Author Topic: I'll eat my words.....  (Read 1570 times)

mx250

I'll eat my words.....
« on: December 04, 2007, 08:50:37 pm »
....about the HD Big Twin and MX.

Must-See Video: Motocrossing on a Harley

http://www.vitalmx.com/features/Must-See-Video-Motocrossing-on-a-Harley%2C2282

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: I'll eat my words.....
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 12:12:13 pm »
In the 30's, 40'2 and 50's they used to race the rigid framed big twins off road.  Harley's XR750 dominated flat track racing in the US for years.  Because of the uneven way the motors fire is seems to make it perfect for sliding in the dirt.  Having ridden Harleys for 30 years I can attest to how good they slide in the dirt.  The rigid frames are the best, but even the new ones go pretty good sideways on the dirt.  Fatboy and Heritage would be the pick if you wanted to hit the footy oval on a dewy morning.

Next time you pass a Harley dealership drop in and ask for a test slide.. err..I mean ride.

Re: I'll eat my words.....
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 09:15:38 am »
I'm reading 'One More Good Run', the story of that mad amazing Kiwi Burt Munro of 'Worlds Fastest Indian' fame - he was one cool dude!  Didn't know that he was a grasstrack fiend before went for speed.  He pioneered sliding round corners - noone else thought you could/should do that before him in the 40s and 50s! He was one wild racer as a result - would regularly take out a bunch of others going round corners with him.  And the bikes of the era were all ex road harleys, indians and dozens of different brands of brit bikes.  Gotta use the tools of the day if thats all there is!!