Author Topic: SHOCK The Bill AXED  (Read 6176 times)

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
SHOCK The Bill AXED
« on: March 28, 2010, 08:31:31 am »
ITV has axed The Bill after 27yrs of saturday night viewing.  :'( What do we watch now?
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline vmxken

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: SHOCK The Bill AXED
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 09:20:07 am »
Also in mourning.  Good to see there was at least one other fan on the forum!

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 09:28:36 am »
We stopped watching The Bill about 2 years ago when the staff started to get involved with each other in more ways than one,cops and robbers where left out of the script.
utter pommy smut.   ;)    ;D
Best is in the West !!

firko

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 10:36:24 am »
The Bill lost me as a viewer when Supt Brownlow left and the dodgy Supt Tom Chandler took over. The storylines started to become soapy with various affairs within Sunhill station including June Ackland rooting Jim Carver. All too unbelievable and detracting from the original "fly on the wall" style of the show.

I watched it religiously since it's beginning (taping episodes if I was out) but haven't watched a single episode since Chandler topped himself in 2002. The show is a mere shadow of its former self and has gone way past its use by date in my humble opinion.

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 11:03:51 am »
Firko 2002 wasnt that when you got the play boy channel ?   lol
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 12:42:34 pm »
The change from the half hour to hour format was due to the outsourcing of production to a company who were responsible for Corronation Street etc etc, which was the beginning of the end.They seem tho switch from character based to storyline based, the enduring characters like 'PC Reg Hollis' made the show. Incidentaly Jeff Stewart who played Reg Hollis was not happy about his axing from the show, there was even a petition to keep him in the show !
I suppose the Beebe were between the provebial rock and hard place, the in house production would have cost a fortune , had a loyal audience but numbers not growing. Any 'revamp' by marketing types would drive away the loyal viewers. The attempts to dumb down the show and include elements of 'CSI' were very easy to pick.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 03:14:26 pm »
Aye - used to watch it all the time as a kid, but couldn't stand to be in the room when it was on in the last few years.

Bring back Burnside!

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Curly3

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 03:38:37 pm »
CSI SUN HILL. It lost me several years ago. Loved it when it was a Cop show about everyday policing.

Offline suzuki27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 04:15:16 pm »
Thank Christ.
Time for an updated  'Minder' I reckon. Arthur and Tel on the scam etc.

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 04:46:47 pm »
Axed?!  :o You're kidding right? I've watched almost every episode since maybe 1995 (and get a tad cranky if I miss it).
Sh1t! >:(
It certainly has changed from time to time and some eras are better than others.
But overall it's still my fave Copper show and much preferred over anything the Yanks (and us Aussies) can put together.

I think it was 'The Bill' that taught me cars don't always explode when they crash or get shot at - how's that for realism?!
They currently show older replays on the pay telly and with 27 years of footage in their archive I'll happily watch 'em all over again. ;) 
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 04:52:55 pm »
That'll upset a few, lots of people had their favored eras in that show. Mine was around the year 2000/2001, when you could hear in nearly every location shot a cruddy old four-cylinder Honda or similar with buggered pipes and a shot chain/sprockets, winding it on and whizzing round the nearby streets giving us an earful. I've no idea whether it was intentional or not, but it was suspiciously regular... ;)
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2010, 05:10:42 pm »
spose there's more room on TV for motocross now ;D
seriously though,
i thought something had happened to TMBill when i read the headline :D
"flat bickie"

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2010, 05:17:53 pm »
i thought something had happened to TMBill when i read the headline
Same here, i was worried until i opened the thread.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2010, 06:53:04 pm »
Axed?!  :o You're kidding right? I've watched almost every episode since maybe 1995 (and get a tad cranky if I miss it).
Sh1t! >:(
It certainly has changed from time to time and some eras are better than others.
But overall it's still my fave Copper show and much preferred over anything the Yanks (and us Aussies) can put together.

I think it was 'The Bill' that taught me cars don't always explode when they crash or get shot at - how's that for realism?!
They currently show older replays on the pay telly and with 27 years of footage in their archive I'll happily watch 'em all over again. ;) 

Hey dude-- koowaabunngga .. :-* ..where have ya been-- so glad you are back on the screen  8)
Missed ya--stay a while   ;D
cheers west Oz
Best is in the West !!

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2010, 07:13:52 pm »
Yes Wombat - I too have wondered where you have been.  We miss your witty comments  ;D
Looking for YZ250C parts NOS if possible

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)
The only triple jumps he would have been doing are the hop, skip & jump.