Author Topic: Oldest rider going around  (Read 4696 times)

Offline jerry

• Legend
  • Beware the work ethic of the evil
    • View Profile
Oldest rider going around
« on: December 03, 2009, 12:40:33 pm »
Who is the oldest current rider out there? Is it Bert from Qld who lent me jumper leads at Mirboo North recently?

firko

Re: Oldest rider going around
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 01:36:04 pm »
Bill Pengilly from NSW or Bill Watson from WA. They're both in their early 80's and still having a go. I can't remember which is the oldest, but I suspect Bill W at 82. His son's a regular here so it won't be long before he sets us straight. Bill Watson is especially fast on his Huskys, he rides like a 40 year old while Bill Pengilly regularly rides both his immaculate Yammy MX250 and MX360 in two classes at Nepean dirt track events. Even better, they're both really nice old farts !

Offline micks

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 06:00:11 pm »
firko less of the suspect this is important!. bill pengilly is 83 

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 06:01:19 pm »
how good is that.

that's something to aspire to.
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

All Things 414

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 06:24:37 pm »
What about that poor old white headed bugger that turns up to VIPER now and then. Rides one of those 'ol Honda clunkers and he has a ball out there. What the hell is his name?! ??? He's number 23 or 31 or something like that. Gee he has a hard time getting that old banger going but I guees when you get to that age....... :P

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 06:42:58 pm »
are you referring to that "Silver Top Taxi" Bloke ???
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 07:21:23 pm »
shit my missus would shoot me
if i was still riding at 83
she has already put up with it for 30 years :o
follow me to first turn

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 07:31:01 pm »
I reckon we could just about break the over 55's class up on a good day, as its getting way full, :o
might give the younger ones a chance to get a win. :P.......maybe go an over 65 class  ;D
cheers
Best is in the West !!

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 08:38:47 pm »
Good incentive to hang in there, guys. The Over-55s was the best race at the Bridgetown show last Saturday night under lights, a five-way knuckle-up for the lead, poor old Stan Reid led into turn one on the last lap and crossed the line fifth ! Huge !  ;D
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2009, 04:55:54 pm »
Me and Dennis and Len are waiting for an over 70s class [sliders] cheers wally.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2009, 10:59:25 am »
I reckon we could just about break the over 55's class up on a good day, as its getting way full, :o
might give the younger ones a chance to get a win. :P.......maybe go an over 65 class  ;D
cheers

Alison another pearl of wisdom, wish there was an over 65 in WA, might have a chance of getting up the front in the over 55's.  If anyone thinks the old farts are slow or don't have a go.  We regularly have 15-20 riders each event

lets see, Bill Waton (80's) hardest bloke to pass on the track and not frightened of removing you from his line (I know!!lol)  Bill (64), was the one flown out of nat's by helo this yr, already in training for pre75 and pre 85 events next yr.  Graeme (71) broke 4 ribs this yr, a real hard charger on a CCM.  There are others too like Frank, known as being as "soft as barb wire".  Stan, never rode a an MX bike with a front brake, don't thing he still knows how to use it.  Me 56, cracked ribs, dislocated shoulder and still running at the back!!lol

Ask bill davis from texas, rode to well in the first event at Wandering (27 riders), only made the first corner in the second event, when his bike went missing, (hospital) sorry Bill but will ride shotgun for you this year

Don't mess with the old farts in the West, because you'll regret it.

long live the Slick Silver Foxes and the Chrome Dome warriors.

Over heard at collie whilst old farts had a cuppa "OK are we all going to take the tabletop, you sure we can make it Ok I'm in"
1973 Rickman Zundapp Metisse, to rebuild
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2009, 09:14:02 pm »
Dennis King - saw him at nepean on the last race day, he is approx 80 or so. Great Fellow
Brett
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline Rosco86

• A-Grade
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2009, 10:15:34 am »
Bit amazing really when you consider the numbers above, that makes Don Newel at about 73 a young pup! He will be pleased to hear that.
NQ Rosco.

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2009, 03:07:53 pm »
Settle down there old yz dude, Dennis and I are the same age at 72 years [plus a month or so], we need a 'nother ten years to catch up with bill! cheers wally.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline supersenior 50

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2009, 03:33:02 pm »
For the last two Nats , both MX [Tas & Conondale ] and D/T [Canberra & Barleigh Ranch ] there have been "Superseniors ] awards to riders over 70. There were six at Conondale. Sponsored by VMX Magazine it has been a great opportunity to celebrate the continuing participation of these riders .To put their efforts in perspective ,at Conondale one of these riders SON was competing in the OVER 50 class,while another two had sons in the over 40 class . So , the SONS began their riding careers before many of the teens & twenties on our grids were born.
As in last ASPAC Masters Games , an "Over 70 " class is included in both ENduro & MX for the next Games on the Gold Coast on 6&7 Nov 2010.