Author Topic: 102 octane racing fuel.  (Read 18298 times)

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: 102 octane racing fuel.
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2009, 06:49:07 pm »
The only problem I had with Elf is you had to buy it in 50 litre drums so you have to store it correctly and it cost a motsa!!! , but it's like putting a turbo on your engine!!!. The word "oxinginated" is the secret to the workings of it. ;)
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

ChrisACT

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2009, 09:47:00 pm »
Just make sure the engine is well and truly up to temp if it's air cooled.  That's when your detonation problems will show up.  It used to take my bucket racer at least a lap before it would start to knock if I used the wrong fuel.

pbear62

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2009, 11:29:01 am »
Hi Davey Crockett,  I'm not sure what the ELF distributors in other states do, but we get our fuel over in 200 litre drums & will either sell it like this or can decant into 20 or 50 litre drums or your own jerry cans or drums etc.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2009, 01:36:09 pm »
CamP we have 100LL avgas and BP100 high lead , both have a specific gravity of 0.72 compared to plain PULP fuel which has an SG of 0.78. Avgas is consistent from batch to batch but so is BP98. I used to use avgas but after the price going to over $60 for a 20 litre drum(you can no longer get from airfields), alternatives were looked at after much dicking round BP98 based brew outperformed avgas in every area at about a 1/3 of the cost.Have run as high as 14:1 UCCR on water cooled engines on PULP with no detonation isssues, just as easy to jet and more HP produced.
Moto124 is THE fuel to use ;)
How well you can actually acheive that with old design Yamaha heads, is another question...
Pretty easy actually...................
Jesus only loves two strokes

CamP

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2009, 04:28:24 pm »
Sounds like your 100LL must be expensive. I pay only $0.92 US per liter for it here and it's readily available. Is the BP98 an unleaded fuel? I use 100LL for the small shot of lead that it contains. I don't run it to squeak out another 1hp out of my RM. Race engines live longer with a little lead and the old two strokes especially like it. A similar leaded race fuel costs 3-4x as much in our area and doesn't run noticeably better.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 04:30:17 pm by CamP »

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2009, 09:00:26 pm »
No such thing as a free lunch, you must tune for the PULP. When you make the changes you get the gains. Kart engines that I have help tune( to the point of deto every time on the track) with PULP BP 98 show no longevity issues due to no lead.Same with my engines.Oil provides the primary lubrication for a two stroke, lead is an anti-knock/octane boost agent

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2009, 10:42:37 pm »
Before i start, please note i have been refered to as Basic before, Ive been running shell 100 LL in a couple of my bikes (RM125N and CR25076 model) which seem to have higher compression than some of my others. The lower comp ones i just run on Vortex 98. seems to work well. I got it from the green goanna. Any one used this stuff?
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2009, 11:16:06 pm »
How well you can actually acheive that with old design Yamaha heads, is another question...
Pretty easy actually...................

Remember that we're talking about one of those silly motors with cams and valves and stuff.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

CamP

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2009, 05:12:53 am »
Oil provides the primary lubrication for a two stroke, lead is an anti-knock/octane boost agent

That's true but lead also acts as a lubricant and adds an extra level of safety for a racing two stroke that gets revved hard. It also increases titanium valve life in four stroke likes my CRF450.

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2009, 09:18:02 am »
LEAD IS GOOD, how do they put into petrol anyway? doesnt seem soluble
Brett
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2009, 09:34:03 am »
That's because it's Tetra Ethyl Lead or (TEL) not something like a sinker.TEL is VERY nasty stuff , it's cumulative in your system and fatal if swallowed. CamP not to labour the point but GP bikes have run just fine on ULP since 97. It's helpful tuning at the very sharp end but by no means is it essential.

Offline ba-02-xr

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2009, 10:33:57 am »
This is the most interesting FOR Sale I have seen

CamP

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2009, 10:40:14 am »
That's because it's Tetra Ethyl Lead or (TEL) not something like a sinker.TEL is VERY nasty stuff , it's cumulative in your system and fatal if swallowed. CamP not to labour the point but GP bikes have run just fine on ULP since 97. It's helpful tuning at the very sharp end but by no means is it essential.

All the major sanctioning bodies have gone to an unleaded fuel spec for only one reason, emissions. Ask any professional race engine builder what fuel he'd prefer to build around and he'll tell you a leaded fuel. 

Even 100LL is on the chopping block. The fuel that will replace it will be similar to the current premium unleaded automotive fuel without ethanol. 
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 10:46:02 am by CamP »

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2009, 10:55:26 am »
TEL isn't all that bad. The reason the world has gone to ULP is because leaded fuel kills catalytic converters.

In the never-ending attempt to simplify things so that even the most dim-witted moron can be convinced of 'stuff', we've simply been told that "lead in fuel is bad for people's health!", when its fundamentally not true.

1. Catalytic converters reduce the nasties coming out of vehicle tail-pipes.
2. Lead kills catalytic converters.
3. Therefore unleaded fuel allows vehicles to be fitted with catalytic converters, and ultimately produce less pollution.
4. Vehicles that are not fitted with a catalytic converter will produce MORE natsies when run on ULP than on leaded petrol, due to the addition of other chemicals to increase the knock thresh-hold.

Normal (in Australia) AvGas, however, has a heap of lead - far more than is useful in a conventional engine.

The ET 102 fuel has been paid for and picked up, BTW.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

ianscr250

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2009, 06:20:38 pm »
run methanol
drill the jets out to double size open the mixture to twice the standard and go hard