Author Topic: The Nats  (Read 127397 times)

squirtmoto

Re: The Nats
« Reply #435 on: April 11, 2010, 10:14:00 PM »
simon PM me

Bill

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: April 11, 2010, 11:56:04 PM »
Must congratulate the Preston club on a well run event - and Drakie.
If you dont count the rain factor all was real good from what I saw and herd.

Offline worms

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: April 12, 2010, 05:55:02 AM »
get off ya horses, i went to the link for final results, 5 riders are listed as competing in pre 85 250, 5 starters, come on, i said i hope i was wrong but if the sheets are wrong they should be altered,

can someone say how many National titles have been awarded? and for what class's,

who won the interstate event?

Cheers Trev

STW996

« Reply #438 on: April 12, 2010, 06:13:38 AM »
Trev, need to click on the point scoring part, 8 runners?

Still not good for pre 85 (250) but last year in Queensland we thought we would have to run timing for the top 40 and only had 20 entries (shit we get better than that at a club event usually in QLD).

Some people just don't like to run national events, lets face it, some are only there for the club stuff (and that ok to me) and we need that to keep the sport alive.

No use slagging off about it now it has happened and that is it.

I would still like to see them as championship classes as blokes like Brad and Tony (Cavell) and all the others, travel a long way to support the sport year in year out.

Personally the photos (as far as I can see) so far seem to show a top track and a great venue held by a long standing club so what have they done wrong??

What should we pay people to turn up??

Oh and Devilman Worms was the main man behind the Queensland nationals last year so I don't think he has an axe to grind.

P.S. Congrats to all the winners on the day, see the QLD boys got up in the challenge ;)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 06:25:18 AM by STW996 »

All Things 414

« Reply #439 on: April 12, 2010, 06:41:57 AM »
no matter what happened. He should be disqualified

I think he was from that class (rightfully so). Should have been from the meeting.....

Offline worms

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: April 12, 2010, 07:08:58 AM »
ok, ok i'm sorry for using piss poor and Vic's in the same sentence, I love Broadford as a venue, the track looked shit hot, the Preston club is a great Victorian club, MA, well is MA,so i asked the question why so poor entries, DONT WORRY, I will go shove my head in the sand or up my arse as some emails to me suggest, and leave the powers to be to rave on and the gods of our sport to pat themselves on their backs. my only future posts will be for the ride for Magoo.

congratulations to the winners and grinners

Cheers Trev, the dumb arse bastard who's done nothing for the sport, how dare i have an opinion so soon! Worms

All Things 414

« Reply #441 on: April 12, 2010, 07:25:32 AM »
There's too many classes and not enough races.
One bad race and you're out of it.
Too much sitting around.
Races are too short (for the later model bikes)
Time to split 'em up...... ;)

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: April 12, 2010, 08:47:27 AM »
get off ya horses, i went to the link for final results, 5 riders are listed as competing in pre 85 250, 5 starters, come on, i said i hope i was wrong but if the sheets are wrong they should be altered,

can someone say how many National titles have been awarded? and for what class's,

who won the interstate event?

Cheers Trev

5 starters in the last moto doesn't mean 5 entries for the class.You would have to ask the individual riders as to who broke, crashed or couldn't handle the track and didnt line up.Same goe's for every class.

No horse here the first round of Viper had bigger line ups in some class's. Wonder why?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 08:50:18 AM by motomaniac »

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: April 12, 2010, 11:03:32 AM »
It was a good event, end of story.

The track changed remarkably over the weekend - Friday was like last weekend, Saturday morning was similar but better, Saturday arvo after the rain was slick, Sunday morning after the rain was sloppy, and Sunday arvo was very good (although predictably chopped up by then). And my concerns about the track watering after HBBB were... washed away by nature's track watering! At least it was something that nobody had any control over, rather than well-intentioned actions.

Personally, I had a mixed weekend, but greatly enjoyed it.
My hastily cobbled together, POS Evo bike suffered a couple of failures, the last of which was a blocked fuel tap (WTF?!). Its a YZ125E with a longer shock and 125G forks jammed in - and it actually works really well, despite my fears that it would handle like a pig. In the one race where I completed more than half a lap on it, I was actually able to chase down a few of the newer Evo bikes and at least one pre-85 bike.

The newly completed MX250 was a model of reliability, although the rubbish shocks hurt it, and I was very timid on it (particularly in the slop). In the drying conditions on Sunday arvo, I started searching for the limits and got a lot more competitive.

That left the pre-78 125. On Saturday, I managed a surprising (albeit distant) 4th place and actually overtook Snowy76 for the first time ever (passing him while he's crashed doesn't count - that's happened plenty of times!). After a brief look at the track on Sunday morning(before the Evo bike died again! :D ), I decided to ride to survive and maybe try to beat Snowy and Davey Crocket - the three fast guys could go and do their own thing in the mud.
That went pretty much to plan - I finished an even more distant 4th place.
Into the final race, the only hope was that 090, Luke or Nick would DNF and I could Bradbury a 3rd overall.
It didn't work like that.... My gearbox jammed in neutral and I couldn't recatch John, and ended up 5th in that race and 4th overall. And the gearbox makes some awful growling noises now, so it needs the cases split.  :'(

I was on the ACT team for the interstate challenge - listening to the names of the other riders in the race was more than a little intimidating! Of the 21 riders (three riders each, from ACT, Qld, NSW, SA, Tas, Vic and WA*), my name was one of six that I didn't recognise as being a 'name' VMX rider - and the other 'unknowns' were mostly known to be faster than me and/or also on the ACT team!
So my goals were to beat Freaky and not humiliate myself - and while I never threatened for the lead, I think I managed my goals. :) I also realised that I was on the pace in a lot of sections of track, and even faster than some of the good guys in some sections - but that I was burning time in other sections... At the least, it makes it clear what I've got to work on!
The downside of riding in the insterstate challenge was not getting to watch what happened at the front!

Despite the pre-event conspiracy theories and the bitching, it was a well run race meet that (AFAIK) resulted in no protests and no injuries. Apart from mechanical issues, I think that all of the winners were deserving winners, and you can't really ask for more than that.

Other points that spring to mind:

Dean Burt's mechanical DNF in the second Evo big bore race, while leading comfortably. 1st, DNF, 1st left him with 4th(?) overall which must have been a bitter pill for him to swallow.

Gary Jones is a really nice bloke. And yes, he can still ride!

The Smith boys on the Elsinores are awesome to watch. Ditto the Herbert brothers on the YZ-As (thanks MM).

My travelling buddy Donny had a lousy weekend racing-wise - missing races, getting stuck on hills in the slop, etc. But his help was greatly appreciated - to the point that I warned him that, in the future, he might get dragged along as team manager/pit bitch whether he likes it or not!

I realised that I am yet to meet a genuine dickhead through old dirt bikes. Sure, there's plenty of unusual personalities, but no real dickheads - and the vast majority are good, friendly people who are happy to help out and expect nothing in return. We should never lose sight of that!

Never play poker with Dave Tanner, the bastard. :D

*There a few some ring-ins! SA had Boagy, NSW had Gary Jones, and there were at least a couple of post-74 bikes out there.... :D By my reckoning, the ACT team's bent the rules the least of the rule benders.  :D

« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 12:38:24 PM by Nathan S »
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: April 12, 2010, 11:38:48 AM »
excellent post Nathan.
thanks for the story as it sheds the light as to what really went on at ground level.
did you get your parts ok?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 12:01:08 PM by vandy010 »
"flat bickie"

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: April 12, 2010, 11:46:05 AM »
Yes, thanks. :)
And thanks to Brad for bringing them down.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline shortshifter

• Legend
  • Sunshine Coast QLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: April 12, 2010, 12:14:17 PM »
Yep Nathan,as someone who was'nt there that's exactly the kind of info I needed.Sounds like you had a great event.

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: April 12, 2010, 12:32:39 PM »

It didn't work like that.... My gearbox jammed in neutral and I couldn't recatch John, and ended up 5th in that race and 4th overall. And the gearbox makes some awful growling noises now, so it needs the cases split.  :'(

The downside of riding in the insterstate challenge was not getting to watch what happened at the front!
Yer that was a great 2 moto's with most  the best riders of the weekend on the track at once

Other points that spring to mind:

Dean Burt's mechanical DNF in the second Evo big bore race, while leading comfortably. 1st, DNF, 1st left him with 4th(?) overall which must have been a bitter pill for him to swallow.

Gary Jones is a really nice bloke. And yes, he can still ride!

The Smith boys on the Elsinores are awesome to watch. Ditto the brothers on the YZ-As (sorry, names escape me right now).
The Herberts
My travelling buddy Donny had a lousy weekend racing-wise - missing races, getting stuck on hills in the slop, etc. But his help was greatly appreciated - to the point that I warned him that, in the future, he might get dragged along as team manager/pit bitch whether he likes it or not!

I realised that I am yet to meet a genuine dickhead through old dirt bikes. Sure, there's plenty of unusual personalities, but no real dickheads - and the vast majority are good, friendly people who are happy to help out and expect nothing in return. We should never lose sight of that!

Never play poker with Dave Tanner, the bastard. :D

*There a few some ring-ins! SA had Boagy, NSW had Gary Jones, and there were at least a couple of post-74 bikes out there.... :D By my reckoning, the ACT team's bent the rules the least of the rule benders.  :D
Tthere were a few Victorians in other teams to make up the numbers as well
nice post Nathan

[/quote]

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: April 12, 2010, 12:37:31 PM »
Did the obviously wrong Moto1 lap time for S1 (Boagy?) alter the results of the interstate challenge?
Alternatively, if its not wrong, can I sponsor him!?

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: April 12, 2010, 01:18:18 PM »
 ;D ;D   I roped in Boagy and Big J herbie for the SA team :O)

overall for what its worth the Track was not freindly, rain sucked, so did the mud, slush and clay nevermind the footy sized mud balls,  other wise was fun  ......  i think   :-\.

Big shout out 's to HIlly for making me some foot pegs up on the sat, after i found out rubber RT1 pegs and knee deep mud means you wont be standing on them for too long.
shout outs to Brad for the lend of what ever it was i kept borrowing, John tate cause he kept telling me to wash my bike,  and dAVE " GELIGNITE"  Tanner for his camp fire tales and track photography  ...  :-*

and cheerio's to all the guys on the forums that came up and said hi too !!!   ;)\

Yes nathan after slopping through the mud all weekend i was struggling and to keep a bike running  :-\, in at least one State race in 'S2', i did chase a GReen "A1" up the hill, if that was you, well done you bastard  ;D.   

i thought the Moto was the best the track looked all weekend - sun came out  ::) and probally was the best racing too.

1 S1  / SA 
2 Q1  / QLD 
3 V1  / VIC 
4 N2  / NSW
5 Q3  / QLD   
6 V2  / VIC   
7 V3  / VIC 
8 W1  / WA   
9 A1  / ACT 
10 N3  / NSW   
11 S2  / SA   
12 S3  / SA 
13 A2  / ACT   
14 W2  / WA 
15 T1  / TAS 
16 N1  / NSW 
17 Q2  / QLD   
18 A3  / ACT 
19 W3  / WA 
20 T3  / TAS   
21 T2  / TAS 

And NAth the interstate challenge was based on points not times ......  so we still came second   :-

I was packing the van up at presentations , did they mention it or hand out any prize T - shirts for it  ;) or did it just go to shit and classed as a fun event ?

*Pos  Name  Total

1  QLD  92
2  SA     84
3  VIC    82
4  NSW  71
5  ACT    50
6  WA     37
7  TAS     23

Alos missed out on whoever had set up Photos stuff for sale.... does anyone have links or details to who that was ? i never got up to the office place before they left  :-[

« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 02:52:28 PM by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff