Author Topic: TYRE PRESSURE GUAGE  (Read 5433 times)

Offline jerry

• Legend
  • Beware the work ethic of the evil
    • View Profile
TYRE PRESSURE GUAGE
« on: February 03, 2010, 11:19:25 am »
Can someone advise a quality brand that is accurate for low pressures? Thanks Jerry

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
Re: TYRE PRESSURE GUAGE
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 11:45:01 am »
Jerry. Bike shops that sell a lot of agi 4 wheelers usually have' low pressure only gauges' for the fat tyres. The pen/needle type are good to 16psi  (110.31611648 kilopascals) at under $20 . Jaycar electronics shops have analogue/digital  low pressure gauges too. Japanese Mitimoto have a quality digital pressure gauge at around $950 . Cheers Tim754
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 11:51:35 am by Tim754 »
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 12:29:19 pm »
All tyre pressure gauges are inaccurate, in my experience.

Most rally guys carry gauges in their cars. We compared a few of them before the (delayed) start of a stage once - none of them read the same as each other - most were within a few psi (which is a fair bit, in percentage terms), and a couple were several PSI out. Interestingly, the newest gauge was also a big dollar one, and it was clearly miles from accurate...
There was a lot of talk about which gauge was the most accurate, but we'd all learned to compensate for our own gauges - it certainly explained why two blokes running the same tyres on similar cars were most happy running apparently very different tyre pressures.

So... my take on it is to buy a quality gauge and stick with it - and recognise that the numbers only strictly relate to your gauge.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 03:44:37 pm »
Agreed, I've never found two gauges that agree. I just set anything I have to 12lb front/14lb rear with whatever gauge I have and go ridin...

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 04:19:31 pm »
he he!!!  I agree - gauges pretty much no good - I just use the old "how far can I push the tyre in" trick?
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

oldfart

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 04:41:43 pm »
Big W have em in there auto section. Digital auto on & off reads down to 2 psi made by Aunger

Offline jerry

• Legend
  • Beware the work ethic of the evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 06:34:14 pm »
Got myself an Aunger unit at K Mart for $25. Got home in a considerable state of anticipation and entered the Bultaco lair. Pushed the unit opto the valve of Fang the Sang for immediate dissapointment. The piece of crap doesn't work. Checked the batteries, even read the instructions in desparation but to no avail. Back to K Mart for change over tomorrow. Jerry

colmoody

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 06:54:45 pm »
Have  been the bane of my life for as long as I can remember.

Nathan nailed it with his first and last sentence's in his post

TwoTees

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 09:48:49 pm »
This works for me!
I bought myself a cheap air tool set back in the early 80's. It came with the pistol type with a round gauge on top that read from 0 to 140psi. The gauge blew up so I replaced it with a good quality liquid filled 0 - 60psi gauge from a plumbing shop and it works a treat. I always assumed it was accurate until I read this thread. I keep the regulator down to 60 on the compressor because it gets full pressure when pumping up and tops out. I have thought of buying a 0 - 20psi one and making a "gauge only" type which should get even more accurate at low pressures. Its on the "To Do List"

Chris

oldfart

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2010, 05:05:16 pm »
To check your guage, get a piece of pipe and weld a plug at bottom ( or in my case glue a cap on  40mm DWV pipe ) attach a hose fitting to bottom with a short nipple and 90 degree elbow , get a piece of hose 3.5 m long and connect to guage.
Mark your pipe at 1m -2m -3m bottom to top - stand pipe virtical and fill with water .
Hold guage level with bottom ......reading will be 30 kpa.
                                                                                           1m     20 kpa
                                                                                           2m     10 kpa
                                                                                           3m       0

Offline pmc57

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2010, 09:15:30 pm »
Stewy
That sounds very accurate and precise, but it may be a bit akward to carry around the pits.

Got some soluble oil for the coolant tank in your lathe if you want it, FOC of course. Do you want it?

oldfart

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2010, 09:31:37 pm »
Is the pope catholic.                                                                         

Offline pmc57

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2010, 09:37:51 pm »
I've put it aside, will put it in the boot for the BMCC sign-on. Are you going?

oldfart

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2010, 09:44:59 pm »
PM sent