Author Topic: 2010 Connondale Classic 31July/1 August.  (Read 8091 times)

STW996

Re: 2010 Connondale Classic 31July/1 August.
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2010, 03:13:24 pm »
Well, I would hardly say that the meetings this year have been over run with current members participation.

As for the club side of things let me get this right, if 40 riders from south of the border which to ride we are going to sting them for 1/2 year memberships to run this event????

At the Crawford River last year they were only to happy to let us run free of club membership (and we did offer)

Program tight???

Well the club ran a national event at the same venue last year and could fit (other) classes (all be it over 3 days I will hear you say) into the program without to much concern.

I for one would like to think if we can attract numbers in a class we should let them run, having said that it would be upto the sidecar blokes to make sure the numbers were there to run in the first place, but don't just shut them out. On that point one of the sidecar guys has joined the club and ran solo's at the last event that helped the numbers on the day, shouldn't he have a say??

Well yes I could come along to the club meetings (as I did last year) and vote with what must be less than a quorum, which in our case I am not sure off, but would have to be no less than a third of the current full members, but please let me know. From the meetings I have been too we are lucky to get 20 members to attend.

I stay out of the day to day running of the club so I can concentrate on my business (which sponsors events like this in the past and also this year) but I must say this head in the sand outlook on growing the club makes me laugh.

But as someone else has said this week on this forum, I may well look elsewhere to spend my money in future.

Anyboby interested in buying some low mileage bikes!!

Shane Wilson
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 03:18:18 pm by STW996 »

Offline odd1

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2010, 05:39:38 pm »
If I make the effort to come from Sydney I'd like to ride my solo and sidecar but I wont come all that way just to ride one or the other

Offline shortshifter

• Legend
  • Sunshine Coast QLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2010, 09:06:33 pm »
Shane you asked the question and to the best of my knowledge I gave an answer.The format rules and payment structure were decided some time ago using the 2008 event as a guide which we thought was a good example to follow given our limited experience with this kind of stuff.Should sidecars be able to run at the event?As I said use the meetings as a forum to put the case.Yes Popeye has as much say as anyone who is a member.As for your sponsorship money it is appreciated but why with the threat of withdrawal?you are certainly right about member participation at events and meetings.MMMM Dont sell the bikes just yet.This is not exactly the way I wanted this thread to go,trying to promote a great event that a lot of people are working hard to pull together.Trev,there is always something lurking in the shadows!

STW996

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2010, 07:41:14 am »
Again let me get this straight?

What is the QVMX promoting here?

A big two day club meeting or a national event?????

When I was in the discussions (a number of years ago when the event first kicked off) it was going to be an event of the same level of the nationals (remember that discussion Trev????)

As for my sponsorship how dare you say it is a threat, I don't work that way and never will, I have already paid for this year but can tell you if it is only ever going to be a "big club meeting" will not be on board next. Not threat just the plain truth.

What have (QVMX) promoted this event too with the other "major" sponsor, a national event or club meeting??

I am sure if they realise that you are (I mean the QVMX which I am a paid member off) going to charge extra costs to southern competitors or turn them away they would be more than a little disappointed.

On that note wouldn't "our" sponsorship go towards paying for this (extra MA fee's)??

No need to respond and Trev thanks for the PM but I will be discussing this and other issues at the next night meeting I can asure you of that!!

Offline Sweep Rider

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2010, 12:47:24 pm »
Hi All, 8)

Seems to be a bit of chatting going on about Sidecars so I thought I'd give a quick update to were we are up to.
When we contacted MQ about doing a demo race at Coles Creek they gave us all the track requirements and after discussing it further at our last meeting we decided not to have the demo race.
All this time we were speaking with the sidecar guys through Popeye and they understood our position.
At the time we also discussed them coming to the Classic in July however the program had already been set and all the details had been released for registrations.
The good news is that we are now aiming to include the sidecars ( where possible and with the approval of our members) for 2011.
The side car guys are uncertain of how many numbers they can get to events however their ideas the last we spoke was that they were going to pick 2,3 or 4 events on next years calendar and rally around their guys to ensure they have the numbers. They want to ride with QVMX as we run a Pre-90 Class.
MQ requires the track to be at least 9mtrs wide if we run more than 4 sidecars (6mtrs for 4 or less) so we can then pick the tracks that can accommodate the width needed.
Anyway hopefully we will see some side car action in the future. From my point of view we are here to give our members plenty of good riding on good tracks ....we'll be putting the whole sidecar proposal to the members later in the year so if the members want sidecars to join in, join in they will.

Just a quick comment on Trevs idea about the possibility of providing a $15 food voucher to the interstate guys that turn up and have to pay $15 for a half year membership(MQ requirement, not QVMX's). I think it could be a good way to help out the guys that do the big travelling. I will definately bring it up at the next meeting on June 1st.

See you all at CD7.
Cheers All
Terry
El Presidento QVMX ;D
1974 TM 250, 1974 XL 250 Moto Sport, 1976 RM 370A, 1976 RM 125A, 1977 IT 250D, 1978 SP 370, 1984 XR 200R

Offline worms

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2010, 12:53:35 pm »
I'll add some fodder.

Shanes point is very valid, as the event had been promoted for several years to all clubs in VMX, a bit like a National event focused on the enjoyment factor of VMX, no serious trophies, just winners and grinners.

But, with growth of the event, controlling bodies became more aware of the success of the event and scurtinized it further, claytons situation really, when is a National event not a National event?

so, the closed to club event, where everybody has to be a member of the QVMX might not be the best way forward for the Conondale Classic,

So to run an event with interstate riders who arnt club members needs to be run as a Open event with levies back to MA and MQ, riders fees to increase, but is that an issue.

Our major sponsors get what they think their sponsoring. THAT IS IMPORTANT

I was asked the way forward with all this and did think the closed to club at first to help keep costs down, but now realise how wrong I might of been, so I will be at the meeting as well for the stoneing of worms.

Cheers Trev

« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 05:49:27 pm by worms »

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2010, 05:59:10 pm »
If people get worms, do you get humans?

retrobiker

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2010, 10:07:33 am »
BLOKESWORLD /RETRO BIKES TEAM HACKER SUZUKI
HERE,S SOME OF OUR RIDES FOR THE CD MEET

WE HAVE 4 PE'S AND THE RM WHICH IS ROAD REGISTERED,AQND A COULPE  OF TL TRAILS BIKES

Offline shortshifter

• Legend
  • Sunshine Coast QLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2010, 12:08:36 pm »
Trev,on the subject of people being WRONG,let ME join that club for some stupid posts earlier on this thread,I apologise for those Shane.I lost perpective on the reasons we all ride and need to think alot more inclusively than exclusively.National or club event???Good question.I obviously need to hold off on promoting this event until,as Shane and Trev have pointed out,I know exactly what it is I'm promoting.Sounds like the next meeting should clarify that.Apologies all for my confusion,I will be better informed next time.

TM BILL

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2010, 03:20:05 pm »
For my 2 cents worth  ::) I rode the CC last time it was run and loved it, didn't end to good but still loved it  :) If things go the way Ted planned i will be back this year  ;)

The cost of a half year membership is really irellevent in the scheme of things  ??? whats another $30.00 or so if your travelling interstate or from overseas  :)

Also you are a financial member of a club that runs events at probably one of the best VMX venues in the world  :)

However  if you run open 4 stroke please point out pre event any exeptions  ;)

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2010, 05:07:29 pm »
Bill you tight buggar, I paid for a full year's membership because it was a bargain and you never know when the committee will give me a call to be the ambo driver again, wouldnt want my membership to run out when the chips are down.  ;)
If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer

Offline popeye

• Legend
  • 1-2-3 wheel's l don't care...All good fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2010, 09:22:17 pm »
Hello Terry, yeah about the sidecar side of things, we look like having 8 or 10 at the QLD titles and looks like there are a couple of new ones almost finished so numbers are looking good any body interested in having a ride on one be it drive or swing give me a call or catch up at a meeting 0424979644......
IN IT FOR THE FUN OF IT. LIKE MR NIKE SAYS JUST DO IT.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2010, 09:59:40 pm »
about the sidecar side of things, we look like having 8 or 10 at the QLD titles and looks like there are a couple of new ones.

I feel a grading committee meeting happening   ;D  ;)
Best is in the West !!

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2010, 11:03:46 pm »
Trev,
At the risk of sticking my beak in where it doesn't belong.
Bear in mind, if running a meeting as a National event to get around club membership, all riders require a National licence. The cost of upgrading a club licence to National statis is far more than paying $15 for 1/2 year club membership.
I know some clubs offer a 1 day membership for a pitence, but this would have to be in the constitution, bit late for that now I 'spose.
Food for thought.

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2010, 01:21:14 pm »
Along the lines of 2011 meeting, we are having the annual Sidecar Spectacular in Qld next year and we are looking to add some events to make their trip worth while.
At the moment Tivoli will be the venue for said spectacular and many of the prespective travellers have shown great interest in riding Conondale-so perhaps we can have alot more sidecars than first seemed.
And Allison, we don't need grading here in sunnystate as we can put on a handicap race as per BMCC clubday and it's all down to which passenger can tackle the best :D :D