Author Topic: So ya think we're a mad bunch! hmmmm  (Read 8092 times)

Doc

So ya think we're a mad bunch! hmmmm
« on: November 23, 2007, 09:03:07 pm »
When someone (or you) questions your sanity or lack there of next time you buy an old vintage crosser or parts..simply veiw this item to make you feel much better  :o VSB is alive and thriving..I even have my old flexi-board..first of the wide polyurethane wheels(the earlier chalk wheels were natural born killers) in superb barely used condition..they were far too dangerous for me!  ;D

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NOS-70s-GOLDEN-BREED-Vintage-Skateboard-Ultra-RARE_W0QQitemZ150182902208QQihZ005QQcategoryZ16264QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 09:05:06 pm by Doc »

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: So ya think we're a mad bunch! hmmmm
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2007, 09:06:28 pm »
there a certain person whos a member of this forum who collect these thing if there any good   he will tell ya
right adam

Offline maicomc490t

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2007, 09:44:09 pm »

While you would have to be as mad as a cut snake to pay $550 for an old skate board - Golden Breed or not - it is damn funny the sort of shit people collect !?

Why, only a few months back, this Maico obsessed fool (me) has taken to collecting old WW1 and WW2 bayonets (anyone got any to spare?).

Evilbay has all sorts fo stuff for you to spend you hard earned's on. It is simply a matter for some restraint (yeah right, as if !!!)

See you at the back of the pack in '08  ;)

VAPOUR (AKA HYDRA / HYDRO / AQUA / WET) BLASTING AND GENERAL ENGINEERING 0416074750 (or) [email protected]

DUCATI Parts wanted esp 450 R/T and other early models inc V-twins

BULTACO M49 parts wanted

YZ360A

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2007, 11:33:58 pm »
That Golden Breed board is a bargin and guy's out there don't relies how rare these things are.

How many of these would have been trashed and sent to the tip.

Ah Yes Paul skateboards, some do offer good returns.
If they are like this golden breed board NOS then they usually fetch a pretty penny.
The brands really popular are old HOBIE'S, G & S, Powells and santa cruz and vision.

The very first Tony Hawks bring the most and especilly if they are signed and nos.
Some boards can bring as much as a fully restored  YZA or a RH suzi.

Check out a web site called the art of skateboarding.

They are sort of like old dirt bikes the first models usually bring the most coin.

Recently I purchased a EARLY 90'S Tony Hawk board off Ebay in the USA.
I knew this deck was pretty rare but not as rare as I'm about to tell you.

At first I thought this was somebody at work takin the piss out of me lucky I treaded carefully first.

( IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHO TONY HAWK IS ASK YOUR KIDS HE'S LIKE THE BOB HANNAH OF SKATE BOARDING)

Two hours afters after winning the item I was contacted by Tony Hawks personal assistant as I out bid them for this board.
They told me that Tony Hawk himself doesn't even have this deck as they were breach of copyright due to the design being taken from a Album cover by the damned.

They needed this board to finish off his personal collection of decks etc.

They were offering me alot of different deals to get this board from me but I knew that this thing is rare and how rare hey if the man who made this board don't have one then Whoa.

What makes this even better is that it is also personally signed by him as well.

Any way I have told them if they are ever in Australia Mr Hawk himself I will give the deck to him as he should really have it.

That way it makes the deal a bit more personal and they have agreed even if I go to the states to drop them a line to catch up.
They have offered me a lot for this but to me the thing is probably priceless in Skate board collecting and now sits on the lounge room wall above my YZ360A it's a bit of a talking point now.

Oh yeah I collect Skateboards, Surfboards and Memorabilia, Old Chevy's and Old Motocrossers. Plus timber skiboats I nearly forgot about them.

I have a very good wife and a good dad to store alot of this sh?t for me. :)

Adam
« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 11:38:52 pm by YZ360A »

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2007, 01:12:27 am »
right now there are alot off old guy going were did i put that skate board or mum is my skate board in my bedroom still at home 
plus i will verify adam /tony hawk story because ive seen the letter that tony hawk company sent him
to tell the truth though i would have the yz 360a rather than the board  thanks so if i find one it yours adam straight swap   ;D

firko

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2007, 09:03:38 am »
There are some amazing collectors involved in the vintage scene. Within Klub Kevlar we have some mighty collections. Edgar Phipps has a collection of six ready to race racing hydroplanes including the last front engined boat (Latimer Lodge) to win the Gold Cup in Seattle,Washington, the unofficial world championship for such boats. As well as some nice Elsinores, three Metisses and an almost complete collection of Maicos from 1968-1984 including a holy grail 501 he has a genuine Falcon GTHO phase III. Ed also has a big collection of Chevy big and small block race engines.
Alan Jones has a collection of speedway bike engines equal to anything in the world including rare American Maely and Offenhauser engines, two Aussie made engines and almost every four valve conversion made for the Jawa 2 valve. He's also got a good collection of Brit MX bikes including Rickman, BSA, CCM, Cheney and more. He will soon take delivery of a rare Swedish Monark 500 GP engine that will be the basis for a full Monark GP replica.
 He also has a cherry '69 Ford Mustang.
I have sold off most of my bikes since I stopped racing and am now concentrating on rare aftermarket framed bikes. At present I've got a Hindall Ducati 350, Hindall Yamaha 250 and Cheney Yamaha 360 along with a Trackmaster flat tracker destined to recieve a 650 Benelli engine, an Antig 250 Maico slider,and two rare 350 Maico square barrels, a one off Maico trials bike and other oddities.  I also collect early Australian speed equipment for grey Holden engines, antique and rare Swiss watches and cast iron money boxes. I have a pretty nice 1978 V12 XJS Jaguar coupe and I'm considering building a nostalgia drag car, possibly a Fiat Topolino altered.
 I know of one forum member who has the biggest collection of electric guitars imaginable, everything from Les Paul Gibsons, Strats, Teles, you name it. I also have a friend who has a collection of all sorts of stuff from the year 1981 including an IT465,490 Maico and 400 PE X and many other non motorcycling 1981 issue items.
Many of us possess that pack rat collector mentality so It'd be interesting to hear of other forum members collection fetishes.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 09:38:48 am by firko »

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2007, 09:25:47 am »
yes i agree Firko we all have that collection bug to some extent.

i have been a "Live" music collector or years concentrating on bands like Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, Bruce Springsteen, Deep Purple, Van Morrison, Cold Chisel, Midnight Oil, etc. Its amazing what is out there, for instance it is possible to collect 90-95 % of every single Live performance of the Stones, Zeppelin, Morrison or Springsteen since 1970 onwards, i am not that fanatical though. i know a guy that collects Caps, a Sheila that collects Beer coasters, and quite a few blokes that collect the 2 wheel toys we all like.
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline fatboycrash

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2007, 10:12:41 am »
I take my hat off to you blokes. How amazing, I just dunno how it's done. I always find that the more stuff you have, the more it owns you. Like right now I have a shed FULL of motorcycles and not all mine. You have to do contortionist maneuvers to get to the door.   I have a mates bike stored at work because there is no room at home. Everyone I have a special attachment to. But everyone of them I can think of something that could or should be done to them. I could spend the next two weeks just working on bikes, never mind the amount of money I could spend. It's endless, chains, tyres, clean this, paint that, put that motor back together, strip this for the powder coaters, but 34mm flatslides for that, put a new top end on this.... it's just endless. I fantasize about a simple life of TWO bikes. But it's a disease and I've got it BAD. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy fiddling with special bikes. The older I get the more I enjoy it. Probably just as much as riding them. And you guys have multiple collections?? :o :o :o
Why do we feel the need to own so much STUFF???
Does anyone ever get guilty and think, shit, maybe I shouldn't have spent that money? I do, often.
FBC

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2007, 10:22:20 am »
no

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2007, 10:48:24 am »
Ditto what fatboycrash said.
except fot the 34mm flatslide bit. make mine a round slide.
"flat bickie"

Doc

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2007, 11:26:42 am »
never felt guilty about buying a bike or the money spent..maybe a little surprised but not guilty ;D can't say I collect much except anything pertaining to my collection of old zooks, I own my bikes and half a house and that's about it..what more do you need!! ::)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 11:28:24 am by Doc »

firko

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2007, 11:42:15 am »
Thanks Hoony you reminded me of some more of my obsessions. I have over 600 vinyl record albums with a bias towards late 60's and early seventies American bands and blues, I've also got 200 plus t shirts including to my pride and joy Saddleback Park shirt from 1970. I am also building a small but growing collection of Webco and Yamaha GYT accessories.
I too have a soft spot for live albums Hoony, my favourites being "The Guess Who, Live in Winipeg" recorded during their reunion tour in 2004 and the Grateful Deads Coast to Coast double live album from 1979....It's a disease. I'm with Doc. Guilty? Never.

*Hey Adam, I've got a couple of old surfboards including a circa 1966 Scott Dillon beauty I found at the Salvation Army for $20. I once had a genuine mid 50's Hawaiian made balsa and teak 10 footer that I sold to buy an air ticket to Europe. It'd be worth four times that now. I actually saw Tony Hawk in action in Long Beach, CA. back in the mid eighties, right when he was at the peak of his craft. He seemed to be a cool character and I was pretty impressed with his friendly connection with his fans. He was a God to my then stepson.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 12:06:16 pm by firko »

Offline lukeb1961

• Legend
  • PE175N, RM80B, JR50C
    • View Profile
    • PE175N
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2007, 04:27:19 pm »
Love the Grey motor speed equipment! Way Cool. Now where's a good FC...

Offline maicomc490t

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2007, 04:29:22 pm »

While I am still amazed by the skate board story the posts that followed it did at least put things in perspective and it has sparked an interesting thread which I hope all you guys out there build on.

Some things like my Ducati brochure collection began back in the seventies when my then girlfriend and I lobbed at the Duke factory and the Bologna motor show and took away a sheath of promotional material which I was slowly adding to by way of swap meet finds and connections. That was until ebay came along and then I went troppo but have to say there isn't much from the early sixties to the mid eighties I am lacking for now and some of the stuff is worth a small fortune.

Likewise with Maico material which has taken a few years to build up mostly care of evilbay - but it is great knowing your money isn't wasted while building up a great reference library (hopefully available to all in the new year)

Anyone familiar with the movie Gallipoli when the men of the 8th and 10th Lighthorse Brigades hung various items on the hooked quillion (handguard) of their bayonets embedded in the sandbags at the jump off point before facing almost certain death? This style is bayonet is one of the most collectable ww1 bayonets and I was happy to fork out $900AU for one so who's a silly sausage !!!

Whatever you collect just make sure your loved ones are familiar with the value of the items in your collection so that the true value is realised should anything bad befall you.

Enjoy collecting whatever,

Dave Mac
VAPOUR (AKA HYDRA / HYDRO / AQUA / WET) BLASTING AND GENERAL ENGINEERING 0416074750 (or) [email protected]

DUCATI Parts wanted esp 450 R/T and other early models inc V-twins

BULTACO M49 parts wanted

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2007, 04:47:16 pm »
i wasnt going to say this but i collect nightmare before christmas  toys, some off it is worth a forturne  ,plus all sortsa stuff
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 08:05:40 pm by paul »