Author Topic: Old school meets new school  (Read 3072 times)

Old school meets new school
« on: November 26, 2007, 08:45:08 pm »
 I went to the last club day for moderns on sunday. I took three bike with me. A Maico 490, '80 CR125 and a CR500'85. At the moment i dont own a modern, 'cause i keep on falling in love with another ol' girl   ::) . Anyway, cr500 for the vet's , and alternate between the other two in the trail bike/ pre '85 class ( very loosely pre '85) . There is a local pro rider which most would know , Nathan Crawford, who i know really well. His eyes lit up when i pushed the big red to scrutineering. He said " i wouldn't mind a ride on that" ,i said " dont let fear get in the way then". No i didn't, just threw that one in! I said too easy ,just say the word! And he did, in the last moto. He was winning all day and when he jumped on the ol' girl he did it justice as he came 4th. Everybody had a laugh about it and i thought it was cool! And Nathan came back with a big smile on his dial.  I also lent it to another youngster who rode it in the pre '85, Matt couldn't stop smiling either! Just thought i'd share that  ;D

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
Re: Old school meets new school
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 08:51:06 pm »
Grouse, any  snaps ?
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline VMX Andrew

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 08:53:48 pm »
i know how nathan feels..ive had a 84 model cr500 in my shed now for a week and every time i walk in there and see her i smile everytime. ;D

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 10:32:25 am »
was that stanmore Brad?
"flat bickie"

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 01:27:16 pm »
i know how nathan feels..ive had a 84 model cr500 in my shed now for a week and every time i walk in there and see her i smile everytime. ;D

thats funny mine winks from under her sheets...........
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 05:53:30 pm »
Yeah mate, at stanmore. Soory Hoony no pic's. I always forget the camera  ::)

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 06:21:42 pm »
OK, here's an attempt to load a photo - I won't know if it worked until I press 'post'...
Here's a shot from Stanmore last Sunday; not  vintage - but the crash & burn is a classic!

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 09:54:58 pm »
Wombat, Is that the jump before coming back onto the start straight, I've seen some doosies there over the years.

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2007, 11:02:46 am »
Yep, that's the one; it's the jump right in front of the grandstand.
This bloke did a stylish effort on the previous lap and I thought he might try it again.
He was very quick and dueling with the eventual winner the whole time.
I'm not sure what went wrong; I was concentrating on keeping him squarely in the lens.
He walked away after five minutes - all good.
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

oldfart

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2007, 08:32:23 pm »
There seems to be some sort of evil lip that catchs them out . Yes I have seen some real shockers in the same spot most end up with busted limbs or bruised egos .
The track location is spot on -only 2klms down the road , tooooo many bloody jumps for me   ;D