Author Topic: How rare  (Read 2234 times)

maicoman

How rare
« on: January 21, 2010, 01:05:15 am »
My question is how rare are 1980 KX125A6's. I have one that is about 90% complete and may want to part with it. I have found that many dealers have all the parts to restore it in the US but I have to many projects. What's it worth?

Offline Trent Farlow

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: How rare
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 08:54:44 am »
They are rare, you don't often see them, like most early KX's, back in the day the A6 had good suspension (compared to the other first Unitraks) but a slow engine, Dirt Bike magazine were scathing of its lack of power. This was fixed with the A7 in 1981 and you can easily do the A7 mods to your A6 to give it some beans.  With regards to what it is worth - best put it out there and see, it will appeal to someone who had that model back in the day or always wanted one. But if you are going to race pre 85 125 and want to go green the later watercooled bikes are superior.  Cheers

211kawasaki

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 09:30:44 pm »
Got one of these and I can honestly say that it has less go than my TM125, both are stock and in VGC but at least the TM would pull the skin off a rice pudding. Having said that I have never seen another in the recent past 25 years and if you find it at the right price Im sure the engine could be made to go.
I paid $1200 for my one was very lucky to find it at that, I guess a good 90% is $800 - $1000 if you find a lover of all things Green.

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 09:56:01 pm »
You lucky guy how about you keep that and sell the 500 :P thanks Michael.
1971 tm400 and PE's

211kawasaki

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 11:13:04 am »
Que?

TM BILL

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 11:34:19 am »
Got one of these and I can honestly say that it has less go than my TM125, both are stock and in VGC but at least the TM would pull the skin off a rice pudding. Having said that I have never seen another in the recent past 25 years and if you find it at the right price Im sure the engine could be made to go.
I paid $1200 for my one was very lucky to find it at that, I guess a good 90% is $800 - $1000 if you find a lover of all things Green.

They may be slow but that one of Daves was a rare find in good original condition  :) I would happily have that one in the shed  ;)

maicoman

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 12:21:07 pm »
Cheers guys, I agree going off the ADB test at the time they were slow and when you consider the opposition and what was coming from them. The A7 was a better bike but by 1981 the others were all watercooled.
The story with the bike was that back when I was on the tools a local called into the servo and saw I had a Thumpernats shirt on circa1996, he said are you into bikes, sure I said. "He said I have an old kx at home and I want $60 for it, I mean I must get $60, it's worth that".
 Was I hearing him right? ok I'll call around later. To cut a long story short I picked it up and it was missing the barrel which was left at Campbelltown bike wreckers who had a clean out and tossed it out. I found a barrel and head at Penrith bike wreckers, not sure if it is an A6 or 7 barrel, so most of it is there.
  I do have some spare plastics for it but basically needs a reed block, intake and kickstart lever. I found a brand new NOS seat in the plastic bag at Dubbo swap meet many years ago. So most of it is there to complete a resto.
Owes me nothing and it would be nice to restore and show off even if they go like a wet rag.