? End of story. Now I'm gunna do a Ji and lock it down.... :D
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 08:27:17 am by All Things 414 »