Author Topic: alloy fuel tank - threaded outlet  (Read 6582 times)

mainline

Re: alloy fuel tank - threaded outlet
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2010, 10:36:57 am »
the mob that Lozza listed for the tap, sell the die's as well. I'll see how much they are locally first.

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2010, 11:53:35 am »
I have a thread file if you change your mind - welcome to borrow it  ;)
Looking for YZ250C parts NOS if possible

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)
The only triple jumps he would have been doing are the hop, skip & jump.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2010, 12:42:48 pm »
Thread files work a treat as when you file the damaged thread it has the correct pitch but the 'hills and valleys' on what you have filed are under the root diameter.So anything screws on very easy because of that. The files have a part on them for internal threads also
Jesus only loves two strokes

oldfart

« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2010, 04:08:50 pm »
Here's another solution .... buy an M & F adpt of same thread in brass  use PERMABOND or LOXSEAL to bond. The brass  fitting will have a longer FI thread - thus engaging threads that are not damaged.

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2010, 05:58:13 pm »
is there enough thread left to cut some of the stripped section off and then file/machine the spigot flat again for the seal/fibre washer to do its job?you can make a mandrill to suit a cutter sold seprately to suit those oring style tap washers,the cutter cost about $13 and a machined mandrill wouldnt be much

mainline

« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2010, 07:54:33 am »
well, I picked up a thread file, cause I figured it was something I could use again, whereas a die would be a one-off. Sorry Lozza, I thought you were having a lend when you first posted it, I'd never seen one before and figured it was like the "wankometer" tm you found on ebay. ;D

It certainly made things better, whether there's enough thread there now I'll  have to find out when I test fit before painting.

Otherwise, Stu's plumbing repair idea might come into play.

is there enough thread left to cut some of the stripped section off and then file/machine the spigot flat again for the seal/fibre washer to do its job?you can make a mandrill to suit a cutter sold seprately to suit those oring style tap washers,the cutter cost about $13 and a machined mandrill wouldnt be much

I don't quite follow this Matt, I picked up what you're saying about cutting the spigot shorter and resurfacing it, but the Mandrill bit is over my inexperienced head ???

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2010, 08:53:30 am »
I'd never seen one before and figured it was like the "wankometer" tm you found on ebay. ;D

Did it finaly get delivered? They were temporarily out of stock after the link was posted ;)
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline rocketfrog

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2010, 04:04:01 pm »
I have used neat little 1/4 " (also 3/8 and 1/2) inline mini ball valves in nickel plated brass with a plastic cock handle and a hex body which you could use to adapt with the appropriate brass bushing. These wont break the bank at around $5-10 from Blackwoods. I have used these before and they are a quality peice of kit. You could also turn it 90 degrees out of the tank for a neater, less obvious installation.
Political correctness is a doctrine,fostered by journalists and politicians, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2010, 07:16:02 pm »
any chance a picture rocketfrog ?
Looking for YZ250C parts NOS if possible

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)
The only triple jumps he would have been doing are the hop, skip & jump.

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2010, 02:16:26 am »
Mainline
a manduel is a guide for the cutter but goes up the spigot on the tankits keeps the cutter face square  to the sealing face for the tap,if you wait till tafe goes back ill make one up for a few $

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2010, 02:25:02 am »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline rocketfrog

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2010, 01:06:38 pm »
Political correctness is a doctrine,fostered by journalists and politicians, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."