Author Topic: painting helmets  (Read 4743 times)

zman

painting helmets
« on: December 24, 2009, 08:13:21 pm »
hi all so is it safe to paint them ive been told in the past it effects the fibre its made of but i cant see any reason why it would

thanks hope you all have a great xmas :)

Offline marsman

• Novice
    • View Profile
Re: painting helmets
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 10:54:53 am »
I used to work in the motorcycle industry back in the 70's and 80's and sold stacks of helmets.
The only thing I can recall is not to paint the polycarbonate (plastic helmets ) as the paint does apparently react with the polycarbonate. I know we used to stock a special spraypaint for them (poly).

I can also recall selling fiberglass helmets which were painted red white and blue , which were done by Bennett Honda here in Aust. and I've painted many fiberglass helmets over the years and I can honestly say that the internal padding will wear out long before the helmet will detonate from a paint job!!!
Hope it helps
"I know I was fast once ; but I just can't remember when"

DR

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 11:54:55 am »
it's not so much the shell if it's fibreglass it's the polystyrene or whatever it's called 'foam' inner shell that may be damaged by the solvents in the paint. I'd reckon if you seal the inner totally so as no fumes could get in then where be the problem :-\ Painted them before but I've never really put any to the test after the fact.

zman

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 03:43:04 pm »
im having a bit of trouble finding an open face thats not black, silver or white id like a yellow one but there hard to bloody find. just wanna have the 80s look with the scott face mask again

Offline Colin Jay

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 05:41:13 pm »
I have painted several of my helmets in the past, but only ever those with fibreglass shells. Properly masked there should be no risk to the internal liner.

I was alway told, and quite a lot of helmet manufacturers used to put a warning sticker on their helmets, that you should not paint polycarbonate /plastic shell helmets due to the effect that the solvent/thinners will have on the shell. Having had a few incidents with paint thinners "melting" plastic containers, I have good cause to believe that it would have the same affect on a helmet shell and would therefore not recommend painting a polycarb/plastic helmet.

CJ
Why do things the easy way, when with a bit of effort you can really make it difficult for yourself!!

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 05:55:48 pm »
im having a bit of trouble finding an open face thats not black, silver or white id like a yellow one but there hard to bloody find. just wanna have the 80s look with the scott face mask again

Just google "open face helmet yellow", and you'll find plenty, including the KBC Tour Com, and the HCI-10, among others. Just have to check in your MoMS for AS1698 equivalency. And good luck tracking down a Scott mask.... ;)
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

zman

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 08:51:34 pm »
got a yellow face mask of flea bay in the us it came  just in time for xmas. paid 70 bucks to get it and when it got here it was in its original package with $6-95 on it  ::)

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 09:01:42 pm »
Grrrr ! >:( Nemmind Zeddy, they are scarce, so worthwhile getting for the Kool Factor. Probably get your yellow helmet for around the same price, though... ::).

Be good if some enterprising soul started re-manufacturing those ripper Carrera goggles to match all our Jofas... ;)

Offline Colin Jay

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 09:33:37 am »

[/quote] Just have to check in your MoMS for AS1698 equivalency. [/quote]

By law, all motorcycle helmets sold in Australia have to comply with AS1698 and must has the sticker afixed, unless they are sold for "display purposes only" i.e. memorabillia items such as a Valentino Rossi helmet in a glass display case. Although if you buy one from overseas, obviously it would not have an AS1698 compliance sticker afixed, even if it was the same make and model as a helmet available in Aust.

CJ
Why do things the easy way, when with a bit of effort you can really make it difficult for yourself!!

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 04:15:57 pm »
Quote from: Colj500 link=topic=11074.msg109308#msg109308 date=1262039617

[/quote
Just have to check in your MoMS for AS1698 equivalency.

By law, all motorcycle helmets sold in Australia have to comply with AS1698 and must has the sticker afixed, unless they are sold for "display purposes only" i.e. memorabillia items such as a Valentino Rossi helmet in a glass display case. Although if you buy one from overseas, obviously it would not have an AS1698 compliance sticker afixed, even if it was the same make and model as a helmet available in Aust.

CJ

Having seen two people go through this at the Aussie titles. First was a brand new latest full face from the U.K, second was an open face. Neither had Au standard but when you go through the rule book, other standards (there was a long list) were also accepted. U.k was one and the open face had a Belgium (I think) standard and both were passed. Both are forum members .

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2009, 04:21:03 pm »
I remember reading somewhere earlier this year that there was problems with some of the non Australian standard KBC open face helmets in from the USA and that they were no where near up to scratch for Australian standards or the KBC open face helmets were taken off the Australian market or something similar to that and were dangerous/faulty although they were still being sold throughout US. That put me off a KBC open face and i went for a Shoei which i got for a good price. Its only for use on public roads you need you need a Aus standards sticker or specific disaplins or events where they say in the supp regs that you must have a AS sticker.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 04:23:08 pm by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

zman

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2009, 05:10:14 pm »
only yellow open face ive found so far is in the us and like you guys have said theres no point in buying it if its not australian standard.because id be pissed if i got to scrutineering and couldnt race with it

Offline Colin Jay

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2009, 05:20:52 pm »
I was really just pointing out that all helmet sold in Australia for use by motorcyclist on the road, by law must meet AS1698, and therefore have a sticker afixed to it. If a shop is selling helmets that doesn't have the AS1698 sticker, they must point out that they are not for use on the roads and can only be used for competition or display purposes.

As a licensed MA official, I have passed quite a few helmets through machine examination that didn't have an AS1698, but had sticker for other standards as listed in the GCR's. I have also passes one through for a "young gun" at a club event who had all the latest, trickest, expensive riding gear, and had peeled the AS1698 sticker off of his helmet because it "wrecked the graphics". I passed it, on the day becuase I had seen other helmets the same with the AS1698 sticker. He was warned that he would need to get a new helmet before the next event as I would not pass it in the future (it did not have any other certifications labels inside).

In the reliability trials that I compete in, since the events are run in part on public roads, all of the helmets must meet the AS1698 std and have the stickers.

So, Zman, as long as you are only going to use the helmet for competition (or offroad riding) if it meets any of the US standard, i.e. DOT 218/SNELL M95, M2000, M2005, and is marked accordingly, then it is legal for use in a MA sactioned event. I would contact the seller and ask for confirmation that it has the DOT/SNELL sticker/labels.

CJ
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 05:26:04 pm by Colj500 »

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2009, 08:58:35 pm »
 Well explained, Col. It's scary the number of officials who are across the A1698 rule, but won't countenance any equivalency. Page 249 in the new MoMS, Zeddy.  ;)

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2009, 09:25:12 am »
Well explained, Col. It's scary the number of officials who are across the A1698 rule, but won't countenance any equivalency. Page 249 in the new MoMS, Zeddy.  ;)
I've heard stories of guys coming over for the aussie trials champs with helmets that have been used in europe & nz no problems being told they had to buy new helmets with the australian standard. Guess some officials don't look in their manuals