Author Topic: Honda Broadford Bike Bonanza  (Read 24690 times)

Offline Tex

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Honda Broadford Bike Bonanza
« Reply #60 on: April 04, 2010, 10:35:05 pm »
I spent all day today (Sunday) at the vinduro loop, and had a great time. Sure it was a little dusty, but you just adapt your riding to suit.

It was a good idea to run the loop in reverse after lunch.

Great to catch up with old friends, and indulge in some bullshitting too. I saw nothing of the rest of the HBBB, but you can't have everything.

Thanks to all involved in putting this event together. I'll be back in 2011.

Tex

Offline NR555

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 04, 2010, 11:10:32 pm »
So who's is that gorgeous Moto Villa?  :P

Tim37 on this forum owns it.  Last time I came across it, it was showing a few big bore Evo bikes the fast way around a slippery grasstrack at Mirboo north!  ???

All Things 414

« Reply #62 on: April 05, 2010, 07:30:47 am »
Just great! Of the hundreds of pics taken of my H7 those are the ones that get on here! Without going into the details I had drama's from the start and I never got to turn a wheel (of my own) on the track.
But I still had a grouse time! As usual I didn't get past the motocross track (suits me) and apart from my technical issues spent the weekend pissing myself laughing with KB, Ian, Jake (KB's boy) and a suspicious looking character who was hangin' around the place.
The cool guys on the scooter are Billet YZ and his boy Jake who got to see the whole show in style.

The track was awesome and the guys racing the Nats next week will have nothing to complain about as far as it goes. Look out whoever is in Mr Leathem's class. I reckon' he'll ride over the top of you to get that title..... ;)

Thanks again to KB and Ian for letting me have a decent old blast around on their ships. I really started to get to grips with that Red Devil. Hmmmmm...... :-X

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2010, 08:51:14 am »
Thanks for the pics.  The track looks magnificent!

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2010, 09:04:24 am »
Without going into the details I had drama's from the start and I never got to turn a wheel (of my own) on the track.
But I still had a grouse time!

Didn't you take the YZ  ::)  Or was it DNS as well ??
Looking for YZ250C parts NOS if possible

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)
The only triple jumps he would have been doing are the hop, skip & jump.

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2010, 10:04:48 am »
Without going into the details I had drama's from the start and I never got to turn a wheel (of my own) on the track.
But I still had a grouse time!

Didn't you take the YZ  ::)  Or was it DNS as well ??
he didnt take it

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2010, 10:16:35 am »
Had a good time over on the other side of Broadford, worked my "shop" on the Saturday so didn't get to see all that much except that it looked busy everywhere.
Took the little KDX for a run on Sunday and was somewhat surprised how good it decided to run.
I found myself short on fuel as I wasn't expecting to ride it as much as I did, thanks for the spare litres Nathan.

I gave my camera to my son Jax to use...

Unkown guys dicing on the MX track,

Most of his photo's were of me,

And some of my mate Dave on his DT 360,

And an unkown IT,

I loved the MX track, Loam heaven, the exact opposite to the horrible hardpack it used to be,

G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

muddy

« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2010, 11:16:05 am »
few pic`s i took on the weekend .

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 05, 2010, 11:46:42 am »
So sorry I had to leave by 2.30, How did the supercharged Vincent outfits sound to ya Muddy? :D :D :D ;)    Tim754
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 05, 2010, 12:17:40 pm »
A good fun weekend, with many highlights - I scored some bargains, met some top people, and caught up with even more top people that I'd met at previous events.

Was also given a chance to ride a few other bloke's bikes, which is always fun and always appreciated! In particular, GMC's low-mileage KDX175 shows how flogged out my 200 is, and Kurt's MX250 is damn fast.

My MX250 crapped its ignition, so is now in doubt for next weekend - but then again, I'm glad I had a chance to ride it before the Nationals, and I'm glad it happened before the Nationals...

The riding aspect was a bit underwhelming, to be blunt.

The MX track was a bit of a disappointment after the promises made about its condition - I really hope that its given some love in the next week - so much potential, but...
Specifically, the watering system seemed to be designed only to increase the size of the mud holes, and the down-hill whoops are simply not fun on a short travel bike.
The surface is magic and there was some parts of the track that were a ton of fun, so its not a total-loss - but if the track is in that condition next week, then I can confidantly say the Coffs and Connondale Nats had much better tracks... The bright side is that a few hours with a blade and some care with the watering system is all that seperates the Broadford track from awesomeness.
Also frustrating was the short sessions - I lost count of the number of times I'd go out and do one or two laps, only for the session to end. And then all of the riders would simply loop around and wait for the next session to begin - but we'd inevitably have to wait five minutes before the next session to begin. ??? I ended up spending most of Sunday arvo on the Vinduro track because it was a simple matter of rolling up to the start line and going...
I liked the idea of the era-specific sessions, but allocating two 15-minute sessions per era per day is always going to leave people feeling short changed. I understand why the abandoned the era-specific sessions, but I don't understand why the 'all-in' sessions were still so short.

Oh, and having all of the officials have their lunch breaks at exactly the same time seems a bit crazy. If the breaks were staggered (say, road race at 12pm, MX at 12:30, Vinduro at 1pm) then everyone (including the officials) would be encouraged to go and see other disciplines. As it is, the whole place grinds to a halt...

For me, the riding highlight was easily Sunday's vinduro loop, which was great fun even with the dust.

But hey, a weekend of talking, touching and riding old dirt bikes is always fun, right?
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline TeeBone

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 05, 2010, 01:18:30 pm »
It was my first HBBB and it won't be my last. Met some fine folk from here and finally got to have a crack on the CR after rebuilding it.
At least it looked "ok" before the event started! Still smooth and damned quick! It's a damned good looking resto
Dave/Wolverine/Dot/TLR's old Grey Ghost - resurrected!

The rest of the time I was too busy watching/looking/benchracing and bullshitting to take any more pics!

Thanks Drakey!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 08:47:08 pm by TeeBone »
Destined to a life behind bars. A garage full of KTM's and a 73 CR 250M Honda....H7 250 Monty will be at Harrow!
A "never was" of the Nineties...

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 05, 2010, 01:35:33 pm »
 :o

All Things 414

« Reply #72 on: April 05, 2010, 04:07:58 pm »
The MX track was a bit of a disappointment after the promises made about its condition - I really hope that its given some love in the next week - so much potential, but...

I don't think some people have ever really raced on "Proper MX" tracks. ???
Sometimes they were bottomless quagmires that suck your bike towards Inner Earth. (Just ask Jimmy Ellis about it in first round of the 1986 Mr Motocross held at Broadford. :o)

Somtimes they went for months in summer with the ruts that were left in from the last muddy event turned rock hard with a concrete quality to them that would break bike and bone when the two met with it.

Sometimes they had hugh kickers in the take-off ramps of the jumps (and oh yes there were doubles, triples and quads around in the early 1980's) that would see your rear guard over-taking your head in mid-air.

Some people seem to be of the consideration that they should be highly manicured, 2 ft loam deep freeways that rider should be able to cruise around on whilst smiling for the cameras with little fear of doing damage to one's self.

That track, as it stands, will be perfect for next weekend....... ??? ::)

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 05, 2010, 04:19:37 pm »
I've ridden plenty of shitty MX tracks - but none of them have promised awesomeness...

And none of them had been used for a National level event of a sport that's about fragile old bikes (and often fragile old bodies) in that state.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline yzhilly

• Legend
  • Melbourne
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 05, 2010, 04:34:36 pm »
Awesome just finished unpacking and washing bikes .Top weekend i had a ball on the MX track and rode it all weekend just hard to jam it all in only got to see a little bit of speedway and a couple of sessions on the tarmac . Had a ball well done Drakie and all the Crew who run it Thanks .Hilly.
yzhilly ,YZ400E,,YZ250J,YZ125K,YZ100K,IT465H ,IT400D,IT250K , IT200L,XR250,XL250R,XL200R,XL125
Viper #436