Author Topic: Name the Event.  (Read 3051 times)

mx250

Name the Event.
« on: February 06, 2010, 08:36:52 am »

Were you there, I was 8). (Not my pixies though; unashamedly stolen from DBW ::))

firko

Re: Name the Event.
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 12:09:13 pm »
Cessnock ISDE 1992? I was there doing coverage for ADB.

Offline Husk72

• B-Grade
  • Attitude? What effing attitude?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 12:36:33 pm »
1992? ???
Judging by the vehicles and attire,I'd reckon it'd be seventies era.
Did you do a typo,Mark?

Cheers,Mark.
I used to drink a lot.
I still do,but I used to,too.

firko

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 02:14:21 pm »
Mmmm! On second thought you're right about the cars and general 70s vibe of the photos. I still think it's Cessnock but what about it being the 1976 2SM Forrest 300. If it is,  Malcolm Smith would be amongst the riders parading down Maitland st.

mx250

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 04:36:07 pm »
Go west young man, go west ;D.

And go back a few years as well ;).

Probably the first big enduro event. IIRC, only run 2 years :-\.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 06:06:04 pm »
I want to say Orange, but can't justify why I think it.

Was also wondering about Oberon, but Oberon's main street has never been that busy...  :P
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

firko

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 06:32:01 pm »
1975 or 1976 Qantastic 2 day enduro...Orange although it doesn't look like Orange to me. I guess 1976 was a long time ago and I suppose things have changed a lot.

Offline YUMASTEPSIDE

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 08:06:54 pm »
.........the cook reckons its Orange ( local girl ), so it'd be the Orange two day.

Roger

mx250

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2010, 10:44:43 pm »
1975 or 1976 Qantastic 2 day enduro...Orange although it doesn't look like Orange to me. I guess 1976 was a long time ago and I suppose things have changed a lot.
We have a winner (along with Rodge's cook/local girl ;D). I pretty sure the photo has been taken facing west in the main street with the photographer at the park in the CBD of Orange.

I took one look at the pixie Mark and I immediately thought 'Qantastic'. But when you said Cessnock it made me think and doubt it. There are similarities in both the main street and the showgrounds. But Orange it is. 

IIRC it's the 1976 Qantastic. I think the Qantastic only run 76 and 77. What a great event. I finished, both years, but jeeze I was snookered. I remember doing some looong down hill up around Mt Canobolas on day two and my thighs were stuffed - I couldn't stand up on the pegs to save myself :P.  Some how I got home 'on time'. I've done some tough enduros; stupid long uphill push/rides up around Taree, pushing across acres of swamp at the Oberon Apex enduro but the Qantrastic snotted me.

Great enduros, great memories. One of my memories is coming flogging over a hill to a three way intersection at the base of a gully. At the same moment a bike came screaming down each of the other roads of the intersection with all of us coming to a screeching dusty halt in the middle of the intersection at the same moment. A quick conflab with much gesturing and flailing of arms and pointing.  We each reckon we had the navigation right and we each set off in different directions each swearing that we were right. All quite comical at the time and even now. I don't know what happen to the others but I arrived at the check point on time  ;D.

One of the others riders was Winston Stokes on his Sachs Hercules (I think, Sachs something with it earls forks ;)). Winston was a pioneer of Enduros having organised the first Cessnock 4 Day. A great guy that welcomed me and my Crew Chief Dad into the enduro world by sharing a beer, some fire and lots of info and encouragement  on the night before of the first Cessnock 4 Day. That was the last time I meet Winston. Someone might know better but I believe he died a few years later. I'm not certain of the details.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 01:43:37 am »
That was the last time I meet Winston. Someone might know better but I believe he died a few years later. I'm not certain of the details.

FWIW, he was pictured in his ads in ADB in 1982.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.