Author Topic: Death of the Pollywaffle  (Read 5916 times)

Offline Rosco86

• A-Grade
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
Death of the Pollywaffle
« on: December 07, 2009, 01:28:43 pm »
While probably well overdue, VMX did have quite a role with this interseting energy source. Was either late 73 or 74 that the Hartwell MCC got involved with the sweets manufacturer. All the club MX boys were invited for a "free" ride day at the Christmas Hills circuit in return for doing some shots for a TV advertisement. Any chance to practice there was like gold. Chris Oldfield and myself had just gotten some copy Maico-Belray works jumpers and were given pride of place as we popped over the main straight jump a couple of times. it was a hot and dusty day so at the lunch break we headed over to the young ladies who were playing the crowd scene hanging off the fence. After learning they were getting paid $80 bucks for the day (big dollars) we felt pretty ripped off by the club. Never found out how much ever did go back to the club or individuals? (Around that time there were some very intersting deals- Avalon International Road Race meeting has a very intersting financial saga) While the "spectators" from the aspiring acting school lunched on refidgerated goumet food we had the sangers and water. Andrew Horne was asked to do a shot eating a pollywaffle, simulating a post race feast, you can immagine where it ended up. If there had of been a pool it would have made the great party joke. While not earth shattering it is just another snippet of mx aust history. Not many times did you see MX bikes on the TV, except for the odd rallycross. When you look back at sales, MX should have been on TV more but I guess the technology wasn't good enough to make it TV friendly. Unlikely it could be located in TV archives but you never know. May try a hunt in the new year. Any other forum members there?
NQ Rosco (Soon to be BrisVegas Rosco, Yee hah)

mainline

Re: Death of the Pollywaffle
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 05:54:20 pm »
I can remember the Crunchie ad from the early 80's, I think it had 3 RM's coming up over a jump. Can't remember the Pollywaffle one though, sorry ;D

You'll be joining all the local clubs down here then Rosco?

Offline Rosco86

• A-Grade
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 10:13:13 am »
Hey Mainline
Will definetly be joining the clubs (Brissy/QVMX) but participation will be limited for a while. booked in to the Wesley Hospital on Jan 19th to have a racing back fitted. Need 8 titanium pins to space out 4 collapsed discs plus some other hardware to hold it together. Also have to have bone spurs removed from the spinal column. Just basically hoping I can walk out of the hospital as anything with the back always has a significant risk. If everything goes ok will be able to help out, wave a flag etc until fit enough to have a dirt track ride. Will probably look towards the end of the year to have an mx ride. Hope to catchup with a few forum members in the new year. (I'll probably be more welcomed as a volunteer than a rider as is the case in all mx clubs!)
NQ Rosco.

firko

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 10:57:26 am »
You'll have to park a tad closer to the Kevlar Kompound at CD7 Rossco. AJs bringing his CCM so they need to be together! ;D

Offline Rosco86

• A-Grade
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 11:11:39 am »
Done deal Firko.

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 05:23:29 pm »
DEVASTATED......
As soon as it was announced, i had my local IGA (Where my daughter works part time) order me a complete box. Was told that this may not be possible as the demand far outstripped the supply when the order was made to stop production.

Does this also mean that the Bill Murray scene in Caddy Shack is now well and truly a thing of the past?

You can jam all the other Mars Bars, Snickers etc, i'm old school, Polywaffles, Chomps and Curly Wurly's. What am i meant to do now?
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

mainline

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 05:34:08 pm »
move onto Turkish Delight  ;)

mainline

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2009, 05:34:57 pm »
best of luck with the op Rosco, look forward to catching up at a meet next year.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 09:45:22 pm »
THE 62-year-old Polly Waffle choc bar is being axed — a victim of Kit Kat's success.

Nestle yesterday confirmed that production of the marshmallow-filled treat is to stop, citing steadily declining sales.

But the company also hinted the Polly Waffle has an "old image" problem and may simply be past its use-by date.

"It's costing more to produce than what we get back in sales," Nestle's Fran Hernon said, adding that it had been a difficult decision.

"Everybody says they love the Polly Waffle but the truth is no one buys it today. The time for it has been and gone."

Ironically the success of other Nestle products has hastened the end of the Polly Waffle. Ms Hernon said consumers now prefer the new Kit Kat Four-Finger and Kit Kat Chunky Smarties for the same price.
you can still purchase POLLY WAFFLES on Ebay for a sweet $10  ::)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 10:03:09 pm by VMX247 »
Best is in the West !!

TT

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2009, 09:30:13 am »
You have to look hard, but there's a motocrosser in this advert right at the end.  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuKITlpAENo

FWIW I can remember getting a Pollwaffle in the first show bag I ever got. Last one I ever ate..................  :-\
The Rawhide Kid comic in there was pretty cool though.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 09:31:52 am by Tony T »

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2009, 09:57:31 am »
You have to look hard, but there's a motocrosser in this advert right at the end.  ;D

Couldn't miss it cause it was all yellow    :-*  :P  ;D
Best is in the West !!

firko

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2009, 10:52:42 am »
The demise of the Pollywaffle is a sad example of yet another of Australias icons going down the shitter. The poor old Pollywaffle's been on borrowed time for a while apparently, according to those who eat such things. Like Tony I got one in my showbag this year and it looked and tasted nothing like the Pollywaffles of my 'Wonder Years'. The waffle was half the size and the filling is some sort of marshmallow gloop that's nothing like the creamy cocncoction of yesteryear. It's kinda like the Wagon Wheel that's now half it's original size, the rock hard Iced VoVo, the three quarter dowsizing of the MonteCarlo, the demise of the Tosca, the bland piss that now calls itself Resches that is nothing like the wonderful bitter of the 60s/70s and shitloads more. Marketing today driven by Gen X and Y tossers possessing no afinity with the traditional old products from an earlier era who are guided by what's being hoisted up the flagpole in "the LA office" and the account balance. Tradition and quality are no longer buzz words.  ::)

Who's got some other examples of products that have changed so much that they're barely recognisable or have disappeared without a trace or of products that have been withdrawn or tarted up for political correctness ( Nigger Boy Soap Pads)I'm sorry about the thread hijack but it does tie in with the Subject line.   
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 11:23:59 am by firko »

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2009, 11:02:49 am »
I also miss the big BOSS cigars with the sparkly lite end, first part to be eaten.  ;D
 I finally gave up smoking 4 years ago  :o   ::)

and I miss the old story books like seeing Big Ears sleeping with Noddy.The innocents of it all.  8)
cheers

cheers

Best is in the West !!

Offline cyclegod

• Legend
  • Sunny PERTH W.A
    • View Profile
    • cyclegod on "youtube"
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2009, 11:11:36 am »
Funnily enough I miss MacDonalds, the original MacDonalds, not the sanitized, microwaved, red tick approved, "MacSubways" passing itself off under the same corporate logo, we have today. Get stuffed Morgan Spurlock  >:( thanks for nothing.
Ban BLACK rims NOW

mainline

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2009, 06:12:02 pm »
You have to look hard, but there's a motocrosser in this advert right at the end. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuKITlpAENo

That's the one I was talking about!! Bloody youtube has everything on it! Appears though that my memory has faded as there was only one bike not three ;D

As for things changing for the worse, I've recently found a local bakery that sells sausage rolls that are just like I remember, ie. good sized, spicy meat, and great flaky pastry, and not dried out dog poo wrapped in some tasteless yellow cardboard pretending to be pastry.

I seem to find a way to be driving past the bakery more and more often ;D