Author Topic: Team Tossa Austrian Combine harvester  (Read 26482 times)

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
Team Tossa Austrian Combine harvester
« on: December 30, 2009, 10:22:49 AM »
Finally got hold of a 1981 KTM 390.  I have placed this on our website pre85MXWA as a project.  In the east you have a great setup as in knowledge on this website which i have used and also the ability to find some great professional services.  in the west the knowledge and professionals are there, but takes some work to get the details out of people.  So i've placed it on the website asking questions of people in how I should rebuild the bike, if you have a look, you might get a better idea of what I mean.  i would appreciate your thoughts

I hope to have this one rebuilt for the manjimup 15000 (first Sunday in June)

« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 10:27:07 AM by Tossa »
1973 Rickman Zundapp Metisse, to rebuild
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Team Tossa Austrian Combine harvester
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 10:56:23 AM »
Enjoy ,,,,, oh by the way have a WONDERFUL BIRTHDAY  ;D   :-* 
Best is in the West !!

oz555ktm

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 09:28:27 PM »

Need Help then just ask ..

or Send a E-Mail .

If I can not help some one in the KTM family will be to Happy too..

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 09:32:07 PM »
Thanks for the offer and as i get down the track i assure you i'll head to the guys who have an idea of what they are doing!!lol

Barry
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 10:10:18 AM »
Have the requisite parts manuals coming from the states, cost $30.00 happy with that.

Now a couple of questions, first thing being done is the frame

What colour, previous threads mention Milano Red and Coates Orange C320745A?

Though still waiting for the parts manual, where to get Head stem bearings and fork seals (38mm)?
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

oz555ktm

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 09:44:40 PM »

The Bearing are only Ball so go to a Bearing shop.
if you have no ball in the head stem then I can find out that for you..

I have been buying my for seals from Vintage Classic Rubbers and He has all of the Rubbers
you mite need for your KTM or any Bike

Call 02 9531 1547 

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 08:26:47 AM »
They make quite good MX'ers. We had one in our fleet last season, good strong torquey power which came on with a bit of a rush in the mid range. We had a custom pipe & muffler though. Pistons are hard to find, but we used a an easy to get Wiseco ring. We ran 13/54 which was posibly a bit short, but worked well on all the tracks we raced on in Vic. Very tall bikes though (too tall), we lowered ours 25mm front & rear and even then it seemed too tall. Milano Red is virtually impossible to pick from the original color.
Cheers,
K

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010, 12:00:03 PM »
thanks guys, they may appear simple questions, but just trying to get it right.  Thanks K for the info on your bike.  Pistons sound a bit of a prob so better get the bore looked at quick, though i know it's still on standard bore.  might start looking for first oversize
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 03:35:49 PM »
I have ridden and raced one of these fine machines.
First off the motors are very slow to build power, snappy power is not something this bike will do. Second they don't steer very quickly. You will need wide flowing lines.
Once these things are wound up at speed they go very fast very little if anything will pass you once its WFO. They track straight and true and hold there line, There soft for MX perfect for Vinduro thou.
I've seen a project one of these in 250 MX frame witch is heaps different with a warmed over motor which would be a very interesting bike to VMX.

Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 04:25:58 PM »
one of the reasons i put this on the forum is to get the sort of info from the guys who have run these.  From hearing BigK about lowering the bike. To theinfo regarding the power band.  Will need advise at sometime how i might get the motor quicker, whether it be porting or timing, whatever.  It's all really interesting info and hopefully I'll put it to good use.

I hope to have the frame and wheels off for bead blasting, powder coating respoking etc by the end of next week.  But got a couple of things on the go ie 1983 RM250D that i've got to get the carbie tuned and have new plastics and decals etc, for the season.  A 1974 Yammie MX250A for sale, and a MX360A I"m having resleeved.

Hope to have this running for the manjimup 15000 on the first Sunday in June.  It's a brilliant meet, we run as a support class with 10,000 spectators, stunning track!!!
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 08:02:30 PM »
Fit a MX internal rotar is a quick fix if you going to MX it, really thou these wonderfull bikes need extensive mod's for MX top ten finish. They eat hills and laugh at anything that can be hit at pace with vinduro, This is why KTM made the 420 MX so quickly the 390 was a MX dog but a beautifull engine in other applications.
I have been racing KTM's since the 80's and still race Brad Lewis collection of bikes today of whitch there are some 30 odd ready to race bikes. The 390 is still one of my fav KTM bikes but not to MX the 420 is perfect the twin shock 495 beats you to death and my fav 495 is the 83 model a smooth ride with a little top end snap.
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

oz555ktm

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010, 11:01:43 PM »
Dose your Engine Number End  wiht the Letter  A   or    B   ?

Eg  560 #####  A  or   560##### B

« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 11:04:19 PM by oz555ktm »

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2010, 10:28:53 AM »
Engine number ends in an A

I understand the 390 was brought out as an ISDE model i think.  Don't expect to be anywhere near the front, noyt that good a rider.  Bit old now to expect much, just get a damn big smile on the face, the wife takes photo's for the VMX and Pre85 club, so it's just a fun thing

Been wanting to get a KTM for a few years, and basically know i don't have the "495"  but then i don't have the 495 body either!!lol

About the internal rotor what is the difference and where can i get one.  thinking of getting different pipe, but don't really know what i've got until the parts books turn up, hopefully this week

Already sent the Ohlins of to be refurbished.  Next week the frame will go to be Powdercoated, wondering whether to just blast the swinging arm and motor or get them powder coated as well.  Anyone know the colour to use

Thank you all for the great help I'm getting
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2010, 07:41:19 PM »
The crank would weigh more than most good boat anchors hench the slow to build power. By fitting a MX ingnition or internal roter you are removing some of the weight and it will help it spin up a little faster. Darell Lewis can make you a great pipe to suit the power your after he knows his KTM.

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2010, 10:40:41 AM »
The crank would weigh more than most good boat anchors hench the slow to build power. By fitting a MX ingnition or internal roter you are removing some of the weight and it will help it spin up a little faster. Darell Lewis can make you a great pipe to suit the power your after he knows his KTM.

Thanks for the info, getting deeper and deeper and learning so much, so quickly.  Haven't had a look at the motor at the moment too damn hot to spend too spend much time in the shed, but hopefully will get a bit done on weekend and next week.  Once i get the engine parts manual, will be able to tell what rotor and flywheel I have.  Really biting my tongue, can't wait to start see results
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250