Author Topic: KLX engines  (Read 16093 times)

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Re: KLX engines
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2010, 09:53:20 am »
UK  KL had a smaller slide carb.

Indeed. I found my ADB article and they said the same. I definitely remember reading that the KL had alarger CV carb in a magazine article that someone scanner and posted up.

Maybe a US market thing?
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline cloggy

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2010, 06:15:47 am »
Faffed about with the bike all day today
I'm definately not going to build them both up.
There's too many small bits missing.
I just need the headlamp assembly, a front brake lever,  and the tank strap.
I also could do with either another chain or a rear sprocket, a 47 or 46, and some decent enduro tyres.
Anyone know if sprockets are available off the shelf in the UK?
If not I can easily get one made up.
 I would like the later wiring diagram, in case I have to swap motors
I cleaned and unjammed the correct carb last night. It isn't quite as my book, a 25 idle jet and a 140 main is what it had. Anyway it runs fine.

Offline grouty

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2010, 08:21:09 pm »
Cloggy, Most of the bits you need will be on ebay. There are rubber tank straps on at present. The headlamp assembly is not that easy to find. If it helps they are the same as the KDX175 which was more popular over here in the UK. The brake levers are on ebay or (as I use) Wemoto. They are identical to the o.e. ones but cheaper. Chain and sprockets are easily available from your local bike shop. Just replaced mine (every 12 months) with a 14T front and a 44T rear with an o-ring chain. If you use anything bigger than the 44 rear you will struggle to get anything more than 40mph. Mine is happy (ish) at 50mph, but I would not want to rev it any more.
I can photocopy a wiring diagram from the B2 book (6 volt) and bring it to Telford, if you are going.
Don't give up on the gutless old crap, once running right they will go places modern bikes can only dream about, do 50mpg, never boil a radiator, always start when drowned or dropped, and always seem to be a talking point where ever they are parked.
The motors can be made to give a bit more power too.
Thumpers Rule !

Offline cloggy

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2010, 08:51:42 pm »
I'm not sure what's inside the cases of either of my complete motors but if I want pep I've got several DR400s, one of which actually runs.
Motoduro said that the headlight is a 110mm unit. Nothing is turning up so I'm hoping that Telford will help. I'll take your advice and get a 44,  Levers and stuff I can get cheap from Offroad only, who are only 20 minutes away. What day are you going to be at Telford?

Offline grouty

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2010, 01:04:43 am »
Should be there Saturday.
Be good if Paul can get there too.
You will probably find me around the Performance Engineering stand gawping at my new part built 73 CCM.
If you are going on Sat, let me know and I will PM my mobile No. to you.
Thumpers Rule !

Offline cloggy

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2010, 03:07:34 am »
I'm afraid you trump me with that. I'll let you know nearer the time.
 Corby had the sprocket in stock,asking price £65.65. They wandered off to the boss and came back with £22. Oh the joys of dead stock!
As for the light, I'll buy a cheap generic one and hope the proper item turns up.
PS I've got  the tank straps from Corby
One thing I've just realised I do need is the silencer baffle.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 08:07:56 pm by cloggy »

Offline cloggy

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2010, 05:20:44 am »
I will indeed be there saturday

Offline cloggy

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2010, 08:42:28 am »
 Update

I got some s/h Ohlins at Telford off a Red Rocket. Backed off the preload and they work fine. Probably lost up to an inch of travel since they are slightly shorter and have a touch less stroke. Still they are light years better in quality than the originals. Interestingly the springs are the same length and diameter as the originals so I could swap if needed.
We cut 18 coils off the fork springs to up the rate and preloaded about an inch. Dropped the yokes to compensate for the shorter shocks. Probably should have cut another 3 or 4 coils but they seem good. I reckoned we could cut 25 ish and no preload  before they coil bound.

The standard carb is running a 140 main and a 25 idle. Have had to go to a P-O needle jet with the needle dropped to the top clip

The motor I'm using turned out to have a bronze bush on the large cam journal, and a fatter cam. No idea what the springs are, It's also got the larger bore non standard exhaust. I changed the head studs and cleaned the oil pump intake gauze [no metal filings]. I got a blank plug made in place of  the rev counter driven worm and cut off the cam drive.
I'm running Amsoil oil.

I've done two events on it. Unbeknownst to me the rear brake shoes disintegrated  during the first which made scrutineering at the second  a bit interesting.
Only minor problems apart from that.
 The side panels are really brittle. Do KX ones go straight on and what year?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 11:08:33 pm by cloggy »

Offline giler

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2010, 06:25:11 pm »
In the "klx a shared disease" thread there is a klx with kx125 side panels - should be straight swap and available from motoduro.
Giler
We are not here for a long time, we are here for a good time!

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2010, 06:55:51 pm »

They bolt straight on, and look better too.
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline grouty

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2010, 11:27:37 pm »
The KX side panels do look better.
Original pattern ones are available from DC Plastics ( I know, I had them done). They are not bad, but will need the 3 slots cutting out with a dremel.
Sounds like there has been a bit of work done on the motor. I don't suppose you took any pics when it was in bits ?

I would be nice to see pictures of the bike, including the exhaust.
Thumpers Rule !

Offline cloggy

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2010, 09:46:37 am »
I've ordered the KX ones from Motoduro
I was aware DC make klx ones but I'm not that bothered about originality, as long as it looks of the period.
The pipe is patched. Daz made a really nice silencer baffle, it revs ok  [ 69mph on a 44 rear] The cam journal bush is so hefty there's barely a gap where it seats.
I don't think there's as much midrange as a PE175 but it's faster than I am, and at my age, likely to remain so.....
http://grip.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Vinduro-Sept-2010/13958601_c8JhF#1027417950_gQ5w3
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 05:14:37 pm by cloggy »

Offline giler

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2010, 06:12:28 pm »
I've ordered the KX ones from Motoduro
I was aware DC make klx ones but I'm not that bothered about originality, as long as it looks of the period.
The pipe is patched. Daz made a really nice silencer baffle, it revs ok  [ 69mph on a 44 rear] The cam journal bush is so hefty there's barely a gap where it seats.
I don't think there's as much midrange as a PE175 but it's faster than I am, and at my age, likely to remain so.....
http://grip.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Vinduro-Sept-2010/13958601_c8JhF#1027417950_gQ5w3

Been trying to register on Gavins site, but won't go through, they are trying to sort it for me.
Looked like a great event. My klx has stalled progress as I have moved and do not have a garage (DOH), hopefully 8 weeks (planning
permission needed). 69mph sounds good!

Offline cloggy

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2010, 01:03:13 am »
 I have another donor bike and yet another engine in bits so I have a lot of stuff; but I want to hold on to most of it.
 I find Corby Kawasaki have parts and are helpfull. If you get a parts book off ebay then they are really onside. Rear brake shoes are identical to the up to 78 KE175. EBC sell them at 1/3 of the OEM price

Offline giler

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2010, 02:13:50 am »
Doesn't need too much doing when I get it back, valve stem seals, maybe rings, road legal tyres. Main thing is trying to find original silencer or period supertrapp.