Author Topic: MX1/2 GP for oz 2011??  (Read 4261 times)

Offline dave king

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
MX1/2 GP for oz 2011??
« on: April 13, 2010, 08:10:13 pm »
went to the italian GP this last weekend and the chatter there is a possible return of a MXGP to australia in 2011,  no venue mentioned.

Offline Hakans beer stop

• Novice
    • View Profile
Re: MX1/2 GP for oz 2011??
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 02:04:14 pm »

That's interesting. Hope the powers that be can make it happen. I'd look forward to that! (especially if the venue was in Tassie!) ;)

Nathan (HBS).

mx250

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 02:22:00 pm »
My money would be on Broadford.

Not because it's a great track but because the Vic Govt will subsidize it seen/sold as a economic stimulus and they'll do that if it can pull tourist to Vic and Melb.

And MA owns Broadford and they have the muscle and the time to secure the subsidy - and they get the double benefit for their effort.

Bring it on 8) ;D

Allbrit

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 02:30:59 pm »
MA does not own Broadford.

Broadford is fully owned by Motorcycling Victoria, and it has been paid for by the past and present motorcycle competitors in Victoria.

MA does own Barrabool.

All Things 414

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 02:33:34 pm »
I reckon' the Parwan Motocross Training Facility would have to be in with a chance..... :D

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 03:11:32 pm »
I reckon' the Parwan Motocross Training Facility would have to be in with a chance..... :D

Beyond Thunderdome, Nice one  :D
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

TM BILL

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 03:14:24 pm »
Unfortunatley i think both Broadford and Barraboul are to much like real MX tracks to run a GP on these days.
The little fat Wog who runs the show these days seems to prfer to run the GPs in Motor racing circuit infields. I believe this is so he can access all areas in his golf cart,god forbid he would have to get out of the thing and get his hand made mole skin slippers dusty  ::)

I really hope Australia does get a GP again but sadly it will probably have to be run in the carpark at your local Coles  ;)

mx250

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 03:19:05 pm »
MA does not own Broadford.

Broadford is fully owned by Motorcycling Victoria, and it has been paid for by the past and present motorcycle competitors in Victoria.

MA does own Barrabool.
Ahhhh. The plot thickens ;D. Both would be contenders then although I would still put my money on Broadford because of its closeness to Melb. (and the tourist hotspots - easier for the Vic govt to justify etc etc).

I don't give a rat's about the politics (much ::)), just bring it on, make it happen 8).

Offline Hakans beer stop

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 03:22:13 pm »
Unfortunatley i think both Broadford and Barraboul are to much like real MX tracks to run a GP on these days.
The little fat Wog who runs the show these days seems to prfer to run the GPs in Motor racing circuit infields. I believe this is so he can access all areas in his golf cart,god forbid he would have to get out of the thing and get his hand made mole skin slippers dusty  ::)

I really hope Australia does get a GP again but sadly it will probably have to be run in the carpark at your local Coles  ;)

Hmmm, good point Bill. I'd forgotten about the GP's recently being held at venues like Mallory Park UK, which is fundamentally a road race/car circuit.  :(

But I still hope it could make it to Aus.

albrid-3

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2010, 03:32:21 pm »
Barrabool Geelong should be the track to hold an event to that magnitude.

Offline NR555

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2010, 03:41:13 pm »
Barrabool using the 97 thumpers track.   :o  WFO all the way!

firko

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2010, 03:55:10 pm »
MA does own Barrabool

And quite frankly this is where it should be notwithstanding TMBills accurate assumption of the fat wogs ideas. I went to both previous GPs held at Broadford and while I enjoyed them, the thought of how much better they would have been at Barabool was always on my mind. Still, even if politics placed it back at Broadford I'd be there, even though the World MX Championship amounts to three fifths of FA on the importance scale these days compared to the magic 80s.

Why have we, the motocross public of the world let the fat wog and his predecessors allow motocrosses holy grail, the World Championships be so detuned as to become a second rate series shown late at night on obscure channels. Think I'm over reacting? In the 70s and 80s I could tell you every rider, what they rode and what they'd won, these guys were like pop stars. Now, who can honestly say they've followed Antonio Cairioli and Marvin Musquins careers with the same passion we did with Adolf Weil, Roger,Joel or any of the houshold names of the golden years? All the decent riders head for America these days leaving the rest to fight out the MX1/MX2 Titles.

Offline Hakans beer stop

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2010, 04:02:00 pm »
MA does own Barrabool

And quite frankly this is where it should be notwithstanding TMBills accurate assumption of the fat wogs ideas. I went to both previous GPs held at Broadford and while I enjoyed them, the thought of how much better they would have been at Barabool was always on my mind. Still, even if politics placed it back at Broadford I'd be there, even though the World MX Championship amounts to three fifths of FA on the importance scale these days compared to the magic 80s.

Why have we, the motocross public of the world let the fat wog and his predecessors allow motocrosses holy grail, the World Championships be so detuned as to become a second rate series shown late at night on obscure channels. Think I'm over reacting? In the 70s and 80s I could tell you every rider, what they rode and what they'd won, these guys were like pop stars. Now, who can honestly say they've followed Antonio Cairioli and Marvin Musquins careers with the same passion we did with Adolf Weil, Roger,Joel or any of the houshold names of the golden years? All the decent riders head for America these days leaving the rest to fight out the MX1/MX2 Titles.

Ah, but the thing is Firko, there's plenty of room and solid ground in the middle of road race circuits for the race teams "Big Rigs/hospitality" to park now days . . . . Which is the most important thing of course. ::)

albrid-3

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2010, 04:40:07 pm »
Bring these godspell rock stars down to earth like the rest of us and tell them to pitch a tent and sleep on the ground where the true motorcross men do. and when they open the tent flap they can lookout and admire the views of the barrabool Hills.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 04:42:42 pm by Classic Dirt Bike Market »

Offline dave king

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2010, 05:01:47 pm »

Dont forget the GP circus will hit fly away venues without all the big rigs and youthstream kit,  its very likely  that a natural venue will be used.