Author Topic: New joiner in Hobart.  (Read 6471 times)

Offline Hakans beer stop

• Novice
    • View Profile
New joiner in Hobart.
« on: February 11, 2010, 11:59:06 am »

Hello VMX/Twinshock/Evo, fans/riders,

Let me introduce myself. My name is Nathan and I’m a fan/rider myself.
I was resident in the UK until Dec 08, and I am now resident in Hobart, Tasmania (via Canberra).
I started racing at the age of 21 on a YZ465 (in at the deep end after my DT175). The first track I raced at was Canada Heights in Kent, a Brtitish Championship track. (in at the deep end again!).

Currently I do  not have any form of motorcycle, let alone have one for racing, but I will be rectifying that as soon as I can.
I do have motorbikes for racing Twinshock and Evo: 1974 Yamaha MX250. 1980 Cagiva MXR250. Evo: 1984 Suzuki RM500. Suzuki 1988 RM250 (I’ve had from new). 1989 Honda CR250. 1990 Suzuki RM250. Also 1980 Yamaha TY175(road reg), 1979 Kawasaki KH250(road reg) & 1997 Suzuki DR350(road reg).
However, there is one slight problem with all of these bikes . . . . . they’re still in the UK. So I’d like to get them out to me as soon as possible.

I’ve raced (make that "ridden") at Farleigh Castle in 2006 on the 74 Yam MX250, and 2007 on the 1980 Cagiva MXR250 (blew the clutch up!), and had a damn good time.

After that, getting organised for my relocation to Aus took up a lot of my time, and I haven’t been out racing since.
Incidentally, I’m a back of the pack wobbler (but without the likes of me, the “stars” would have no one to finish in front of!).

Back in November I went to the Ross Motorcycle Rally in Tassie and meet some folks (Andrew Madziara, Ian & Margaret Cameron & Ian Hughes) from the Launceston MX and Scramble Club.
I was thinking that once I see their meeting calendar for 2010, I might try and go to a meeting of theirs and see if I can be of use helping out, as I won't be riding.

So if there are any Twinshock/Evo fans in Hobart, drop me a line and maybe I can be of help on race day.
I also enoy trailriding and have joined the DSMRA (in anticipation of getting a Trailie). So if there are any other members in Hobart I'd be interested in meeting up with them.

Nathan (HBS: Hakan's beer stop.)

PS: My forum name is taken from one of my favourite moment in mx history, when Hakan Carlqvist stopped on the last lap of the 1988 Belgium 500gp at Namur, skulled a bottle of beer by the trackside and went on to win the race. Classic!!
PPS: Thanks to Graeme the administrator for helping me set up my login.

Offline Tex

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: New joiner in Hobart.
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 12:47:15 pm »
Welcome aboard Nathan!

Nice collection of bikes you have back in Blighty.

Tex
(A fellow "back of the pack wobbler")

Offline Hakans beer stop

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 01:37:48 pm »
Welcome aboard Nathan!

Nice collection of bikes you have back in Blighty.

Tex
(A fellow "back of the pack wobbler")

Thanks Tex, I just wish the bikes were here . . . .

firko

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 04:47:21 pm »
Welcome aboard matey. Big Shane should look after you down there in Tassie. It won't be long before he sees your post.
He's a good bloke. [email protected]

Offline Hakans beer stop

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 05:47:13 pm »
Welcome aboard matey. Big Shane should look after you down there in Tassie. It won't be long before he sees your post.
He's a good bloke. [email protected]

Cheers Firko. I've had a email chat with Shane. I'm going ask him for the clubs race dates for 2010.

Offline pirie593

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 05:52:15 pm »
Hawkan BS,  welcome.

Being from the twin-shock group in the UK, you may be able to help us out.  A group of us are going over to Farleigh Castle in September to ride, and would like to arrange some bikes over there to lease/hire for the week (to include a practice somewhere).

Do you have any contacts within the twin-shock fraternity who would be happy to lease out their bikes and become "honorary aussies" for the FC event?

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 07:05:06 pm »
Welcome Hakan Carlqvist fan... 8)
If you have a bit of spare time in June,and by then it will be a long wait between rides  ::)  :'(  ,I believe CD7 comes highly recommended.
For all for all things pre 85..there's no fluff,no BS  :-X  ,no mega bucks  :-*  ,no titanium crap  :o ,no interviews with tattooed punks with nose rings  :-\  ,no back flips and no wasted space.
In other words its all VMX. 8)
If you need a ride you can test ride the latest modern Suzuki Dirt Bike  ;D

http://www.vmxmag.com.au/03_news_events/vmx_classic_dirt_7.html
Best is in the West !!

Offline fatboyracing

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 07:10:48 pm »
Hi,
What a great collection of bikes. Firko is right it didnt take me long to see your post I am sure I spoke to you on the phone a while back, but welcome to Tassie again and our club has its first race meeting in 2 weeks on the 21st of Feb at Santarena Park Bridport. On the NE Coast of Tassie at our MX track so if you would like to come for a drive up north you could meet the guys and perhalps even help out on the day , Drop me a line [email protected] and I will fill you in on other events coming up.

Cheers
Fatboy

Offline MX?

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Classic Bike Forum
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 07:54:25 pm »
G'day Nathan,
Welcome from another "back of pack wobbler"...... hell, it's a dirty job, but someone has to do it!
Only run at Santareena once myself.....but it's a great track. Hope to see you there sometime.

Offline Hakans beer stop

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2010, 11:46:24 am »
Welcome Hakan Carlqvist fan... 8)
If you have a bit of spare time in June,and by then it will be a long wait between rides  ::)  :'(  ,I believe CD7 comes highly recommended.
For all for all things pre 85..there's no fluff,no BS  :-X  ,no mega bucks  :-*  ,no titanium crap  :o ,no interviews with tattooed punks with nose rings  :-\  ,no back flips and no wasted space.
In other words its all VMX. 8)
If you need a ride you can test ride the latest modern Suzuki Dirt Bike  ;D

http://www.vmxmag.com.au/03_news_events/vmx_classic_dirt_7.html

Hi VMX247,

The Classic Dirt event does appeal after reading about the last one in VMX.
Hmmm, I can feel a flights/hire car/tent/riding gear plan starting to hatch!  :)

Offline Hakans beer stop

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2010, 11:51:05 am »
G'day Nathan,
Welcome from another "back of pack wobbler"...... hell, it's a dirty job, but someone has to do it!
Only run at Santareena once myself.....but it's a great track. Hope to see you there sometime.

Cheers MX?,
I'll look forward to us wobblers having a ding-dong battle for 31st place!

Nathan (HBS)

Offline Hakans beer stop

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2010, 11:56:49 am »
Hi,
What a great collection of bikes. Firko is right it didnt take me long to see your post I am sure I spoke to you on the phone a while back, but welcome to Tassie again and our club has its first race meeting in 2 weeks on the 21st of Feb at Santarena Park Bridport. On the NE Coast of Tassie at our MX track so if you would like to come for a drive up north you could meet the guys and perhalps even help out on the day , Drop me a line [email protected] and I will fill you in on other events coming up.

Cheers
Fatboy

Hi Shane,

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I can't make the 21st Feb as I'll be on my way back from seeing AC/DC in Sydney.
But I would be interested in coming along to another meeting. So I'll send you an email to the address you have given above and I can see the other meetings and put a date in my diary.

Cheers,
Nathan (HBS)

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2010, 12:57:19 pm »

Hi Shane,

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I can't make the 21st Feb as I'll be on my way back from seeing AC/DC in Sydney.

Cheers,
Nathan (HBS)

[/quote]
Becoming an Aussie already, AC/DC first then riding, love it anjoy real aussie music and riding.  From a perenial rear wobbler and total tossa!! from West Aussie.  get yourself over here with Shane in August
1973 Rickman Zundapp Metisse, to rebuild
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

Offline Hakans beer stop

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2010, 01:28:05 pm »

Hi Shane,

Cheers,
Nathan (HBS)

Becoming an Aussie already, AC/DC first then riding, love it anjoy real aussie music and riding.  From a perenial rear wobbler and total tossa!! from West Aussie.  get yourself over here with Shane in August
[/quote]

Hi Tossa,

Yeah, my mate in Sydney says it's not taking me long to go "troppo" (Dunlop Volleys, Cold Chisel & the V8's at Sydney, Holden Commodore, Boags, Cascades etc). And I kid you not, as I look directly above my desk, there is a Huntsman spider the size of my outsteched hand just waiting to drop onto me!!  :D
Mind you, everyone else in the office just tells that "that's a tiddler mate!".

Haven't been to WA so far. Would like to take a look in the near future.

Nathan (HBS)

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2010, 01:43:18 pm »
Lying var mites "its not a tiddler"..  ;)  ;D   
We flew to Adelaide for the Sidecar Spectacular in 07 and one decide to hitch a ride on the hire car we had picked up...No one volunteered to get out and refuel at the bowser--- this GIGANTIC creature sat on the windscreen and kept brave sidecar fanatics at bay.. :D
ps don't tell anyone this shit scared swinger spider story.  ;D
cheers from small spider country, west oz  8)
Best is in the West !!