Author Topic: Clear Coating Pipes  (Read 2560 times)

TT

Clear Coating Pipes
« on: March 29, 2010, 09:14:00 pm »
First up, my apologies to YZ250H................. I hate chromed pipes.  :-\

But it got me thinking. I remember a mate having a Pro Circuit (I think) pipe that was clear coated so all the welds etc were there for all to see (just like the factory bikes of the time) and it didn't rust.
With a pipe that looks as good as GMC's work, I reckon that would be a good option. Is it available today?

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
Re: Clear Coating Pipes
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 09:27:51 pm »
No apologies necessary TT - each to his own.  I hate black rims AND black spokes, so how weird does that make me  ;D ;D
I had intended to leave mine "factory" as well, but where I lived at the time dictated something different.  I thought the same initially, but it is growing on me.  I have VHT clear on my 250 head that I have tried to cure properly with the heat gun.  I think Tony B used that on his pipe with good results.  Haven't heard from him for a while.
Looking for YZ250C parts NOS if possible

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)
The only triple jumps he would have been doing are the hop, skip & jump.

TT

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 09:58:40 pm »
I hate black rims AND black spokes

I hate them too, but then I hate everything...........  :D

Ok, that answers the question. There is a VHT clear. Pardon my ignorance, but I'd never seen it.
I don't own a GMC pipe but one day maybe................  ;D But I personally really like to see such exceptional work. I guess you can with chrome as well, but as you say, personal taste.  ;)

dave

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 10:45:57 pm »
We used to sell PJ1 clear heat proof paint and I sure there are other brands in the shop. I tried it years ago and it worked fine as long as every now and then I gave it another quick sand and blast (depends on how often you ride).

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 09:33:30 am »
I'm yet to find a clear coat, heat proof or otherwise, which doesn't go that yellow/honey color after it gets hot. The clear coat on the DG pipes is even poxier still and goes that dark brown color. As much as I love the look of a raw pipe, the upkeep is too intensive for a race bike IMO, and the clear option is poor, so black it is for me.
Cheers,
K

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 12:15:55 pm »
i agree with Big K and also that black dissipates the heat better too ;)
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 12:26:10 pm »

Why on earth would you want to by choice dissippate heat from a pipe? I use a 'top secret formula', that coats pipes and stops mud (and salt) from sticking to the pipe.No harder to maintain than a 2min spray before a ride. Every clear will go yellow on the header because that's the hottest part of the pipe. Not many clear coatings will survive 200 deg C+. A good trick is to 'bake' the coating first, in an oven if your lucky enough or just idling the bike stationary and reapply coats while the pipe is hot.Leave to cool over night.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 12:32:59 pm by Lozza »
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline lukeb1961

• Legend
  • PE175N, RM80B, JR50C
    • View Profile
    • PE175N
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 01:35:03 pm »

Why on earth would you want to by choice dissippate heat from a pipe?
that is an interesting point re heat dissipation.
lots of good reading here:
http://cid-407d7ef0965d3991.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/Racing%20Model/Two-Stroke%20Manuals
"Do You Really Want to Know About Expansion Chambers?" is a joy.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 01:36:25 pm »
i have 2 or 3 clear coated pipes and all of them are still rusting ?  and kinda look a bit shitty now, and they had VHT engine clear on them in more than 2 coats...........
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

TT

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 02:38:54 pm »
i have 2 or 3 clear coated pipes and all of them are still rusting ?

Ah, but is it just that you can see the rust  ???