Author Topic: VMX Nirvana  (Read 3931 times)

Offline jerry

• Legend
  • Beware the work ethic of the evil
    • View Profile
VMX Nirvana
« on: December 11, 2009, 10:49:20 am »
www.primmmxcollection Check it out if you ain't been there already. Cheers Jerry

ianscr250

Re: VMX Nirvana
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 04:12:28 pm »
greg primm is his name for memory he is slowly building a museum of bikes and as far as i know has one of if not the biggest collection of builds from days gone by

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 09:04:35 pm »
I thought the whole thing went belly-up.
12 months or so ago there was a bit of press floating around reporting that the museum had closed it doors and bikes were being farmed back out to their respective owners. Not sure about the validity of it all.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 11:08:32 pm by Bahnsy »
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline lukeb1961

• Legend
  • PE175N, RM80B, JR50C
    • View Profile
    • PE175N
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 10:50:10 pm »

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 12:23:51 am »
Market Conditions stopping the displays????? What does that load of pus filled bullshit mean on the web site???
 Anyhow I (as a lot of forum members already know )think static museums are bloody machine mausoleums ,  sad deaths of the imprisoned race bikes destined never to be fired up again.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 09:45:35 am by Tim754 »
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline lukeb1961

• Legend
  • PE175N, RM80B, JR50C
    • View Profile
    • PE175N
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 06:27:25 am »
Agreed!
That is why I LOVED it when I visited http://www.wheelsthroughtime.com/ in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina.

Dale (the owner) would wander up and chat to you about the bikes and their history, and if you showed any kind of interest, he would wheel it out of the display, and smoke it up - right there in the aisle of the museum !!!!

That is when I realised what all the black marks on the floor were  ;D

THE best museum experience on the planet. EVERY bike runs, EVERY bike gets taken onto the road or track.

TooFastTim

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 09:50:07 am »
Crappy piece of software. made viewing the pics a chore. I gave up.

Why, oh, must people throw technology at a simple problem with an equally simple solution?

firko

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2009, 11:36:28 pm »
I hate bike/car museums. While I appreciate that the bikes have been preserved for us to see, I always get a sad feeling when looking at them. It's as if the bike is whispering "psst Firko, get me out of here! to me as I walk past.
I restored a '73 250 Maico for a well known and wealthy identity a few years ago thinking it was going to be his race bike. I spent an inordinate amount of time on the engine making sure it would be as reliable and fast as possible. I fitted a NOS Magnum clutch, one of the first PVL ignitions in the country, a brand new factory pipe, brand new alloy Konis and even went to a lot of bother to fit tapered roller head bearings. I painted the the original fibreglass a beautiful factory red and prepped a set of plastic race fenders and alloy tank for racing. Sadly, the bike never fired a note in anger after it left my house. It's been sitting in the Nabiac museum for at least 15 years along with many of the owners other bikes and it shits me seeing it sit there deteriorating by not being used......Yep, I hate museums.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 11:40:06 pm by firko »

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2009, 12:05:52 am »
that link doesn't work for me
http://www.primmmxcollection.com/
me either   :(
always get a sad feeling when looking at them. It's as if the bike is whispering "psst Firko, get me out of here! to me as I walk past.

I hear that whisper and sadness too,especially when I know what they are capable of.  8)
Not like some old Sunbeam Harvester which is really passed it and a bullock team would totally destroy it's wooden frame within seconds.  :(    Vintage Iron lasts longer  ;D
Best is in the West !!

mx250

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2009, 07:01:27 am »
I hate bike/car museums. While I appreciate that the bikes have been preserved for us to see, I always get a sad feeling when looking at them. It's as if the bike is whispering "psst Firko, get me out of here! to me as I walk past.
I restored a '73 250 Maico for a well known and wealthy identity a few years ago thinking it was going to be his race bike. I spent an inordinate amount of time on the engine making sure it would be as reliable and fast as possible. I fitted a NOS Magnum clutch, one of the first PVL ignitions in the country, a brand new factory pipe, brand new alloy Konis and even went to a lot of bother to fit tapered roller head bearings. I painted the the original fibreglass a beautiful factory red and prepped a set of plastic race fenders and alloy tank for racing. Sadly, the bike never fired a note in anger after it left my house. It's been sitting in the Nabiac museum for at least 15 years along with many of the owners other bikes and it shits me seeing it sit there deteriorating by not being used......Yep, I hate museums.
I'm with you Firko although I'll stop short of 'I hate Museums'; My problem is I become overwhelmed. I know it's a personal prob relating to a feeble mind but seeing a 100 or 200 bikes crowded in cheek to jowl doesn't do it for me. I lose the appreciation of the history and significance of each of the bikes despite their impeccable pedigrees. 

Where as at a CD or race meeting; the sight, the sound, the smell of a living breathing, thumping, raucous, screeching beast brings it alive and gives each bike a life and a significances :).

(I'll go and have my meds now ;D).

Curly3

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2009, 08:07:15 pm »
Two things the " Museums " do achieve is to introduce people who haven't enjoyed what we all have, and to remind those who forgot.
Nabiac is in a great location for passing interest.
It is a hard to see some of the real gems without being able to throw the leg.

Offline pirie593

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2009, 02:24:17 pm »
I got to see (and even sit on a couple) the HRC collection of 1980's and 1990's World 500cc MX winning CR's all together at the Hockenheim museum back in 2002...........thank (G)god for museums  8)  8)  8)

Offline DR500

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2009, 09:19:33 pm »
I would prefer to see old bikes used, instead of moth balled too! mind you this collection at ipswich is good to see.http://www.australianmotorcyclemuseum.com.au/

Offline RED ALERT

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2009, 10:04:17 pm »
I agree that it would be best to see and hear these old bikes on the track again, but the Primm collection was a very cool thing indeed. We were lucky to get to see it twice. All we did was ask around and show an interest in seeing it and we got an invitation. The second time there must have been a group of ten or more West Aussies in there and to see and talk about virtually every bike we owned in our youth was a blast. Who wouldnt enjoy twisting the throttle on a collection of DeCoster's old works Suzooks. Also a lot of memorabilia from those races you only read about in magazines back in the day. I could have camped in there for a few days I reckon.
Both times we were thanked for coming and given a t-shirt and six-pack of MotoBrew each. You'd have to be a very grumpy individual not to enjoy that.  ??? ;D