Author Topic: Cheney tank problem.  (Read 10417 times)

firko

Cheney tank problem.
« on: March 14, 2010, 06:01:57 pm »
I'm going to anodize my Cheney tank but before I do I have to remove the Monza fuel cap. I had a quick squiz at it and couldn't figure out how it comes off without damaging my precious tank. Does any of the brains trust have any clues on how to get it off. There's a few beers in it for the punter whose idea works best!

Offline brent j

• Legend
  • Darwin, NT. Suzuki tragic, RL250M TS90MX PE250B
    • View Profile
Re: Cheney tank problem.
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 07:08:36 pm »
Could that be a male threaded piece welded to the tank and the cap unscrews? Try copious amounts of ATF and Acetone (50-50 mix) as an anti sieze, I've found it to work well.
or
Try removing the roll pins for the cap and latch, maybe you can then see something underneath.

Brent
The older I get, the faster I was

DR

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 07:26:18 pm »
not quite the same but it maybe similar Mark..http://www.newbonneville.com/monza.pdf

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 07:33:04 pm »
well found Doc, looks like the go.
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 07:33:14 pm »
i recon the cap base has been welded in before the tank was completed/ can we see the tank from other angles

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 07:44:42 pm »
the Poms do things different  ::)  I'm with Paul,I reckon its been forged on there before the tank was sealed up from under neither...maybe just anodize the cap again too. :)

Interesting find Doc.

http://www.vintagebike.co.uk/Spares/Fuel/Filler%20Caps/Filler%20Caps.htm
cheers
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 08:12:35 pm by VMX247 »
Best is in the West !!

mx250

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 07:45:34 pm »
Can't you mask off with anodising?

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 09:51:54 pm »
If that’s the tank I repaired a while back then I'm not sure I would recommend anodizing for it.
Anodizing is a sort of chemical reaction against the alloy so different grades of alloy give different shades of anodizing.
I have anodized my own swingarms without problems but I once anodized a Suzuki arm and even though I used the same filler rods that I use for my own swingarms, all the gouges that I had filled up showed up as blotch marks in the anodizing.

I think I may have filled up some gouge marks on your tank, can’t remember exactly but I do remember that the dent at the front top was hard to get to so I had to resort to “bogging” it up with filler rod. This usually works out fine as it will polish up okay but I think this will show up in the anodizing.

I think it’s the red look your after?
Maybe talk to a spray painter about putting some red tinge in some clear coat?
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

oldfart

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2010, 10:05:16 pm »
Geoff, 100% correct . Had my swing arm holes filled , then re anodized whih  showed up repairs ( looked shit house ) .  Speak with your plater and  advise that you have had some rerpairs and that you don't want them to bleed thru .        I ended up with a flash coating.

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010, 10:19:58 pm »
yeah i also highly advise not to annodize something old thats had weld repairs.

you can get paints that look like annodizing. Either candy apple colours or see though colours straight onto aluminium.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

firko

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2010, 10:42:25 pm »
 Good thoughts fellas. I'd been swept up in the red mist after seeing the Cheney Triumph shown below and totally overlooked the differing alloys used in the repairs and how they'd react differently to anodizing. You did such a good job repairing the tank Geoff that it'd be a crying shame to hide your work with paint. I could have saved a lot of trouble by just bogging up the dents and throwing a coat of silver basecoat/candy apple red over it. Instead, I'll now paint my spare fibreglass B44 replica tank candy apple red and keep the original in its polished glory. That way I can vary the look of the bike to suit the situation. I don't want to ruin the alloy tank again so I was going to use the glass tank for racing anyway. Walter, Red (or blue) anodizing is period for the Cheney but I know what you mean.

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2010, 10:49:39 pm »
The red does look nice. That must be a pretty loud bike with pipes like that.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline floberts

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2010, 11:34:19 pm »
The red does look nice. That must be a pretty loud bike with pipes like that.

Exactly what I was thinking, on both points!
Ben

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2010, 11:54:20 pm »
http://ozvmx.com/community/index.php?topic=9699.0

or a two tone, all very sweet  8)
cheers
Best is in the West !!

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2010, 12:22:52 am »
Hi Firko, do you still want it removed? If so, it is an absolute “piece of cake” for me to do that in front of you.  Cheers, Mick.
PS; I haven't had a beer since Bruce's Farwell, so I would enjoy a cold one Too.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 12:43:20 am by MICK-DE »
"light weight, and it works great"  :)