Author Topic: How Heavy is the Monty Clutch Pull?  (Read 5124 times)

mx250

How Heavy is the Monty Clutch Pull?
« on: February 21, 2010, 07:10:17 pm »
How Heavy is the Monty Clutch Pull?  I have never ridden one and currently working on one. The clutch pulls in but feels an incredible effort :(. Tried Jap, Magura and Amal clutch perch/levers to see if there is any different. There is some difference with a descending order of Jap, Magura and Amal, but it is marginal and still stupidly heavy.

There might be improvement with the cable routing but at best it would be slight.

Any help, suggestions or comments  :-*.

All Things 414

Re: How Heavy is the Monty Clutch Pull?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 07:13:03 pm »
If everything is right they should be very light. All of mine are lighter than the 465.

mx250

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 07:17:12 pm »
If everything is right they should be very light. All of mine are lighter than the 465.
Hmmmmmmmm.

That's good news - bad news ::).

Offline hitatreeonce

• A-Grade
  • rather be an old fart than a young dickhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 09:27:52 pm »
MMMM all my montys have a man clutch even the 49cc cota! Its a lot lighter when the engine is running tho, if you work out how to fix it dont tell anyone but me and we'll make a squillion!

mx250

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 09:49:47 pm »
MMMM all my montys have a man clutch even the 49cc cota! Its a lot lighter when the engine is running tho, if you work out how to fix it dont tell anyone but me and we'll make a squillion!
So, I wait and try with the engine running?

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 10:27:11 pm by evo550 »

montynut

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 10:24:05 pm »
What type of cable do you have fitted? The cable routing is critical along with the set up of the lower adjustment angle. Have you removed, cleaned / polished the clutch actuator where it passes through the clutch cover? They are not the lightest clutch but fortunately only used once per race. They never feel right if you have anything but the Amal levers assembly.

mx250

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 10:58:33 pm »
What condition is the clutch basket in?
Sometimes the "fingers" get notched and this can prevent the plates seperating easy.
Does the clutch drag if you put it in gear while it's running.
This bike is new to me. I'm doing the initial 'investigation' to see what I have. The preliminary report is that it seems that Iver had a convention of sexy fingered amateurs working on the bike over a long period ::). My question was to see if I could find out what I'm dealing with - do I have to pull it apart? So the answer is I don't know the condition of the basket.

What type of cable do you have fitted? The cable routing is critical along with the set up of the lower adjustment angle. Have you removed, cleaned / polished the clutch actuator where it passes through the clutch cover? They are not the lightest clutch but fortunately only used once per race. They never feel right if you have anything but the Amal levers assembly.
Ditto the above.

The cable doesn't look the most substantial clutch cable I've seen but is not kinked or damaged and as a good clean sweep to the clutch arm - I probably wouldn't ride with the cable as is to catch on every passing branch.

Doesn't look like its gunna be an easy fix. Sounds like a pull down and some detail attention.

All Things 414

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 06:35:15 am »
There's not a lot that can go wrong with it. And the baskets don't seem to wear either. I've never had to file any of the fingers on a basket :-\. All I make sure of is to oil the buggery out of the cables and make sure I run the Amal levers (and I grease the pivots after every race).
They do feel lighter with the motor running but as I say, mine feel very light when all is quiet.....

Offline 414VG

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 07:50:46 am »
The clutch pull does vary for no apparent reason on my Monts. Can only put it down to differing levels of wear on the clutch springs. Assuming the cables are all of a similar standard. 

Sandy.

mx250

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2010, 01:07:59 pm »
I tried it with a Magura pivot and lever. The result..... :o

I have since hooked up the Amal lever and it makes the difference 8). It's workable but still heavy (maybe I'm just a spoilt woosy jap bike rider :P).

There are some obvious improvements I could make. I've made differences with cable routing but I would like to replace the cable. The nipples on the current cable don't exactly fit the holes on either the Amal lever or the actuating lever. I would also like to get a teflon lined cable.

Does anyone know;
1/ if a Teflon lined cable will make a noticeable difference
2/ if there is an 'off the shelf' teflon lined monty cable available.
3/ does anyone make up Teflon lined cables 'to order'.

All Things 414

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2010, 01:57:00 pm »
I tried it with a Magura pivot and lever. The result..... :o

Can't understand why something in as good a condition as that lever perch would have let go..... ::)
If the rest of the clutch system is in as good as condition as that, well then maybe there's your problem. They're a very basic clutch. Primitive.
I doubt it's anything to do with springs. My race bike has got new heavy duty springs in it and it's still an easy pull. Try pulling the clutch actuating arm out of the clutch case and see if it's bent or something weird like that. It can only be something really obvious for it to be doing that.
All five of my bikes just have standard, run of the mill cables and Amal levers and they're an easy pull.

firko

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2010, 02:32:43 pm »
Graeme..I know didley squat about Montesas but know enough about bikes in general to know that something's drastically wrong to do that kind of damage to a perch. Like my learned colleague has noted, that's a pretty ordinary piece of equipment you broke, are you certain it's a genuine Magura perch? It looks like cast jobby to me, going by the appearance of the metal in the crack, and it looks like it's been on the bottom of Sydney Harbour since 1978. If the cable is in the same condition I think we've identified your problem.

mx250

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2010, 06:19:27 pm »
Graeme..I know didley squat about Montesas but know enough about bikes in general to know that something's drastically wrong to do that kind of damage to a perch. Like my learned colleague has noted, that's a pretty ordinary piece of equipment you broke, are you certain it's a genuine Magura perch? It looks like cast jobby to me, going by the appearance of the metal in the crack, and it looks like it's been on the bottom of Sydney Harbour since 1978. If the cable is in the same condition I think we've identified your problem.

It's a Magura original. The crack in the metal is all new with no staining - suggest to me it snapped. The outside of the finish was weathered but I can't see why that would effect it in this application. No other obvious damage other than it was old  ::).

The cable moves freely and works the clutch effectively when used with the Amal lever, so I don't think it was the prob.

I can't pick a dramatic visual difference between the two perchs but there is obviously a difference in the leverage ratios. I was working the clutch with all my strength of my right hand when it snapped. It might have been cause by grunge stiction along the interface of the cases and the clutch activation arm shaft. Having broken the stiction the Amal lever might now be working the clutch effectively. That may have been the sequences but the bike and Montesa's are new to me and I not certain.

The Amal is working the clutch but still an effort. I think the prob is with the cable (too thin - sponginess/give), the nipples not fitting correctly and moving smoothly, and lubing/cleaning the shaft to cases surface.

mx250

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2010, 06:29:13 pm »
Can't understand why something in as good a condition as that lever perch would have let go..... ::)
If the rest of the clutch system is in as good as condition as that, well then maybe there's your problem. They're a very basic clutch. Primitive.
I doubt it's anything to do with springs. My race bike has got new heavy duty springs in it and it's still an easy pull. Try pulling the clutch actuating arm out of the clutch case and see if it's bent or something weird like that. It can only be something really obvious for it to be doing that.
All five of my bikes just have standard, run of the mill cables and Amal levers and they're an easy pull.

Thanks Ross. As you see above there is a fair variation in the description of the effort required. I think the Amal has made a big difference and probably close to acceptable. But I think there can be improvements made along the lines I indicated.

The current cable looks like a bogey - 6mm with incorrectly fitting nipples. The Amal handlebar adjuster has a 8mm opening. I'll look around for another cable, preferable teflon lined - I think this clutch will need all the help it can get  ;D.