Author Topic: Worst MX Injurys  (Read 12365 times)

cheapracer

Re: Worst MX Injurys
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2011, 12:59:29 pm »

"Motocross is a dangerous sport. You may be injured, killed or have your goolies re-arranged"

That means close to nothing in a courtroom.

Track designers/organizers have a responsibility to ensure that a track can be negotiated with reasonable skill and safety - if you put a 50 meter high double in a track there is no doubt some 'fearless' riders will attempt it so you don't do it. Often riders do not ride to their limits, they often don't know their own limits hence you have to plan around them.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2011, 01:28:26 pm »
In NSW at least, it actually does mean something. The laws were changed so that disclaimers actually mean something, particularly in the context of people CHOOSING to participate in an inherently risky activity.

Its relatively common for riders to withdraw before racing starts, ands have their entry refunded.
The "opt out" clause at the rider's briefing cuts off any future option of getting up in a court room and saying you were feeling pressured into riding on a track you felt was dangerous.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2011, 01:53:59 pm »
The way the guy worded the disclaimer at CD7 was brilliant.
" If you find something you consider dangerous please come and tell us " or something that meant the same.
 Puts the responsibility straight back on the complainer.
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Offline Rosco86

• A-Grade
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2011, 07:20:01 pm »
Youngest son gave away mx/dt to concentrate on swimming a few years back, but made many good mates in Cental Queensland. Was supposed to go to a 21st early next month in Mackay, but young William Rassmussen had an accident at Middlemount 2 weekends back. Battled on for a few days on life support but eventually succumbed and parents had to turn off the machine. Hard to ever imagine yourself as a parent having to do that. We can all reel off the bullshit and act out the racers creed, but these accidents affect many people for life. While track design is not free flowing  like the old days there are many worse injuries in modern mx and dirt track. Rest in Peace, Rassy #199. Mackay has had a shit year MX wise with Stevie Dinsdale also passing.

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2011, 07:25:18 pm »
I agree that mixing A, B & C grades together is a recipe for danger, we have the same issues in roadracing at the moment; too many red flags as the C graders come off on cold tyres.

I rode MX at Seymour (Northern region Championship) on the weekend (first time in many years), I rode over 45's which was combined with over 35's & Ladies (yeh a couple of them smoked me lol), I see over 35's as a bit of a joke; there are still some fast A graders in their late 30's. I think it should be 'over 40' & 'over 50'.

I also rode in the A, B & C grade open class; the speed differential was terrifying!

I haven't ridden any VMX events as yet (still looking for that RM250B  ;-) ), I guess that as the majority of riders are older that speeds and chance-taking would be a little different (I hope).
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2011, 10:18:03 pm »
i cut my finger once putting a tear off on my googles, should have warning labels on the packets  ::)
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

cheapracer

« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2011, 01:32:44 pm »
A number of people here are well aware of "the guy who broke his leg" at a BMCC race and the many years of stress suffered by the club and QMA over it and the rather large payout he received. 

In VMX I have seen one guy lose a testicle and many here know George McKenzie who broke an ankle after the finish line one time at Veresdale. 

TM BILL

« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2011, 02:08:43 pm »
Injuries broken both lower legs , collar bones , lower arms and a number of Concussions  :)

That means close to nothing in a courtroom.

Track designers/organizers have a responsibility to ensure that a track can be negotiated with reasonable skill and safety - if you put a 50 meter high double in a track there is no doubt some 'fearless' riders will attempt it so you don't do it. Often riders do not ride to their limits, they often don't know their own limits hence you have to plan around them.
[/quote]

Are you stating the facts or is this what you believe ? if its the former then im not supprised just dissolusioned and dissapointed in the PC Nanna state that we allow ourselves to live in today .
If its the latter then i feel for you .

Im so sick of the old we must make the tracks Nanna proof in case somone breaks a finger nail or suffers a broken heart  ::) I believe the majority of ADULT motorsport competitors know the risk and thats part of the attraction in what we do . Wev'e all suffered injuries and know some poor bastard whos had a serious one or even fatal accident while riding or racing . Anyone iv'e spoken to over the years who have sadly had life changing accidents have all said they have no regrets and basicly shit happens . I have lost more mates to evil illnesses and desperation than to riding accidents and at my age i would rather go doing somthing i love than to some poxy sickness. If its all to much take up play station , but leave the tracks alone, sure there can be big doubles etc but if you aint happy single them i do  ;)
Claiming clubs have a duty to make tracks safe is all very well but whats safe  ??? what you consider safe and what i consider safe are probably very different and different to the next bloke  :o If you dont like the look of a track dont ride it  ;)

Its typical of todays society to always look to blame somone else for everything that goes pearshaped  ::) What do Supercross and crossing the road have in common  ???

It all about timing  ;)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 02:10:28 pm by TM BILL »

cheapracer

« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2011, 02:49:04 pm »

Claiming clubs have a duty to make tracks safe is all very well but whats safe  ??? what you consider safe and what i consider safe are probably very different and different to the next bloke  :o If you dont like the look of a track dont ride it  ;)

Saying don't ride it if you don't like it is way to simplistic, people crash/lose control of bikes all the time from the worst to the best riders non exclusive and you have to consider what may eventuate when those people lose control. People who lay out tracks take those things into consideration and use foresight these days and then it's approved by a MA Steward.

Gone are the days of fence posts with a few tyres thrown over them on the edge of the track (not to mention the barbed wire in between) etc.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2011, 03:18:08 pm »
"On the positive side it was a clean break and doctors have gone in through the inside of my cheek and put a plate in. It's going to be a bit awkward for the next few days but I've been through so much in the last few years I'm sure I'll get over this one pretty quickly," Townley explained.

Ben and the boys always shock me with how much punishment they can take and shrug it off. Also the attitude of the pro riders is pretty much that they are going to break a few things along the way and it is a cost of doing business.

My mate got tackled hard in the chest during a Rugby game when he was 20, killed him stone dead, so any sport has its risks i suppose/
formerly Marc.com

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2011, 03:28:55 pm »
Here are the official stats on what is the most dangerous sport, based on my observations of Rugby, MX is much safer.

According to the Medibank Private Safe Sports Report 2006, the top 10 most injury-prone sports (based on patient presentations to Australian hospital emergency departments and general medical practices) are:
1. Australian Rules Football
2. Basketball
3. Netball
4. Running
5. Tennis
6. Cricket
7. Soccer
8. Aerobics
9. Rugby League
10. Rugby Union
formerly Marc.com

TM BILL

« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2011, 04:38:44 pm »

Gone are the days of fence posts with a few tyres thrown over them on the edge of the track (not to mention the barbed wire in between) etc.

WHY  ::)

Offline lukeb1961

• Legend
  • PE175N, RM80B, JR50C
    • View Profile
    • PE175N
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2011, 05:38:16 pm »
My mate got tackled hard in the chest during a Rugby game when he was 20, killed him stone dead, so any sport has its risks i suppose/
Yep. My next-door-neighbour was killed in a Rugby scrum with a broken neck. Only 22 also.

Stankflapper

« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2011, 06:44:47 pm »
FB - I don't have to worry about my testys - coz after reading this they are now two little lumps hiding behind my ears!  Rossco

;D NOW that is FUNNY! ;D

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2011, 06:47:36 pm »
Yep. My next-door-neighbour was killed in a Rugby scrum with a broken neck. Only 22 also.
[/quote]

Not to mention the ones that end up in wheel chairs, players got bigger and faster a bit like MX bikes and the cost of getting it wrong got higher.

I think on a modern 450 4 stroke the speed is much more accessable by more riders, the bikes are more tractable than the old 2 stroke hammers and transmit power into forward movement much easier. Then you need a track with the obstacles further back, or you educate hyped up 20 years olds to back off  ::)
formerly Marc.com