Author Topic: Where to source bikes?  (Read 4149 times)

Offline russvr4

• Novice
    • View Profile
Where to source bikes?
« on: March 25, 2010, 09:05:10 am »
Now you guys have probably been asked this question a heap of times but with all your experiences where is the best place to find reasonably priced and condition bikes (how long is a piece of string i hear you say.Does everybody trawl ebay like some sort of bikerphile hoping to find a bargain or do you buy bikes overseas and import them.I look at some of the bikes on the DDR website particularly the 1979 cr 250 and they seem to start at about 4000 and go up to 6500.Is this a reasonable amount to spend has anyone bought one off them and was it as they described.My brother in law is a bike salesman and he checked it out with his wholesaler who said the last mint one he had went for $10000 and a shitter $3500.On ebay USA there is one for $2000 US buy it now and it looks OK i realise this is a lot of questions but i am a virgin to this old bike scene.Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Russ

Offline Billet YZ

• Legend
  • Melton Victoria.
    • View Profile
Re: Where to source bikes?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 09:32:06 am »
All i can suggest Russ is don`t be misled by the term offered by a lot of sellers, READY TO RACE. Have a good look at the bike or have someone look at the bike as close as possible and take it from there.

I wouldn`t assume anything with a second hand bike, i always allow for the worst case in repairing the thing that way you won`t be dissapointed when you start to pull the bike apart. My opinion is a good bike to buy is one that is being raced with a good finishing record and buy it from the track straight after the meeting.
                                                                                           Peter.
YAMAHA  you know you want one !!!  Viper #50

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 09:40:12 am »
My opinion is a good bike to buy is one that is being raced with a good finishing record and buy it from the track straight after the meeting.
                                                                                           Peter.

http://www.motorcyclingvic.com.au/index.php?id=341
 www.classicscramble.org.au
For your local Vic area, buyers guide  ;)   ;D

NZ imports http://ozvmx.com/community/index.php?topic=6203.0
Canada imports  http://ozvmx.com/community/index.php?topic=8364.0
USA import/posting parts   http://ozvmx.com/community/index.php?topic=495.0
its an addiction  ;D  cheers
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 01:09:43 pm by VMX247 »
Best is in the West !!

Offline shorelinemc

• Legend
  • life sucks&then you die
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 10:10:50 am »
give me a ring 07 3821 6777 i bring bikes from the usa let me know what you want or ring and just have a chat. robin

mx250

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 10:11:01 am »
It's called the 'Arsehole Rule of Life' - 90% of the probs are caused by 10% of the Arseholes. (the %'s are not important).

In other words you can get mislead and ripped off from all sources.

I think your best bet is through sites like this one and the VMX clubs.

You'll always pay more at a dealer. And for good reasons. There's advantages and disadvantages. With dealers they are knowledgeable and give you convenience etc. Also can give help advice and backup. And they will probably be still there when you go back with a complaint, if any. And they are more exposed to commercial and consumer laws as well as bad PR, so for these reasons and good business practice they will probably give you good service.

If you buy off ebay etc always view/inspect the bike. If you can't then take the punt. But make sure it's cheap - your call. Always get a bike as complete and as original as poss. Always ends up cheaper.

Be patient ;) ;D. Good luck.

All Things 414

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 11:30:39 am »
I wouldn't expect to get anything decent to race for under four grand. Of course you could still pay more and end up with a 'shitter' however I doubt you're going to get a 'gem' for under that amount (my VR isn't included as you have to have at least one decent break in your life-time).
I think people still live in a 'Never-never' land where race bikes are wheeled out of barns, fueled up and ready to go with the old bloke hanging onto it saying something like "No Son. Five hunert bucks ought to do it. It'll just be good to see the old girl out winning races again.....".

Billet YZ's bit of advice sounds reasonable to me. Buy one that you can see getting around ok. ;)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 11:33:45 am by All Things 414 »

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 12:33:44 pm »
I thik it depends on what bike you actually looking for ??? and then what do you want to do with it ? i got a shed full of Dt's and MX's but if you looking for a RM400  then i cant help ya.  So again it really depends on what model bike you want, will settle for for a ride, or if you MUSt have somthing and so be it you will pay accorrding to that direction, then if you want to race it you close the gap further.    I can sell you a Mint tm250M for 3K but if you want to run it PRe 75 it not worth 50c to you, so its all going to come down to that, in that example are you just going to ride at club days in which case it would be a bargin. " it all depands "

Its all about what your want to do with your riding or collecting,  finding the bikes are the easy part, as we all seem to keep changing our minds on what classes where riding and then we see another bike and buy that too then before you know it there breeding in your shed.

IF you can answer what you want to achive then its real easy to point you to the right place and the right bike.

IF you come back with a
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 12:53:30 pm »
Just Bikes and Motorcycle trader magazines, 'Bike Sales' website, word of mouth from other people and go into your local shop and ask if they know any bikes for sale. Just ask around, friends, family, local bike clubs etc etc. Theres a good chance you will find what your after or a friend of a friend will say  'oh yeah i got one of those stashed in the back shed and i dont use it anymore'

When buying a used bike that is unrestored and not new condition or the seller can not provide any proof of the work that they claim has been done to the bike, then expect the worst and be prepared to spend some dollars on it. If you expect the worst then you wont be dissapointed when you find things wrong with it or stuff that needs doing or is not right.

Keep in mind that if things are wrong with it and ask your self 'am i going to be able to just buy the parts and fix it my self or am i going to have to pay a shop to fix it'
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 12:58:42 pm by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 04:28:06 pm »
If you're after a particular model of bike, then you just have to be patient and persistant.
Put the word out (particularly in the local VMX club & bike shops), check the many and assorted websites religiously, buy Just Bikes/Motorcycle Trader as soon as the come out, check local notice boards, etc etc.

I was speaking to someone recently who reckons he won't touch anything that's already been worked on because most of the time the work is below his standards, and he has to do it all again.
I don't entirely agree, but there is definitely value in rebuilding a bike yourself - at least that way you avoid the Curse Of The Previous Owner*.

If you're going to go racing, then the best bit of advice is to get along to some race meetings and introduce yourself. Once you're seen to be a real person (rather than just words on a PC screen), people will start telling you about bikes they know of, or giving you a phone call when they stumble across something in someone else's shed.
Most of the bikes I've got (and most of the bargains) have been found by/purchased from mates - although very few of them were bought 'ready to ride'.

*COTPO is when the previous owner has done rough/shoddy work. Of course, they'll get the blame for everything that ever goes wrong, even if they've never touched that part of the bike.
And everyone does stuff that's not 110% - usually because we're in a hurry or the parts aren't available or similar - but at least we know why there's a short-cut, whereas when you see a dodgy screw in your new pride and joy, you'll curse the previous owner for being a bodgy bastard...
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

firko

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 04:52:55 pm »
All of the above suggestions have merit and come from blokes who've been in exactly the same boat. We all started somewhere. I look at it from a few different perspectives. If you just want to buy a bike and go racing with the minimum of fuss, talk to the guys at the races as Nathan and others have suggested. Nearly everyone knows of this bike or that bike for sale or can advise you on what to look for. If you are more adventurous and don't mind building your own racer, try and find a bike that's unmodified and in as original condition as possible. Don't worry about faded or broken plastic or rusty and corroded parts. As long as the originals are there you have a solid base to work from. Incomplete bikes are often short the parts that are hard or impossible to find, the very reason they're for sale in the first place.

Don't be afraid of buying offshore. Many, great and interesting bikes are coming in from the USA and Europe and if you are hip with the market, you can get a bike for around half of what you'd pay locally. The Trading Post , eBay and Mark Holloways Swapmeet site http://www.vintagemx.us/cgi-bin/swapmeet.cgi?action=marks+stuffare excellent sources. Many of us have found some very cheap bikes on the Swapmeet and if you decide to buy from offshore there are many of us here that can guide you through the process. 
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 05:46:19 am by firko »

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 05:15:45 pm »
if you are hip with the market 

....... been a while since i heard the phase  ' hip to"   anything  :D :D :D ;D
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Husk72

• B-Grade
  • Attitude? What effing attitude?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 06:27:39 pm »
"Hip to be square by Huey Lewis and the News". 8)
Surely you must'av bopped to that one recently,Freaky. ;)
I used to drink a lot.
I still do,but I used to,too.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2010, 07:25:18 pm »
NOpe didnt like it the first time around.................
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

Offline russvr4

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2010, 09:36:59 pm »
Thanks for all the info guys.I saw there is something happening at Broadford on the Easter weekend will there be any vmx people or bikes attending this meeting i was thinking of taking a drive there on the sunday.

Russ

Offline yzhilly

• Legend
  • Melbourne
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2010, 11:52:29 pm »
Yep i will be there with a few old bikes but if i can get them going ,I will be riding them  . See ya there  Hilly Viper #436 .
yzhilly ,YZ400E,,YZ250J,YZ125K,YZ100K,IT465H ,IT400D,IT250K , IT200L,XR250,XL250R,XL200R,XL125
Viper #436