Author Topic: early YZ plastics  (Read 5106 times)

mainline

early YZ plastics
« on: December 08, 2009, 06:14:58 pm »
has anyone bought any of these ?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390110161667&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I'd rather buy locally from Concourse plastics, but I don't think he's got to the early stuff yet has he?

IT400C

Re: early YZ plastics
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 07:25:13 pm »
I haven't bought any plastics off him yet (I'm waiting for the IT blue versions to arrive in the new year), but I have bought other stuff off Yuni Parts.

From what I've seen so far, his reproductions are as good as the originals.  And if there is any discrepency from the original, it'll be detailed in the eBay ad.

I bought a set of repro '76 yamaha fork gators off him (the ones with the brass vents in the bottom), and when I sat them beside my NOS set, I could hardly tell the difference.  They even had the brass vents!

I've had some email discussions with Andrew (Yuni Parts/Yuni's Place), and he's just started getting into other Yamaha plastics.  He used to just concentrate on TT/XT stuff.  He's bought all the moulds he can find, and gets them injection moulded at a factory he's used many times before and is happy with.

They should be very high quality, but it will depend on the quality of the mould he's bought.

All in all, I reckon it's definitely worth a try.  As he gets some cash flow from the moulds he's just bought, he intends getting new moulds made for other Yamaha plastics.

mx250

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 07:31:02 pm »
I got one. I got it to try it and compare it. The price was right and the freight reasonable.

The shape is close but not quite right - it is shorter front and rear. They have a yellow one which might be correct or a better fit. I want a silver one so I thought the white painted was a better option to yellow painted. Quality, finish and flexibility are all good. I'll use the white one on my Monty Bitza - it will look period.

I've been hanging out for more than 12 months for Scott to come good. I've asked but haven't got a response. Hopefully Scott will come good shortly, his quality is worth the wait.

IT400C

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 07:43:59 pm »

IT400C

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 07:55:46 pm »

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 10:54:55 pm »
Id take 5 if you wanna make up the otherr 5, says 10 get free shipping and thats any fenders in the 10.

Im looking for front and rear so im keen, im sick of waiting.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/SUPERSAVER-DT125-DT250-DT400-YZ125-YZ250-YZ400-RD125_W0QQitemZ390127248948QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Motorcycle_Parts?hash=item5ad5656634
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 11:53:48 am »
has anyone bought any of these ?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390110161667&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

just got mine in the mail,
the shape is nice but like Graeme said earlier in this thread they are a bit short out front.
quality of finish and flexability are spot on, so i'd like to think the rest of his product line is also the goods.
it's a thumbs up from Vandy but a small minus for the length out front.
"flat bickie"

mx250

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 12:21:02 pm »
For your viewing pleasure ;D (and for comparison 8)).

As you can see the general shape is close. Definitely not good enough for a NOS resto but great for any period racer especially RT/DT1 and MX250/125 etc 8). Even Monties ;).

mx250

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 01:15:07 pm »
Does anyone know if the painted silver gray MX250 front guard and the yellow MX250a are the same in all regards?

Offline vandy010

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 01:22:18 pm »
http://www.amsracing.com/body_works.php

the first yamaha pic with all the guards etc
the two front guards on the right of picture as we look at it.
i bought 3 of them ages ago and thier shape is perfect YZa material.
quality/flexability etc are all good too.
they're my favourite front Yammie guard but just thought i'd try the pommie ones as they were pretty affordable.
can't quite answer your question though Greame, sorry mate.
"flat bickie"

mx250

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 01:44:50 pm »
Vandy, do you recall the price of the AMS Yammy guards?

Offline vandy010

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2009, 02:40:04 pm »
Vandy, do you recall the price of the AMS Yammy guards?
it was a while back and no, i don't remember.
it wasn't quite as cheap as i'd liked but the shape/quality is good.
an email to them will soon give you that answer.
"flat bickie"

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2009, 03:11:43 pm »
Nah there bloody good looking at the pic graeme, im keen, not keen on the gloss, butim sure that will fade out or can be cut back
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

firko

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2009, 06:37:43 pm »
great for any period racer especially RT/DT1
With respect to others tastes Graeme, these mudguards are in my opinion absolutely wrong on RT1/DT1s. In a sport mainly populated by bikes swaythed in plastic, the steel and/or alloy guards on a DT1 are what seperates them visually from the later models. I reckon we should be preserving the look of particular eras not disguise old bikes to look like something from a later period. Other than that, those mudguards are the ticket on later YZ and MX models.

THREAD HIJACK: I'm looking for used, patinated but still usable and recognisable DT2MX mudguards for my new little toy. I want to maintain the weatherbeaten patina but must humbly admit that the fenders are ratshit, beyond use. I'd like the guards to maintain a similar degree of weathering but be usable and still maintain remnants of the silver paint/red stripe.
Big ask or what?

mx250

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2009, 08:58:05 pm »
There no question that this it the best period look.

But this is not inappropriate. Back on the day I had a DT1 with a plastic MX guard - it wasn't 68 but plenty of DT/RT etc etc ended up with plastic guards. First the Petty Preston plastic blades and then the MX type. And it doesn't look out of place to my eye (unlike black rims ::)) ;D.

I have a look for a patina guard for you - don't hold your breath my stash is in several locations. There maybe something at my brother's place, Millthorpe -Bathurst.