Author Topic: Montesa VB250 side covers.  (Read 6009 times)

mx250

Montesa VB250 side covers.
« on: December 07, 2007, 09:43:18 pm »
All VB monties I've seen have had side covers like this.....

This Pommy seller describes this as a '76 VB.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/montesa-capra-250vb-twinshock-vintage_W0QQitemZ190180667910QQihZ009QQcategoryZ122174QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Are these a local Pommy distributor modification or a factory mod. Notice the quality of side covers and also the tank decal vatiation.

Offline cyclegod

• Legend
  • Sunny PERTH W.A
    • View Profile
    • cyclegod on "youtube"
Re: Montesa VB250 side covers.
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 11:24:53 pm »
To my recollection didn't the FIM require that side numberboards be visible behind the riders legs sometime mid 70's? I don't think that rule applied to bikes down under or in the U.S until later when most Japanese manufacturers changed to that style for their 79 model range (I think DG offered "FIM compliant" side covers for 79 CR's)
Ban BLACK rims NOW

Offline cappra

• Legend
  • Glendale, Arizona
    • View Profile
    • Southwest Montesa
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 03:12:09 am »
In the states, this bike would be a 78' model VB.  I have never seen those side covers before.
Must be an aftermarket item available in the day.  I have seen a Works bike with modified
side covers to conform to the FIM side cover rule ridden in late 1978.

All Things 414

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 12:36:18 pm »
They must have been a Brit "must have". I've seen the same ones on other Pommy Monties. EUUCHH!! :-\

TooFastTim

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007, 12:55:44 pm »
Law was introduced for the '78 season. Graphics details changed from '77 (top pic) to '78 (bottom pic). I'm open to correction.

All Things 414

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2007, 03:25:45 pm »
They're aftermarket covers. Both VB models had the short covers. The VE's ('79)were the first with the longer ones.

Offline cappra

• Legend
  • Glendale, Arizona
    • View Profile
    • Southwest Montesa
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2007, 07:48:28 pm »
Here's a photo of Torao Suzuki on the VB at the 78' US GP.  You can just see the makeshift extended side number plate.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Husky500evo

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2007, 11:51:15 pm »
Torao Suzuki raced at the Whitsunday Classic motocross meeting in August this year at Proserpine , North Queensland . He was one of six Japanese riders who travelled to Australia to race borrowed machines at this event. He rode a MK10 Bultaco 370 Pursang ( I think ) in pre '78 open class & pretty well gave us all a riding lesson . Spectators commented that he took totally different lines to every one else , had a very smooth riding style & hardly ever sat down on the bike . I just wish I could have got a bit closer to his back wheel , so that I could have followed his lines & learnt something . I had been told that he had been a factory Yamaha rider , riding GP's in the early 70's , but did not realise till later on that he had also been a factory Montesa rider & finished 8th in the 1978 World 250 MX Championship . Apparently the Japanese guys want to come back next year , so I will pay more attention next time . Although it might be hard having a conversation with any of them as they seemed to speak very little english . AJVMX was also at this event , with his camera , so he may have some photos of Torao in action . 

All Things 414

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2007, 06:31:27 am »
Wow! Thanks Husky. Would loved to have seen these guys ride. Please let us know if they are coming back. (Maybe the international stars for Classic Dirt Five......)