Author Topic: Oh for goodness sakes  (Read 4125 times)

TooFastTim

Oh for goodness sakes
« on: December 12, 2009, 12:03:34 pm »

Offline Mick22

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Oh for goodness sakes
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 12:23:07 pm »
On the surface seems a good idea.
The worst thing they did was go to 800cc, 500's were awesome and the 990's were great to watch but the 800's are bland by comparison.
Now all they have to do is piss off the traction control and control tyre and we can have some good dicing again

Just a reminder of what the 990's were about ;D
One if my favorite vids, despite what it says, the track was bone dry!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nvsit-R53cU
Looking fo a TZ750 anyone with any leads please PM

TooFastTim

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 01:04:42 pm »
Ah, Mick, they don't know what they want. 1000's to 800's (they were warned), then back to 1000's. How much will this cost the factories? And they're already taking a beating. They force Four strokes on MX and price the sport out of the reach of many. Next year we get the 600cc Honda clas instead of the 250 GP class. Aprillia have said "nuts", I don't know about the other boutique teams.

They're mad I tell you.

Offline Mick22

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 01:17:35 pm »
Yep I agree, they're off their heads, for all their mucken around with rules they haven't made the racing any better (probably worse) or any cheaper.

The 250's this year and every other year were great, why mess with it ???

Next thing we'll have one standard bike and engine that all the different manufactures bolt their body work to, Nascar style....i can see it coming!
Looking fo a TZ750 anyone with any leads please PM

trailietrash

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 05:35:06 pm »
The whole event has gone downhill with the loss of the 2 strokes on the race track and the controlled stunt burnouts in the streets of Cowes. If they could put as much effort into finding Bin Laden as they have in destroying the fun of the GP then, I'm sure that the world would be a safer place today.  Until things change for the better then 2006 will be my last GP sojourn  :(

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 06:20:28 pm »
Not a case of madness, it's those corrupt blazer-wearing Spanish clowns who have surreptitiously snuck in and undermined what was for years the greatest sport of all....now reduced to a circus based around a selfish Italian poof, upon whose continued involvement the whole movement is dependent. Let's see what happens when he FINALLY shoots through, and they have no Plan B.... ::)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 08:03:59 pm by GD66 »
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

albrid-3

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 10:01:48 pm »
it should all reverse back to the days of just racing bikes, and the F1 cars where a driver bloody drives the car.

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 05:32:40 pm »
Fireblade engined class for 2013 anyone? This stinks of Honda's self interest again, remember the 800s were in effect just 1 cylinder taken off the 990. I can see the class dying if they get their way as Ducati wouldn't be able to afford the change, Suzuki has gone back to being a sick joke & the team you don't want to race/parade at the back of the feild for, only Yamaha could possibly stay in  :-[

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 05:43:41 pm »
thread hijack: would you like this magazine in your stocking for christmas...in other words is it worth its money.  ???  8)
http://www.cyclenews.com/current-issue
thanks
Best is in the West !!

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2009, 08:30:31 pm »
If you think so. Most American stuff is available in an online equivalent these days, and by now you'd be struggling to get USPS to whiz it to Collie in time for Xmas. Plus the additional hazard of clearing all those reindeer droppings off your roof, mate.... ;)
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

TooFastTim

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2009, 08:56:09 pm »
Fireblade engined class for 2013 anyone?

Tony? Is that Tony27 from TC?

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2009, 10:31:58 am »
....now reduced to a circus based around a selfish Italian poof, upon whose continued involvement the whole movement is dependent.

Ain't that the truth.
On the surface the proposed formula seems a bit daft, but with the 81mm max bore size(min stroke 48.5), max 4 cylinders, the 6 engines per year and spec tyre, underneath lies a tricky technical challenge(bore limits revs, tyre limits HP and 6 engines limits making 300km engines). Max bore will rule out ultra short stroke high reving engines, safe mean piston speeds of around 25m/s will have a rev ceiling of 14,000 and pushing the envelope 29 m/s 15,700 or so. Want to push the boundries you run the risk of having to cop a penalty for an engine swap.The low rev ceiling will not make pneumatic valves necessary when steel and Ti will do perfectly. The max bore rule side steps WSBK's legal threats as none of the current 1000cc road bikes have 81 X 48.5 configuration only the BMW with an 80mm bore comes close.So a production engine case could be used but with alterations to bore and stroke.
The engine should be fairly torquy and not so reliant on gps/gyro maps(but they will have them anyway) and should restore the tyre smoking action of the past, overtaking should be easier too.
Manfacturers will go for it as this is a good way to justify R&D budgets, more HP longer lasting components.The engineers will have to find new materials and coatings to gain the extra 1000rpm that will make the difference. Sadly only factories will have that sort of budget, so expect more of the same.
Will be interesting to see who gets on top of it first, I say Ducati will. No doubt the simulators are running and Solidworks models are on the go................... ;D
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2009, 07:26:16 pm »
Guilty as charged TFT :)

TooFastTim

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2009, 09:39:40 pm »
Didn't know you had a twinshock fetish Tony. Send my love to Kev and I must give Pete & Ian a bell. Spoke the Chris Birch the other day and he's off to the SSDT, dunno whether he's riding.

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2009, 06:52:37 pm »
TFT,got a 73 CZ hidden in the garage & rode the beta importers ty250c at Kaikoura this year, planning on doing the aussie titles with it in the next couple of years. Little bit more sorting then some practise & it'll be good