Author Topic: Championship twins  (Read 3179 times)

TM BILL

Championship twins
« on: December 13, 2009, 12:50:19 pm »
Josh coppins is riding an Aprillia V twin in MX1 gps next year.
Does anyone on here know when the last time a twin cylinder bike won a MX GP and who was riding it (solos not sidecars)was it Don Rickman at Farleigh castle British GP 1966 ?
Also has a twin cylinder bike ever won a solo MX world championship ?

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Championship twins
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 01:32:33 pm »
Without disappearing into the books I reckon you'd be on the mark with Don Rickman there, Bill. And I sincerely doubt that a twin has ever won a world title. But good on Coppins for breaking things up with one of those horn-sounding Aprilias, because as someone else on here has said, the current mob of fourstroke singles sound like a postie bike with a blown head gasket, woeful !  ::)
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 01:42:42 pm »
Coppins will go backwards, bad move IMO. He must be grasping at straws trying to get a ride. The Aprillia's are good for motard, not so good for MX. I do hope he proves me wrong though.
K

firko

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 01:59:07 pm »
I think you're pretty right Bill...Don Rickman in '66 at Farleigh Castle on the 500 Triumph Metisse. Not a lot of twins competed successfully after that as the two stroke revolution was just around the corner. I hope I'm wrong but I reckon Rickmans record will stay intact, I can't see Coppins shaking them up too much.

TT

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 03:37:34 pm »
What does the rule book say re. number of cylinders?
It's restricted in road racing, but is there any mention for motocross?
Probably no real need as the power increase would be more than off set by weight and it's distribution for motocross I would have thought.

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 04:03:11 pm »
was there a twin cylinder Puch or Gilera in the 70's ?
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2009, 04:05:03 pm »
Coppins will go backwards, bad move IMO. He must be grasping at straws trying to get a ride. The Aprillia's are good for motard, not so good for MX. I do hope he proves me wrong though.
K

bigk yer but he was going backwards anyway(as most do when they'e the oldest out there),he was going to retire remember? Don't think he was actually grasping at straws but if someone (only Aprilla) came up with the right money why not go on? To be fair he's not expected to win the title and it will be alot less pressure for him in his final year.He stated on his facebook that his aim is to develope the bike and get it on the podium at a GP.

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2009, 04:06:03 pm »
was there a twin cylinder Puch or Gilera in the 70's ?

Harry Everts won in 75 on a twin carb(single cylinder)Puch.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2009, 04:22:02 pm »
The Aprillia's are good for motard, not so good for MX

I only know 1 person who has ridden one off road and the report was very 'touchy' and aggressive throttle response. Unless they remap  the ignition fueling the above will prove very correct. However Aprilia have some very clever tuners and engineers, especialy they no longer have 250GP to worry about.If they aprove the resources it won't take them long to get on top of mx.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2009, 05:05:39 pm »
The Aprillia's are good for motard, not so good for MX

I only know 1 person who has ridden one off road and the report was very 'touchy' and aggressive throttle response. Unless they remap  the ignition fueling the above will prove very correct. However Aprilia have some very clever tuners and engineers, especialy they no longer have 250GP to worry about.If they aprove the resources it won't take them long to get on top of mx.
To accomodate the Vtwin the chassis is too long for MX.

TT

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2009, 05:12:59 pm »
bigk yer but he was going backwards anyway(as most do when they'e the oldest out there)

Ok, I've got to admit that I don't follow modern MX a lot, but Josh Coppins is the oldest out there???  :o

I must have nodded off for a decade or so, cos I thought he was still quite young...................  :-\

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2009, 05:55:52 pm »
bigk yer but he was going backwards anyway(as most do when they'e the oldest out there)

Ok, I've got to admit that I don't follow modern MX a lot, but Josh Coppins is the oldest out there???  :o

I must have nodded off for a decade or so, cos I thought he was still quite young...................  :-\

Pichon is a year older but he only came out of retirement to race a few rounds when DeRuever and Stribos were injured.

Josh was was born March 77.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2009, 06:43:06 pm »
Merriman rode a v twin Aprilia last year in the World Enduro and went ok on it. If they can get it working for enduros then motocross won't be a problem. He probably won't win on it but he didn't win this year on Yamaha either. It's probably a good move for his bank balance anyway.

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2009, 11:39:36 am »
We just missed out on a second hand 450 with very little use-sold for 4000 I think. We want a 550 for sidecar cross-wouldn't that be the ducks nuts?? Probably get a protest or two though.

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2009, 05:51:09 pm »
I seem to remember when the aprilia twins first surfaced that there were rumours of honda wanting the rules changed to ban them which died off when they didn't work on a mx track. With all the resources aprilia will have spare now & the experience they will have with injection due to superbikes they may actually be able to surprise a few people