Author Topic: coils are coils  (Read 1049 times)

DR

coils are coils
« on: January 28, 2010, 05:17:29 pm »
I've always been under the impression you couldn't use a non CDI ignition coil on a bike that has CDI. Hence I have always hunted up the 'cd' type coils for my projects. Well I just had a coil fail on the TM125 and I had no CD coils 'in stock' so I fitted a 1968 U70 coil and crossed my fingers. It bolted straight on and works like a charm so another long standing no-no theory of mine has just been blown clear out of the water :o Just thought it maybe worth a mention is all ;)

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: coils are coils
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 05:31:04 pm »
don't do it on cars that use an ordinary looking  coil as they can explode. cheers wally.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 07:19:20 pm »
pionts coils will run on cdi systems but they get over driven,ok for short races/rides but woulden trust on a long haul through the desert without a backup.favourite thing to do to redbacks found under tanks was to give them a hit of ether to calm them down than transfer to a parts box and wait till they came to than connect a victa points coil to the ignition/coil tester on the cdi setting...results one peed off arked up spider that got torched with the extra fat over driven spark  :o ;D ;D 8)

DR

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 08:45:17 pm »
 :D I take it you be talking from experience Wally? ;D

anyone wondering, a '68 U70 is a piddly little steppy with the most weird motor I ever did see ;)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 08:47:47 pm by Doc »