Author Topic: Sign of the times  (Read 2038 times)

Sign of the times
« on: December 06, 2007, 11:32:48 am »
The ACT motorcycle club last nite agreed to look into setting an appropriate fee for members to offset emissions associated with our activities.  They agreed that particularly as racing is a discretionary activity (or seen as discretionary by the wider public) that its in all our interests to do what we can to make our racing sustainable and defensible.

We've done some preliminary research into it, and likely to cost us between $60-90 per event (for an average of 150 riders) to offset.  That's around five bucks extra per rider (if we go that way) to plant 38 trees per event (which would do the trick to absorb the CO2 - over time).  We all know that just not doing it would be the best way, and the time may (or may not) come when that is forced on us.  So the more we do now to argue why we're not doing that much to trash the atmosphere, the more we'll be able to keep hitting the throttle.

Will let you know what we end up with.

mx250

Re: Sign of the times
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 12:59:17 pm »
Although I'm still getting my head around carbon offsets (which by my calculation is carbon delay (when the trees die they'll re-release carbon)) but its a great and appropriate action - even if it does just end up being a 'warm inner glow' and public perception 'shut-up-the-whingers' PR exercise. I for one would happily pay the extra.

Don't forget the plant the 38 trees on the perimeter of the race track property as a 'sound absobsion barrier  ;D.

All Things 414

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 12:32:48 pm »
Fantastic. I'll go one step further and donate some of my speacial plants which'll really soak up those nasty carbons and give everyone (for the right fee) a nice warm feeling. As long as they're placed directly beneath the trees so as they're difficult to spot from a 'chopper and watered regularly. I am a bit of a philanthropist (the anonymous type), so if anyone comes asking :o........they aint mine........ :-[

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 12:55:43 pm »
The ACT motorcycle club last nite agreed to look into setting an appropriate fee for members to offset emissions associated with our activities.  They agreed that particularly as racing is a discretionary activity (or seen as discretionary by the wider public) that its in all our interests to do what we can to make our racing sustainable and defensible.

We've done some preliminary research into it, and likely to cost us between $60-90 per event (for an average of 150 riders) to offset.  That's around five bucks extra per rider (if we go that way) to plant 38 trees per event (which would do the trick to absorb the CO2 - over time).  We all know that just not doing it would be the best way, and the time may (or may not) come when that is forced on us.  So the more we do now to argue why we're not doing that much to trash the atmosphere, the more we'll be able to keep hitting the throttle.

Will let you know what we end up with.

So was this ever implemented,and did you get your carbon credit cash back from any government body..cheers
Best is in the West !!

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 08:37:43 pm »
Save emissions buy a 4 stroke for vmx
Bloody greeny -PC bullshit
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

oz555ktm

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 08:54:18 pm »
 Well that would go to replace the 40 odd trees I cut down to Make a sound Barrier 2 years ago .
  When thay Change the Best part of the Track it was the old part of the track from 1975 it was all
  red sand ..

and the Big old Gum tree near Exit . and all the trees in the pits 

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 08:59:48 pm »
Well that would go to replace the 40 odd trees I cut down to Make a sound Barrier 2 years ago .
  When thay Change the Best part of the Track it was the old part of the track from 1975 it was all
  red sand ..
  and the Big old Gum tree near Exit . and all the trees in the pits 

crazy crazy world we live in  ::)
Best is in the West !!

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 09:46:08 pm »
If I plant some trees, can I charge people if they deposit their carbon in my tree's ?
What if we had a forest planted around one of my local tracks, then a devoloper went and cut them down, where do we put our carbon now?
Do the airlines plant sky tree's to soak up their tons of carbon?
What if I plant trees for a living, am  excluded from the $5 carbon offset fee?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 09:47:46 pm by evo550 »