Author Topic: Worst MX Injurys  (Read 12367 times)

Offline fatboyracing

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Worst MX Injurys
« on: March 16, 2010, 09:09:05 pm »
Hi All,
Just back from Clerk of the Course duties over the weekend at Penguin MX Track round 1 of the Tasmanian Championship ( Modern bikes) Boy we had some bad accidents and even worse injuries.We had some simple ones like broken teeth and hole in the tongue from handle bars hitting after loosing control going through the whoops.
We had one broken wrist which seemed like a very easy get off.
We had a guy who broke his tiber and fibular and the bones were poking through the skin
We had a guy with a very twisted knee
We had a broken collar bone and possible back injury
Sunday afternoon we had the worst crash I have seen at mx ever, about 3 mts from were I was standing and there was only two bikes involved. A fast rider tried to pass a slower rider and at the very time they got side by side their foot pegs got hooked and the slower rider was shot off at a hell of a speed catapulting him and his bike end over end for about 20mts leaving the rider with the worst injuries I have ever seen at mx. His shoulder was broken and dislocated that badly that it looked like it was nearly off the hole arm was a strange blue colour and had a graze right down. He also had a leg that was broken so badly that it was at right angles to the rest of his leg and he couldnt feel his arm or upper back. It was terrible it took the ambos one and three quarter hours to get him in a state were they could move him.
We just had a very bad two days nothing was wrong with the track it was great and the weather was good also just the first race for the year and maybe to the riders were just tring way to hard.
I hope that all the riders make a full recovery and we dont have another accident all year

Cheers
Fatboy

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
Re: Worst MX Injurys
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 09:16:49 pm »
Shit, that has put me off somewhat. i think i just lost my nerve to enter a meet at months end

scary shit there.
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline fatboyracing

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 09:24:11 pm »
Dont be too put off Hoony there was a fair bit of unluckyness involved in a few of those accidents and they were modern bikes and going around alot faster then our old vintage bikes can go.

Fatboy

Offline MX?

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Classic Bike Forum
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 09:29:55 pm »
Geez, that fills me with confidence for the next meet. ;D
Still haven't got my knee doing what it should since last time.....I think knee guards are now on the list of must haves. ::)

TT

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 09:34:35 pm »
Pretty yucky stuff, fatboy. But as you rightly said, it's pretty uncommon to see injuries like that at an MX event.
The only 2 bad ones I've personally had to deal with were both in desert racing where the speeds are generally much higher.
One guy very sadly died on the spot and the other "just" had his femur poking out through his pants with red sand stuck to the end of it.  :-\
In both cases I dealt with it at the time, but definitely rode even slower than normal for the rest of the day...............

Best wishes to those injured for a quick and full recovery.

Hoony and MX?: when you get a sniff of the guy in front of you next race day, I'm sure the last thing you'll be thinking of is this thread!  :D
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 09:36:25 pm by Tony T »

Offline jerry

• Legend
  • Beware the work ethic of the evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 09:54:26 pm »
Im 52 now just back riding in last 6 months. My first go back in the mid 70's lasted about 18 months before I retired hurt with believe it or not 19 left shoulder dislocations. Fast forward to 3 years ago and I got ability mixed up with ambition riding my mountain bike and shattered my right collarbone (worse thing was Im a paramedic and a workmate picked me up in the ambulance and put shit on me all the way to hospital!) As a consequence I have 125mm Titanium screw and a bone graft holding it all together. You wouldn't read about it but my son was racing his mountain bike in the US on the same day and he hit a tree and dislocated his shoulder! Anyway there's no fool like an old fool and I hopefully will have the old Bulty sorted and am looking forward to the VCM races down here in sunny Victoria. Jerry

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 11:36:23 am »
Not a nice one either  :'(  :'(    :-X

"I was completing my last 30 minutes moto for the day when I got cross rutted on one of the jumps and went down hard, hitting my jaw on the crossbar of the handlebars," Townley said.

"On the positive side it was a clean break and doctors have gone in through the inside of my cheek and put a plate in. It's going to be a bit awkward for the next few days but I've been through so much in the last few years I'm sure I'll get over this one pretty quickly," Townley explained.
Best is in the West !!

TooFastTim

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 01:44:12 pm »
they were modern bikes and going around alot faster then our old vintage bikes can go.

With respect (you were there) but most modern MX laps are slowed down by HUGE jumps and GIGANTIC whoops  ;D.

But seriously VMX tracks are a lot smoother and average speeds are quite high in relation to modern MX.

Doggy Digger

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 02:50:57 pm »
"But seriously VMX tracks are a lot smoother and average speeds are quite high"

Not when I'm ridin' 'em

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 03:02:06 pm »
they were modern bikes and going around alot faster then our old vintage bikes can go.

With respect (you were there) but most modern MX laps are slowed down by HUGE jumps and GIGANTIC whoops  ;D. SX ??
quote]
Put a pre75/85 rider/bike and a 2011 modern rider/bike on the same track here in the south west and Ill eat my hat if that modern doesnt come around 1/2 lap in front...
Modern bikes are just as dangerous if not more and when you come down hard off a 450 2011 you come down hard.
Has anyone got any stats on MX injuries or speed ??
cheers
Best is in the West !!

Offline chrisdespo

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 03:16:31 pm »
may be but modern bikes are sure as hell quicker and i dont think that anyone realy thinks about the end result much anymore you only have to look at the way people abuse the machines these days. I know i sound like an old fart but smoking tyres and holding engines on the rev limiter is no way to treat a loved one. and scars and broken bones are the thing that makes you a bigger man. NOT
When in DOUBT GAS IT!!!

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 03:36:59 pm »
I might be wrong, but one thing I find curious is the lack of grading nowadays. Our local track seems to have just one class for everyone per capacity class - Lites, Opens, All Powers. I simply don't race there anymore because I am so much slower than a fast guy that the speed differential is huge. Luckily it seems they are going to a Pro/Clubman class structure this year. That's got to be an improvement.

But regardless, a modern 450 gathers speed very quickly and I think the modern tracks don't reward less than good skills - big whoops and big jumps are tough on people who are average riders but with a 450 under them.

TooFastTim

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2011, 03:44:33 pm »
Put a pre75/85 rider/bike and a 2011 modern rider/bike on the same track here in the south west and Ill eat my hat if that modern doesnt come around 1/2 lap in front...

I'm not disputing that but put a good rider on a VMX bike, say a 490 Maico, and put him round a "proper" VMX lap and I reckon his average speed would be higher than the same rider on a modern bike on a modern circuit.

suzuki43

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2011, 03:44:59 pm »
Ouch!
I just got ten miles per hour faster in reverse!

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2011, 03:56:57 pm »

I'm not disputing that but put a good rider on a VMX bike, say a 490 Maico, and put him round a "proper" VMX lap and I reckon his average speed would be higher than the same rider on a modern bike on a modern circuit.

different tracks -- we'll have to set it up on skype oneday ;D 
cheers A
Best is in the West !!