Author Topic: 74 Yamaha DT250  (Read 3733 times)

Offline Turns

• Novice
    • View Profile
74 Yamaha DT250
« on: January 08, 2010, 08:33:16 am »
I thought I would post some pics of my Dt250. I have some better pics at work that I will upload when i get back to work - still a few weeks away ;D

I bought this bike with 5500kms on it that were said to be original, which i believe. It had stock tyres, tool kit but needed some work to get it reliable. it had some leaks, needed some carb work etc and had been sprayed with black paint over most of the bike to protect it :o luckily not on the tank and stuff.
I fixed the bike up with a new battery, filters, points, tyres, globes, touch up paint etc and got it running quite nice. I guess this first go at it reacquainted me with two strokes and small bikes to a degree. I get to ride all sorts of new bikes at times but that sound and smell of an old two stroke getting strapped is something that I love - cal it stress mgt ;)

I had the bike set up like this for a couple of years but always wanted to rego it so I could ride it more without having to chuck it in the ute. For rego i thought it needed a tidy up and this is what happened next.........

I was getting some product at work powdercoated so got the frame and swing arm done. At first I really wanted to paint the frame to keep it simple but got talked into powdercoat - now I wish I had more parts done. The other problem with powdercoating is everything else that was on the bike now looks rough.

The last pics I have just stuck the tank on to see what it looked like. The original blue on the tanks is not too bad unless you get up real close to inspect it - I might just re clear coat them as I don't want to mess with stickers and paint matching and stuff.
I thought I should strip and paint some bolt on parts at work where I have a booth and more space

I have painted them in VHT satin black engine enamel - seemed like a good idea at the time. Here is the motor on the bench

I will post more pics when I take them as I am a bit further with the build now. Is this type of build thread ok for this forum. I am and will need some advice as I haven't done a bike before and looking elsewhere on this forum you guys are basically bike mechanics.

thanks for the interest
cheers turns

mx250

Re: 74 Yamaha DT250
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 09:14:19 am »

Looks promising ;), keep up the great work. It's good to see an 'innocent' being suckered in. ;D.

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 09:28:30 am »
My second bike I owned ( the BSA Bantam with no engine that my brother and I had doesnt count) was a brand new DT250B (orange tank though). I went everywhere on that thing, every body would ask about the "radial finned head". I even raced it in some hare and hounds!!!...enduro type race. One day I'll probably get one again and do it up. Cheers John.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline Turns

• Novice
    • View Profile
Re: 74 Yamaha DT250 - New Pics
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 01:41:22 pm »
I thought I would add some pics of the bike before I pulled it down.

monaro308

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 03:27:10 pm »
Before????
Geez the before pics look good to me  ;D

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 07:33:58 pm »
Before????
Geez the before pics look good to me  ;D

Just what i was thinknig - its gonna be a ripper once its finished! :)

Its a 1975 (or 76) model, BTW. The four main give-aways are the tank, the little braces on the frame below the seat-tank junction, the big conical front hub, and the radially finned head.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.