Author Topic: Anyone got kids that ride/race?  (Read 4621 times)

TT

Anyone got kids that ride/race?
« on: April 13, 2010, 06:13:47 pm »
How do you get them interested?  :D
My 10 year old son came to me a couple days ago saying he wanted to get into VMX!!   Woo Hoo!!!!!   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

He reckons he has even worked out what sort of bike he wants but needs to save up a bit of money. No problem, I said. I'll help as much as I can.

Then he came out with a photo of some stinkin' push bike.............. for $2.5k no less...............  >:(

He said BMX not VMX....................  ::)

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone got kids that ride/race?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 06:28:27 pm »
I know what you mean Tony, the first time I ever heard of VMX, I thought they said BMX and I told them I'm way to old for that............... little did I know eh, as far as VMX goes I'm still wet behind the ears.  ;)
If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer

Offline David Lahey

• Legend
  • Gladstone, Queensland Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 06:58:30 pm »
The things thing that worked so far for me (my kids are now 9 and 11 and started riding at 6):
I bought them along to competitions I was riding in and let them see other kids riding around having fun.
Bought them motor bikes that are easy to ride and can be ridden at home.
Teach them the basics in private at home.
Let them practice riding at home when they feel like it.
Ride around with them when they want to ride so they get used to riding in company.
Invite them to come riding on competition days.
Help them get used to the competition riding even if it means missing out on some riding yourself.
Keep the whole thing low-key, low-pressure and fun.
I won't care if they never get addicted like me, but I do want them to have had the opportunity of knowing what fun it is.
previous pseudonym feetupfun

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 07:02:42 pm »
I'd say they already are adicted f.u.f.  They just don't know it yet  ;)
Looking for YZ250C parts NOS if possible

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)
The only triple jumps he would have been doing are the hop, skip & jump.

Offline oldskool

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 07:55:19 pm »
mine all ride 3 girls 1 boy even though the 2 older girls are more interested than my son hes the youngest age 10 the 2 older girls are 14 and 16 hardly ever rode pushbikes but as soon as i mentioned motorbikes they were all for it.i think in my case it helped having lazy children they realised they could jump on a bike and twist the throttle instead of peddaling less work instant winner ;D.most weekends its the 14 yo daughter thats asking first she's bacoming quite a good rider and can ride her chinese bike better than i can :o.she's seen how the 2strokes go and now wants one real bad but im a bit scared to put her on one she has no fear and just goes as quick as possible but its got to happen one day.cheers gary

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 10:10:48 pm »
The things thing that worked so far for me (my kids are now 9 and 11 and started riding at 6):
I bought them along to competitions I was riding in and let them see other kids riding around having fun.
Bought them motor bikes that are easy to ride and can be ridden at home.
Teach them the basics in private at home.
Let them practice riding at home when they feel like it.
Ride around with them when they want to ride so they get used to riding in company.
Invite them to come riding on competition days.
Help them get used to the competition riding even if it means missing out on some riding yourself.
Keep the whole thing low-key, low-pressure and fun.
I won't care if they never get addicted like me, but I do want them to have had the opportunity of knowing what fun it is.

That's pretty much my plan - especially the last bit.
So far, so good - The Boy's favourite words are "car" and "bike" - but I honestly suspect that giving him the opportunities to ride that I wish I had, will also mean that he'll take it for granted and the passion will not burn as brightly in him.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 10:41:36 pm »
I reckon you have got to get a bike say big bore that just scares them that you ride but tell them they can ride it when they are big enough worked on me straight from gt80 to pe400. ;)

It is hard though because they want new new new like there mates at school trying to convince them that a bike much older is equally as good or better is hard my little brother is oposite to me doesn't care to much not interested even though we got him a good bike and he can ride he is happy to let it sit there unused most the day. You can tell too that they aren't interested alot of people don't get it not there thing but a motorbike or car especially can grow on you regardless of performance.
1971 tm400 and PE's

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 10:42:56 pm »
Ben was born in 93 and attend MX,Enduros and anything Steven was entering in within the calender year out in the Goldfields,so really had no choice in the matter.
Ben only ever rode recreational only.
While I was doing canteen for MX and VMX canteen in the southwest he would sit out the front on a bench chair munching on canteen food and riding his pushy with other club kids.
Until in 2007,he said "he would like to have a go"   :o  
The rest my friends, as they say is history----we now have a great relationship with our bank manager.  ;D   :P
Best is in the West !!

TT

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 10:47:31 pm »
I guess I should clarify that I'm not interested in pushing my boy into anything.
I am pleased that he wants to do a sport like BMX as it will be good for his fitness and teach him some mechanical skills.
And it might lead to something with an engine...........  ;)

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 10:56:14 pm »
dont have kids but our club dirt track day on sunday had 2 nipper races x 2 rounds for 4 + year olds they loved it racing the same as there dads (so the little boy on the ktm50 pitted next to me beamed with enjoyment)
jim

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 11:23:23 pm »
I guess I should clarify that I'm not interested in pushing my boy into anything.

Well he ain't gonna be a winner with that nancy boy talk ! Start be drumming it in to little TT that YOU will be living vicairiously through him at all times. That you will throw very embarrassing tanties/hissy fits at officials, parents, competitors and most importantly him, if he fails to secure any form of a trophy(even in his first race).Failure to do so will be followed by a long drive home in silence('cept for diesel knock). If he does do some good make sure to emphasize that it was all down to the sacrifices YOU made  and how you now finaly have something to brag about constantly at work. He'll be world champ in no time ;D
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline oldskool

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 11:38:58 pm »
my two oldest daughters also both love the old bikes as well 16 yo has a 72 honda sl100 and chose that over a much later xr100and the 14 yo wants an older bike as well.the 14 yo has always wanted to be like dad i remember one of my bosses in sydney asking her what she wanted to be when she got older her answer was i want to be a truck driver like dad she was only about 6 or 7 at the time and i was at work picking up a truck to take to brisbane.she used to love the trips away in the trucks and would come at any chance.

Offline NR555

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 09:05:54 am »
Just let him tag along with you to the races.  Most kids are gagging for a go at something once they see all the action.

Offline huskibul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2010, 09:37:32 am »
  My young bloke started at 10 in backyard on a basket case z(after picking up an old photo of me racing) ,just told him stories about old skool moto/dirttrack feetup funs got it pegged! just let it gradually unfold i think pushiing is worst thing you can do.My son is 16 now and he can walk threw a pit full of late model stuff and not even look sidewards(and he raced them for a while) . but take him to a vintage meet or CD and and we're like two kids in a candy store )stick with it theres no hurry. roger d didn't start riding till he was 15-16  ;)

TT

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2010, 11:21:05 am »
Well he ain't gonna be a winner with that nancy boy talk ! Start be drumming it in to little TT that YOU will be living vicairiously through him at all times. That you will throw very embarrassing tanties/hissy fits at officials, parents, competitors and most importantly him, if he fails to secure any form of a trophy(even in his first race).Failure to do so will be followed by a long drive home in silence('cept for diesel knock). If he does do some good make sure to emphasize that it was all down to the sacrifices YOU made  and how you now finaly have something to brag about constantly at work. He'll be world champ in no time ;D

Lots of good advice in there...........  ;)
You've certainly got a way with words, Lozz!  :D